PDA

View Full Version : Bighorn Mts Elk and Deer?

Highcountry Dreams
08-13-2011, 08:55 PM
I am looking for an area that can produce both good elk (320'+) and Mule Deer (170"+). I am looking at the Bighorn Mountains due to the fact that I can have a general deer tag every year and learn about the elk while deer hunting. SO far Unit 38 elk and Region Y deer looks pretty good. I know that there are good elk there (even with lots of pressure), but am unsure of the deer quality. The upside is that I can draw the deer tag as a second choice and build points too. Any thoughts?

jenbickel
08-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Yes area 38 is awesome elk and has great deer also. Just be ready to walk your butt off!!! ;)

Highcountry Dreams
08-13-2011, 11:14 PM
I just noticed that the archery tag in 38 actually takes more points than the rifle tag. I presume this is because the elk get hard to hunt after the rut when they hit the timber. How is the bow season for deer compared to the gun season? I prefer hunting deer above the timberline, so bow season may be better if there are good alpine bowls.

jenbickel
08-13-2011, 11:25 PM
I think you would have better luck bowhunting. But maybe I'm just partial. We have seen a lot of good bucks up there this year.