PDA

View Full Version : ATVs ???

MOHunter
08-16-2011, 03:31 PM
I've been trying to call the Game & Fish all day to get details but the message says they're all busy and to call back later.

So, this ought to be easy enough for someone to help me with. What are the rules for using ATVs on public land. We're hunting WY public ground for the first time this fall and wondering if it's worth it to bring them all the way from Missouri. At this point all I know is that you need a special permit. If we kill an antelope a mile off the road on BLM ground can we go pick it up with an ATV? Thanks.

kcaves
08-16-2011, 03:59 PM
you need a wyoming ORV sticker which is 15 bucks and if I remember right, I think all your "supposed" to travel off the road is 50 yds, but i've never seen anyone say anything about it, as long as you just go in to get your antelope and back out and not just running around off road, I don't think its a big deal imo

Elkcrazedfrk
08-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm not even sure its 50 yrds..I thought you had to stay on the roads on public land. I can tell you one thing, its a hefty fine when they catch you..lol

Elkoholic307
08-16-2011, 05:31 PM
They're both right. You'll need an ORV sticker and you have to stay on the roads.

If you shoot it a mile off the road then you better either de-bone it and put it in your pack or make sure nobody is around and drive like a banshee!

MOHunter
08-16-2011, 06:38 PM
They're both right. You'll need an ORV sticker and you have to stay on the roads.

If you shoot it a mile off the road then you better either de-bone it and put it in your pack or make sure nobody is around and drive like a banshee!

The 2nd option sounds like a lot more fun!

Bitterroot Bulls
08-16-2011, 08:53 PM
The 2nd option sounds like a lot more fun!

Or you could play by the rules so hunters can maintain a positive image to the general public.

RUTTIN
08-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Or you could play by the rules so hunters can maintain a positive image to the general public.
+1 To many people ruin it for others by not playing by the rules.

MOHunter
08-17-2011, 08:17 AM

+1 To many people ruin it for others by not playing by the rules.

My comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way. Of course I plan to play by the rules. If I didn't do you think I would go to this trouble to even find out what the rules are?

Bitterroot Bulls
08-17-2011, 10:54 AM
MOhunter,

I understand your comment was tongue in cheek, and I appreciate you taking the time to research the rules. It is just that the comment won't be quoted tongue in cheek when those enemies of hunting use it out of context to paint us with the broad brush. It was unfortunate to me that you asked about the law, but were given the answer to just not get caught, joking or not.

I am sure the closest BLM office close to your hunting area can give you a definitive answer. I know the rules in MT are different depending on location.

Good luck on your hunt!

Elkoholic307
08-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Geeze, this thread just got tense all of a sudden. He was given a serious answer and then a joke was made.

What exactly is the problem again?

MOHunter
08-21-2011, 06:59 AM
I just found this on the WY BLM website. It's taken from a piece on Off-Road Vehicle use. It reads "Temporary excursions
leaving existing vehicle routes are permitted only to accomplish necessary tasks
and only if such travel does not result in resource damage. Examples include picking up
big game kills..."

Bitterroot Bulls
08-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Sounds like a reasonable policy to me.

That is a good deal, and again, good luck hunting!

Colorado Cowboy
08-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Bitterroot Bulls is exactly right. Rules vary by area and at the present time most federal lands are going thru a new evaluation and rules. Call the nearest federal public lands office near where you are hunting for the latest info. Here in SW Colorado we are going thru a real involved process with the first federal plan being withdrawn and a new public comment period and then another set of public access rule being released. I know several similiar situations exist in New Mexico. Things can really change from year to year. IMHO the biggest local rule problem here is that Mt bikes and motorcycles are allowed on a lot of hiking trails, lots of controversy here and also no downed game retrevial off road, which is also a big change. Lots of really ticked off people here on both sides of the issues.

Stig87
08-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the BLM site also says off road travel is limited to 300'.

tikkamike
08-22-2011, 08:43 AM
MOhunter,

I understand your comment was tongue in cheek, and I appreciate you taking the time to research the rules. It is just that the comment won't be quoted tongue in cheek when those enemies of hunting use it out of context to paint us with the broad brush. It was unfortunate to me that you asked about the law, but were given the answer to just not get caught, joking or not.

I am sure the closest BLM office close to your hunting area can give you a definitive answer. I know the rules in MT are different depending on location.

Good luck on your hunt!

