PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking tents and tripods

go4steelhd
02-21-2011, 11:31 AM
I am looking at getting a new tent my old one is about ten years old; but its only 3.6 lbs. It was fairly weather proof. I would like to stay at that wieght or less. Also I haven't found a light wieght tri pod for my swaroski 65mm spotting scope that works well. Lets hear what you guys are useing and how you like them.

packer
02-21-2011, 12:31 PM
I bought a vanguard Alta 225 CT. They are made from carbon fiber supper light and strong. They have many heads that will adapt a large assortment of cameras/ scopes. You can goggle them. If you need help get back to me.

rpeebles
02-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Whenit comes to tents, look at the Akto by Hilleberg. It runs about $425.00. I have a friend that swears by this one man tent and I have read good reviews. However, I don't have first hand experience with this tent, it's out of my budget.

Pass Thru
02-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Check out some of the 3 season and 4 season tents from Eureka. They work great and are economical and light weight. I use a one person for early season and 2 person for later when the weather gets nasty. All the gear can be in the tent with you. If price isn't too big a deal, Hilleberg tents are incredible although a little heavier.

02-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Integral Designs http://www.integraldesigns.com/ has got some great ultra light gear. It can be a little pricey, not that much more than other high end gear, and the materials are amazing. I've had the bivy for a few years and it is amazing. I've rolled out of the sac in 5 inches of snow and 4 inches of standing water in a downpour and never been wet. They make some great 1-3 person tents and tarps as well.

Arrownocker
02-22-2011, 08:12 AM
When it comes to a tripod I've been using the Vortex High Country. It's lightweight (Only 2.10lbs) and is very versitale. It works very well with a 65mm Swarovski. The best part about it is that it's only $79.99.

lukeandwillsdad
02-22-2011, 05:57 PM
On the tripod, if your not in a hurry, check with camofire.com. They've had some carbon tripods of late at a good deal. You just have to sign up for their texts/emails and be ready to buy. On tents, backcountrygear.com had the carbon msr's on sale recently.

go4steelhd
02-23-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the help. Google was alot of help on all this.

AZ Hunter
02-23-2011, 04:31 PM
I bought a bushnell tripod a few years ago, from Sportsman Warehouse. I think it's made by Slik. It's about 3.5 pounds and I can sit or stand. It was around $120. I've been really happy with it. Unfortunately, for good stability with high power optics, especially in wind, the tripod needs some weight.

Bigstrap
02-23-2011, 09:45 PM
I've got the NEMO Espri 2P and love it. Also, the tents by Big Agnes are really nice. As tripods go, you can't beat the Vortex High Country for $79.00!

Duk Dog
02-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Whenit comes to tents, look at the Akto by Hilleberg. It runs about $425.00. I have a friend that swears by this one man tent and I have read good reviews. However, I don't have first hand experience with this tent, it's out of my budget.

A buddy of mine runs the Hilleberg Akto and it seems like a sweet tent. I currently am using the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. Possibly in the market for something different this year.

Rob
02-26-2011, 05:30 PM
The Hilleberg Akto has served me well the past 5 yrs. I could use a tripod upgrade also. Some good tips on here, thanks.

RUTTIN
03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I have been pleased with my Cabelas XPG tent(two man) I have been in some pretty nasty weather in it and stayed dry. It has a nice rain fly that sits above the tent, vents well, and I like the big vestibule to put my boots and gear in out of the weather.

BOHNTR
03-04-2011, 04:55 PM
I own 5 different packing tents from various well known manufacturers......too many I know. The one I've used the last three seasons is the Big Agnes SL1. VERY lightweight, bombproof, and the most room (for a one man tent) I've found. No condensation, tub floor, and enough room to sit up in for me.

go4steelhd
03-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Bohnter. I got the Sl2. Its realy light weihgt. Do you use a foot print it seems thin on the bottom? Also have you camped in a good rain with it?

twp1224
03-06-2011, 12:17 PM
I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. It is the lightest one man tent i could find. 1lb 14oz. It has not let me down in 3 years. Easy to setup, freestanding and easy to pack. I pack the poles seperate from the tent body which allows me to compress the tent more. As far as a tripod i'm looking for one this year too and interested in what everyone has to say.

