PDA

View Full Version : 235 fps too slow????

chad
07-23-2011, 09:40 AM
my brother has bad shoulders and can't pull a lot of weight on his bow. he has it crank down and its shooting a 400 gr arrow at around 235fps. I figure its producing about 49 ft/lbs of KE. is this enough for elk? he's using montec G5 heads

Joe Hulburt
07-23-2011, 11:26 AM
One of my sons killed a bull his first year archery hunting at age 12 shooting a 50# bow with a really short draw lenght due to his size at the time. I think it was around 235 fps but never shot it thru a chrony.

I had reservations on buying him a tag but decided if he used a cut on impact (two blade) broadhead and held out for a perfect broadside shot at 20 yards or less he would be good to go. It worked out perfect! He double lunged a bull at 7 yards and he only went 25 yards and was dead.

I think your brother would be sitting a little better with his set up and would be just fine out to 30 yards as long as he chooses the proper broadhead that will provide good penetration. That is my opinion anyhow based on a personal experience. Good luck!

BOHNTR
07-23-2011, 12:37 PM
I can remember when 215 fps was fast for a compound....and they killed lots of critters. Use a cut-on-contact head (Stinger, VPA, etc) and you'll have more than enough.

Drhorsepower
07-23-2011, 03:44 PM
I am shooting 250fps and was kinda wondering the same thing. I am shooting axis 340 with 100 gr broadheads. It is because of my short draw length.

OR Archer
07-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Like was said before use a good cut on contact 2 blade head and with proper shot placement and itll do the job more than adequately.

Elkcrazedfrk
07-23-2011, 10:11 PM
I may have the same problem.. I had shoulder surgery in April. I know woman who are shooting heavier draw weight than me.. THats ok though, I dont think she can hit anything.

RUTTIN
07-24-2011, 09:53 PM
like has been said before use a two blade broadhead, limit your shots to shorter yardages, and broadside shots and you should do fine. I shoot a two blade Magnus Stinger, just because I like the penetration I get with them.

07-25-2011, 02:01 PM
That set up will work fine. I used to shoot something similar and never had an issue.

Stringmusic
07-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Not as issue. If anything, shoot a heavier arrow, or shoot 125's.

Bitterroot Bulls
07-25-2011, 03:09 PM
235 fps too slow?

No.

Drhorsepower
07-25-2011, 07:35 PM
What do you mean cut on contact? I am using rage 2 blade.

RUTTIN
07-26-2011, 07:07 AM
What do you mean cut on contact? I am using rage 2 blade. The blade is continuous, and starts cutting from the tip. Like Magnus Stingers, Bear Razors, Steel Force etc.

plentycoupe
08-01-2011, 04:45 AM
waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to slow!! Oh wait, I had a pass through on deer with 144 fps and a buddy passed through a moose with 170 fps, I guess he should be good to go!
Arrow weight and broadhead MA make up for speed all day long. Oh and goods shots do to. Sorry for the sarcasm, probably the mood I'm in.
Tell him pick his shots wisely and shoot straight and go kill a giant bull!

schlaggerman
08-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I've never killed anything with a bow that fast. All my recurves shoot around 195-198 fps. I would get rid of those Rage expandable broadheads however and use a cut on contact head like has been mentioned. Magnus and Zwickey heads are excellent as are The VPA 3 blade heads. Shot completely through a nice 5x5 bull elk with a 4 blade Magnus broadhead on a 540 gr. arrow. I realize caribou are a smaller animal than an elk but I've killed three of them with my setup and none of them stopped the arrow from completely passing through the animal. Likewise for 5 or 6 bears. The only animal I haven't gotten complete penetration on was a moose and that arrow buried to the fletching. A quality cut on contact broadhead is a great advantage to the bowhunter. They are old school, if you like, but they do the job.

rpeebles
08-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Don't get hung up on speed. Shoot a good, heavy arrow with a sharp broadhead and put it in the right spot.

Coyoteman
08-14-2011, 09:40 PM
235 is plenty fast.

Get a good fixed blade, cut on contact broadhead (perhaps even a two blade design).....stay AWAY from mechanicals as they'll eat up even more energy on blade deployment.

Keep shots reasonable and responsible and you'll be dining on backstraps in no time.