You are a joke. Are you seriously going to act like you abide by all the rules all the time? and you cant take a joke? I am pretty sure nobody is logging onto eastmans forums to get "anti-hunting" banter or what ever you are concerned about. Get over yourself the guy made a joke and it was an obvious joke. If you want to live in your basement wearing an aluminum foil hat and fearing that everything you say, do and think is being recorded thats fine. Don't push that crap on us though, we're here to share and learn from eachother.

ceby7
08-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Calm down tikkamike, you might blow a gasket! I would say that response was un-called for.

Are you seriously going to act like you abide by all the rules all the time? I sure as hell bet he tries, as everyone should if your calling yourself an ethical hunter.

tikkamike
08-22-2011, 03:14 PM
i don't call myself and ethical hunter... I call myself a good hunter, I shoot animals long range, I shoot coyotes from the truck and I shoot more than a half hour before and after the sun rise/set. Does that make me unethical? NO everyone here has done it. as soon as you can see you shoot if there's something there. Nobody watches the time tables and lets a buck walk because shooting light doesn't start for another 3 minutes. What is it with everyone getting high on the term "Ethical Hunter"? I don't get it... Ethics are not a standardized set of rules its up to individual interpretation. I think I can shoot a deer a 200 yards off the nearest road and drive my pick up to go get him and not destroy any ground, not harm any animals and not compromise fair chase...(which i think is a stupid term) but if I do it I am an unethical person? Because the BLM (one of the most useless of all federal agencies and a huge waste of tax money) says I can't even though its OUR land?? Get a grip! Quit drinking the Kool-Aid.

ceby7
08-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Basically you just described yourself as a poacher, way to go!

tikkamike
08-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Wow got me good Mr. Weekend Warrior.

SouthernWyo
08-27-2011, 09:56 AM
TikkaMike, you are everything that is wrong with hunters today. Congrats, you're the reason that resource management agencies have to establish rule after rule, for the lowest common denominator. The actions that you've described certainly don't make you a "good" hunter, they just make you a prick.

ssliger
08-27-2011, 01:52 PM
TikkaMike, Is your only purpose making posts on this site is to tick people off. Well your doing a fine job. You realize the only reason we have these rules is because of people just like you. People who think since it is public land they should be able to do with it what they want. Public land is for all to enjoy and take care of. Not to tear up and treat like crap.Could you just do us all a favor and stop posting on this site unless you have some encouragement or some tips. I'm sure you are not a jerk in real life, but you are coming across as one on this site.

wolftalonID
08-27-2011, 09:58 PM
TM speak for yourself when you say everyone has done it....unless your a multi-personality disorder type person...then speak away.

I HAVE let a deer walk when it was too dark to shoot and not being willing to compromise. And will continue to do so.
I DO get out of my vehicle to make a shot. (I bow hunt though so haha...thats a given. ;) )
I DO NOT shoot off a road, or over a lake.
I DO NOT use electronics on my optics or bow.
I DO TAG every animal I shoot, (except coyotes, as its not required here)
You see..just because you choose to make choices that make you less than ethical in your hunting, ie poaching, dont assume everyone does it.
You know the saying about assuming? If you havent heard this one, you will get a kick out of it...
You make an ASS out of U and ME.... lol I love that saying! So lets not lump us all into a ball of poachers? Sound like a plan?

Now when the day comes we cannot buy food, and zombies run amuck...there will not be laws to say how to and where to hunt....until that days comes...we should do our part to not be as many describe us as......."ELK BLASTERS" Try reading some of the pro-wolf sites...they describe us all like you just did...kind of pissed me off to see you actually say it here.

But to each their own..guess I can get off my soap box now...anyone want it next?

Colorado Cowboy
08-28-2011, 09:51 AM
I am sure we have all seen people like TM. They are the ones who are always pushing the envelope, living and acting on the ragged edge of what is acceptable to other people. Driving they are the ones always the maximum speed limit or faster(regardless of road conditions), cutting in line when others are waiting and always feeling that rules are for others...not them.The sad thing is that this person is a hunter, someone who participates in something I love and have done for 60 years. The example he sets is one that gives anyone who dislikes what we do, the ammuniton to lump us all together and tell all the non hunters ....Here is what they all are, what you see is what you get. I just hope that someday when TM gets a little older (and wiser) he will see how is actions are unacceptable to our fraternity of hunting folks. I am finished with my "rant" and getting ready for my Elk hunt in 2 weeks.