PDA

View Full Version : Amount of clothes for a 5 day pack hunt

RobinHood
08-24-2011, 06:12 PM
What does everyone pack for a 5 day backcountry hunt when it comes to clothes?

I know raingear, base layer, jacket...

I am talking about pants, shirts, socks and underwear?

I am planning on the following:
(1) set of hiking, walking, everyday clothes (Columbia Omni dry pants and under armour hunting shirt)
*to be worn when moving from spot to spot and daily activities.

(1) set of hunting/ stalking clothes that I have in a sealed bag of Sagebrush.
*only worn when putting the stalk on

(5) pairs of socks and underwear.

What is everyone else doing?

I always leave a fresh brand new change of clothes in the truck at the trailhead along with my flip flops for the rde home. :) Makes it nice for the ride!

Colorado Cowboy
08-24-2011, 08:53 PM
How are you getting to the hunting area? Self packing with everything on your back, spot pack or ??? Makes a lot of difference.

mthuntress
08-25-2011, 08:47 AM
All I take is what I'm wearing. More rooms of food and meat if you get game first dat out.

T43
08-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Almost exactly. I throw in an extra big pair of thick wool socks an extra light weight camo T-shirt and a set of heavy weight base layers.

hoytnut
08-25-2011, 04:37 PM
That's close to what I take, except I wear my hunting clothes when not hiking in or changing locations. I usually take two extra pairs of socks and another pair of underwear. No matter what you do to control odor on a 5-10 day hunt you will stink. Therefore, put your face into the wind and hunt!

RUTTIN
08-26-2011, 08:27 AM
I wear what I will hunt in, like hoytnut said, you are going to stink so hunt the wind. I will pack a rain coat, jacket, two pairs of socks, and a change of underwear.

JNDEER
08-26-2011, 03:29 PM
just did 6 days here in CA and I wore this:

redhead zip off pants, camo cotton short sleeve t for the hike up.

brought:
4 pairs of socks/ liner
1 camo cotton short sleeve shirt
1 light sweater
1 pair boxer
1 pair of redhead zip off pants
3 enduraskin long sleeve shirt

Bitterroot Bulls
08-26-2011, 09:41 PM
I bring one set of clothes. I bring one extra pair of socks for every three days.

My wife makes me take off my clothes outside when I get home.

fatrooster
08-27-2011, 07:47 PM
I take what I'm wearing on my back plus one extra pair of socks and a rain jacket plus Under armor long johns for colder days. Sometimes I will take a swimsuit if there is a lake in my hunting area. Sometimes I put on my swimsuit and wash my clothes in the lake or creek and let them dry in the sun on a rock. All clothing is made out of polyester so it will dry quickly. fatrooster.

floorya
11-24-2011, 12:41 PM
it depends on the time of year and the local.you souldn't pack the same for 2-3 nights in the southwest. as you would for 5-7 nights in the rockies.
but as a general rule of thumb i hunt in the same clothes i hike in with.like mentioned above you can't stay sent free on a hike in hunt.so hunt the wind.and only make high % stocks.i only carry 1 extra pair of hunting/hiking socks. and 1 pair of extra underware. and 1 pair of heavy wool socks i sleep in.the only other clothes i carry are.rain gear,and 1 extra heavy mid layer top and bottom,wool watchmans hat and gloves.
if i'm hunting in an area with alot of water then i will wash out dirty socks/underware midday. during my water topoff/ lunch break.
just make sure you do it down stream.:)

ID_MW
11-25-2011, 04:28 PM
First thing first. If you haven't yet, try a Merino wool baselayer. The only cotton you should pack is toilet paper. If you have been moving dynamically in alpine terrain, you will understand that even technical synthetics (polyester/lycra/spandex etc.) will hold the funk after a few short days. A good wool base-layer will keep you dry and significantly less stinky over the course of a five day pack hunt. I will agree with the other members here that hiking in your hunting gear is a fine way to keep weight down, but only when planning on covering many miles just to reach your planned hunting area. One pair of pants (I have enjoyed the mountain pant from sitka) and an extra top layer/vest (sitka merino zip core/jetstream vest) should suffice during most hunting applications, of course rain and or insulated gear may be a necessity, depending on your hunting area and/or season. Socks should never be overlooked, I personally like 3-4 pair for a 5 day hunt (wool of course, no synthetics), and if you have ever dealt with wet weather or boots in the backcountry, you will instantly agree. Your feet are literally your lifeline, and unless your idea of backcountry is a half mile from the truck, you should try to keep your lifeline in working condition. Washing or rinsing clothes is a nice idea, if you have that luxury, but on cold late-season hunts, that is simply not an option. There are quite a few companies producing quality outerwear with the backpack hunter in mind. I haven't tried them all, so can't be completely objective; that said, I do like the outerwear produced by sitka, KUIU, and Firstlite, but by no means should that diminish the application of any other fine outerwear producer's gear. I also agree with the other members on packing an extra set of underwear. That area is the worst to deal with over the course of a pack hunt. Like most aspects of hunting gear, you will get what you pay for, and a few extra bucks here or there may really give you a more comfortable and in turn, memorable backcountry experience. Keep an eye out for sales on last seasons gear this off-season; retail is for suckers.

plentycoupe
12-19-2011, 02:15 AM
two pairs of underarmor boxer briefs. Did a ten day sheep hunt in AK with only two. These things are great. May try the wool this year
two pairs of thorlo heavy sock w/smart wool liners: 10 day sheep hunt, although I was able to wash then in a stream. Would take 3 for a winter hunt.
Worn hunting pants and shirt.
light merino bottoms
light merino top
heavy merino vest
some type of jacket, depending on what time of year and how cold I expect it to get.
fleece hat
gloves
Kuiu rain jacket

all else can stay behind. If this is only a five day hunt, you have to be within walking distance of your vehicle. If you get wet or cold you can either tuff it out, or walk out to truck.
Fast and as light as possible is what I would want for a short hunt like this. We can all suffer through quite a bit searching for the buck or our dreams!!