PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in the highcountry

RUTTIN
08-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Just made a scouting trip to my elk hunting area, and noticed the bugs were really bad this year. I figured at 10500 ft they wouldn't be that bad. The elk seem to still be in the area, but if I were an elk I would have to find some where else to live, they about drove me nuts! Going to have to remember my face mask next week to keep the bugs at bay when I set on the wallows. If anything the bugs have made the elk wallow more. I guess covering your self in mud is one way to keep them off. Have any of you noticed that the bugs are a lot worse this year?

Bitterroot Bulls
08-14-2011, 04:30 PM
I was just thinking about how there seemed to be less bugs this year in Western MT. They must have all headed your way!

sjsmallfield
08-14-2011, 05:20 PM
There are a ton out in the high country here in CA this year. The worst I've ever seen.

In God We Trust
08-14-2011, 09:04 PM
I was scouting yesterday and they are worse than usual. i guess that comes with all of the moisture. That's funny you mentioned wallowing bulls. 6 out of 8 bull I saw yesterday were covered in mud.

wolftalonID
08-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Therma-Cell Devices. Best thing since sliced bread.

jenbickel
08-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Therma-Cell Devices. Best thing since sliced bread.

I've been thinking of getting a Therma-Cell but was very curious if they actually worked.. I have noticed the bugs here have been horrrrrrible!

wolftalonID
08-14-2011, 09:41 PM
I wondered the same thing for a year. Finally bought one and LOVE the thing. I have used it now for three seasons both camping and hunting and backyard BBQ's. Its about wore out and I need a new one. I will not hesitate to use it. (just a word of warning...adhere to the warning not to inhale the fumes...lol) mmm mmm tasty lol. Mostly odor free, but it leaves a nasty ass taste in your mouth if you get a big ol puff of it in your face.

jenbickel
08-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Lmao. That's funny! Thanks for the advice, I will try not to inhale the fumes.

SDbowhunter
08-14-2011, 10:34 PM
bugs were bad where I scouted in MT but it is a grazing alotment and the bugs were mostly mosquitoes and horse Flys and I think the presence of cattle had something to do with that

elkmtngear
08-15-2011, 12:17 PM
There are a ton out in the high country here in CA this year. The worst I've ever seen.

I'll second that! I find myself wearing my face mask all the time up there.

Best of Luck,
Jeff

brudno
08-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I haven't tried a thermocell at elevation but iguess there not supposed to work over 7000 feet or so according to them. Unless someone has found that to be untrue which would be great.

sjsmallfield
08-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I haven't tried a thermocell at elevation but iguess there not supposed to work over 7000 feet or so according to them. Unless someone has found that to be untrue which would be great.

We have used them up to 8,000 feet and haven't had a problem yet.

wolftalonID
08-15-2011, 09:59 PM
I live at 5100 feet. Camp, fish, hunt, hike, etc at 7000 feet plus, and they always work for me.

Leveller
08-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Bugs are bad in OR too this year, especially ticks. Sometimes it feels more like we're a couple of chimps out there picking things off each other as they try to burrow in UGH! ThermaCell's are the biz - works great and that's coming from someone who suffers bad reactions to mosquito bites. Rarely get bitten with a Thermacell. Other good thing I've found for ticks is Under Armour compression heatgear/coldgear. Has to be the compression fit though to stop them getting through.

Elkoholic307
08-16-2011, 10:13 AM
I was just thinking I need me a ThermaCell. I read that they're not designed to run at altitudes above 4,500 feet.

Leveller
08-16-2011, 07:55 PM
@Elkoholic307 - you could try one of these instead at high altitudes as they are designed for it. Not so easy when you are out and about, but great at camp. http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent/specials/mini-mosquito-repellent-lantern-2006-model

elivingston
08-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Yes, bugs have been pretty bad. I picked up an excellent insect repellent, recently: Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin... I was really surprised at how well it worked and it didn't have an odor at all.