BOHNTR
03-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Bohnter. I got the Sl2. Its realy light weihgt. Do you use a foot print it seems thin on the bottom? Also have you camped in a good rain with it?

I don't use a footprint in the areas I backpack in.....it's generally above timberline with a fairly soft ground with vegetation. I've had my SL1 in some of the most torrential downpours, snow, etc......everything you could encounter while bowhunting velvet clad mule deer. It's never let me down or even thought about leaking.

The Fly Creek UL1 is also very light.......about 10 ounces less the SL1. The "packed" weight is what I usually carry in (tent, poles, guy lines, stakes). Both are very lightweight and quality products. My next favorite backpacking tent is made by Marmot......also bombproof, but about a 1.5 pounds heavier.

Fetch
03-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I have been using a telescopic walking stick with a lightweight Burris spotting scope. The walking stick has a threaded stud that the scope screws right onto. The adjustable height allows me to sit or stand with just a twist of the shaft. Weighs in at less than a pound too. I strike hunt, pack out three to four days at a time...for weight savings this really cuts down on the pounds and is handy to walk with as well.

mthuntress
03-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Does anyone use a OR Bivy?Any thoughts?
I'm looking to up grade from the old tarp/sleepingbag "roll"as we called it thing to something more waterproof.

brudno
03-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Does anyone use a OR Bivy?Any thoughts?
I'm looking to up grade from the old tarp/sleepingbag "roll"as we called it thing to something more waterproof.

I got an OR bivy, builds up lots of condensation wide open or with a 6" vent. Was really important to dry my bag out during the day. So I had to hope for at least an hour or so of good weather.

mthuntress
03-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks maybe I'll check out a tent then.

macker
04-14-2011, 09:55 PM
can't go wrong with a Hilleberg!

Maxhunter
04-15-2011, 05:50 AM
Take a look at the Big Agnes Flycreek 1 or 2 very light.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreekUL1

SDbowhunter
04-27-2011, 09:23 PM
I currently use a Mountain Hardware Skyledge 2.1 Its a really nice two person tent, only a hair over 3lbs and had two good sized vestibules, I took it backpacking in CO last summer for 5 days and it preformed well all around. rained every day was cold and hot and the tent worked well, the material is pretty durable as well, never tore or scratched. this winter I slept in it when it was -7 degrees and it worked great, its a three season but i would have no problems using this tent in the winter with a good bad and pad. Its the best tent I've found for the weight/vestibule size/money. I would get a hilleberg but they are heavier and more expensive.

Graylight
04-28-2011, 05:42 PM
We have been using a small Outdoorsmans tripod with a pistol grip... Cut the centerpost to save weight, packs small and is insanely bombproof!

Grizzley
05-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Kifaru Tipi...you can't go wrong! Bombproof with or without the portable heater! A little money but the Kifaru forum had a couple for sale last week.

OTT2
05-06-2011, 03:33 PM
My first backpacking tent was a MSR Hubba Hubba. I really like this tent and all the room it has. The side entry is great when the weather is bad. The down side is it weighs close to 5 lbs.

To cut weight last year I bought a BA Fly Crk UL1. Nice tent. Easy to set up and super light. My goal was to cut weight. Thought about getting a bivy but when your around mosquitos it's nice to be able to get in the tent at night and not be worried.

pcc2b
05-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Check out the tarptent moment 1 person. sub 2lb tent for $215. My father in law used it last year for a early season archery mule deer hunt in CO at 12,000 ft. for 7 nights and loved it. I have a eureka spitfire 1 person. Weighs about 3 lbs but is only about $100. No complaints on the Eureka but I am going to upgrade to the tarptent this year just to save weight. Oh one last thing the eureka is not freestanding, but the tarptent is.

coyhuntermn
07-19-2011, 07:55 AM
I found one you probably have never heard of check out the Appy Trails mark V similar to the tarptent or Kifaru around 2lbs and can sleep 2 plus gear. Reviews are very good on it and only $125 I have not slept in it yet but its well made.

cjidland
08-29-2011, 09:35 PM
ALPS has a good selection of light weight tents, and a good price too