PDA

View Full Version : Calling?

BigT
08-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Needing a little help on trying to calling in elk. Have been lucky enough to take a few elk in the last couple of years, but they were taken in early season and were ambush type kills. This year we are headed up to Idaho during the start of the rut and I am wanting to try my luck at calling in a bull.

About all i know is trying cow locate call then when he answers start in with a cow estrus call mixed in with a spike elk bugle. Dont know if this is right or totally messed up....

So i am asking any advise/styles of calling. If you say grab my left nut and hop on one leg while cow calling heck i will try it. ( lol will be in the back country so no one else will see)

thanks

dhershberger
08-22-2011, 11:16 PM
I've always learned that when calling to a bull you want to sound a little less aggressive and mean than the bull that called. When you sound to big and intimidating, the bulls will shy away and not come in. Be sure to mix in estrous cow sounds but always sound a little less than the bull you are calling to and you will call in many bulls!

jenbickel
08-22-2011, 11:20 PM
So i am asking any advise/styles of calling. If you say grab my left nut and hop on one leg while cow calling heck i will try it. ( lol will be in the back country so no one else will see)

thanks

that is exactly it!! just remember to video it...

Jon Boy
08-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Thats what I typically do. Make it sound like a small bull is with a group of cows in estrus and that will typically piss off the bigger bulls and get them to come in lol or I just use an estrus call.

Reflex
08-23-2011, 06:21 AM
Check out www.elknut.com

He has great instructional videos on calling. Some of the best out there in my opinion!

walleyed
08-24-2011, 05:57 AM
I agree with reflex and will be putting them to the test very soon. I and my son leave for co this evening for a archery elk hunt.

ElkNut1
08-24-2011, 06:55 AM
As elk become more vocal by the 8th-10th we then play on "Breeding Behavior Methods" this is especially effective for satellite bulls, (those without cows) as this is exactly what they're looking for as their hormones are working over-time at this time. This method can be used the entire month! (grin) This is why when you locate herds with cows nearing or in estrus, satellites are there & being vocal as they announce their presence wanting consideration from the cows to come & check them out TOO, it can get highly competitive at this time!

For herd bulls & harems we concentrate heavily on posing a threat to the cows by calling them from the herd bull via bull sounds & a selective but not over used cow sound or two! 2ndly we may decide to threaten the bull himself instead, all depends how the situation unfolds as we're there, closeness is crucial here, under 80yds is best! These types of tactics & thinking in heavily hunted country with tons of wolf pressure still has not stopped this type of thinking, it's all in adapting & application! We are over 90% success in the Crew in the last 20 years, my Son & I are 100%, I believe this speaks well for our methods of choice & we will continue to apply the needed tactic per encounter. As you can see we do not use one method for all elk, we adapt & attack!

ElkNut1

RUTTIN
08-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Elk Nuts Playlist

BigT
08-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks all.

Sorry havent been on last week or 2, getting all my stuff packed and ready to go. Got the last of the stuff packed up and will be headed out on our 20 + hr truck trip friaday morning. Good luck all and maybe i will have pictures to put up on the sight. (will have to learn how to post "em)