A Monday Morning Meeting With A Twist

By Brad Anderson

A monday morning meeting with a twist

Brad Anderson
Utah, 2009, DIY, Public Land 

This story doesn’t start like the typical hunting story. I was sitting at my desk on Monday morning after the opening weekend, wallowing in self pity because I wasn’t out hunting. Due to work obligations, I was only able to hunt for three hours opening morning.

While sitting at my desk, the phone rang. You know it’s important when the voice on the other end is nothing but a whisper asking, “Brad have you got your hunting stuff with you?” I about fell out of my chair when Mike whispered, “He’s bedded.”

My heart sank when Mike explained where my buck was and how the sun might hit him in a couple of hours and cause him to move. For the next few seconds time stood still. I told them I would be there as fast as I could.

I could not sit at work a minute longer, so I hit the doors running. The people I work with have been around me long enough to know that when I move that fast during hunting season, things must be serious. They all shouted “good luck” as I tore out of the parking lot.

My wonderful wife should get a medal for putting up with me. I ran in the front door like a wild man grabbing for my gear while yelling at her to get my bow and hurry! This is not the first time this has happened. So without hesitation, she grabbed my bow and ran it out to my truck. Tysa smiled, kissed me on the cheek, and said good luck. I wasn’t sure how I was going to pull this off. I had only an hour to make a drive that usually takes two.

I’m not sure how the little Toyota did it, but it got me there in record time. I need to apologize to all those on the road with me that day. If you read this then you must hunt; therefore, you should understand the state of mind I was in. It was go time!

I looked through the scope and there he was. I couldn’t believe he was in a stalkable location. He lay there with a younger buck next to him under some cliffs, and they looked as if they didn’t have a care in the world. I started to get nervous.

To give you a little history, this hunt started months before. We had watched this buck several mornings and nights trying to pinpoint some kind of a daily pattern. It seemed like every time we thought we had him figured out, he would change. Things got really frustrating, really fast. It had been one of my goals to try to spot and stalk a mule deer with my bow. Just my luck, it was on the deer of a lifetime. Talk about pressure!

I couldn’t take it any longer, so I discussed my plan of attack with my friends that had spotted him and I was off. They stayed behind to run the video camera and to spot for me.

A monday morning meeting with a twist

For a full account of Brad's adventure, go to page 18 in the November/December 2010 issue of Eastmans' Bowhunting Journal.