PDA

View Full Version : Camo - Short sleeves?

307Wapiti
08-26-2011, 09:45 PM
I've got a 10 day backpack elk hunt coming up. I've got a couple mesh long sleeve camo shirts to hunt in as well as a couple UA heat gear short sleeve shirts. I have no qualms about puttin a stalk on with the long sleeves but I worry about stalking in the short sleeves. Anybody hunt in short sleeves in the early season?

jenbickel
08-26-2011, 10:44 PM
I hunt in short sleeves during the early season! I've never had any problems...

Elkcrazedfrk
08-26-2011, 11:29 PM
I've often though about it but have always stayed in long sleeve.. I kind get maybe even a little to stealthy when sneak'n in on a critter. Heck I dont know if it matters..good question.

sjsmallfield
08-27-2011, 01:44 PM
I hunt in short sleeves during the early season! I've never had any problems...

Same for me.

wolftalonID
08-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Shoot, last year I even took my dear wearing blue jeans!!! Camo isnt all it is cracked up to be. Humans hunted for centuries without it and survived just fine.
If it makes you more confident to wear long sleeves then do so. But honestly, your movement is more important (lack of it actually) than what you are wearing.

307Wapiti
08-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Hmmmm . . . Well I guess I'll see how it goes. I would rather do the long sleeves but it ought to be plenty warm to warrant the short sleeves. I guess if I blow a stalk based on a lack of sleeves I'll be telling folks from the mountaintops.

T43
08-29-2011, 09:39 AM
If you're that concerned about it use a little face paint on your arms to break them up. I tried it yesterday while antelope hunting, not sure it worked as I didn't get close enough for a shot but that may have had more to do with the fact there was no cover. I've never had much of a chance to hunt with short sleeves as it's usually to cold but a unique situation presented it's self yesterday and the best option was short sleeves and paint. The fact my wife and daughter got to poke fun at me when I got back to camp was an added bonus.

thinkin6X6
08-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Never been a fan of short sleeves in the woods. Forearms get chewed up from the prickly stuff and I prefer to keep the sun off my arms at higher elevations to reduce sunburn.

I also wear light weight breathable clothing that wicks moisture real well and allows the wind to move through and it keeps by core well regulated.

RUTTIN
08-29-2011, 09:59 PM
I watched a hunter one day from a ridge away that was wearing a shot sleeve shirt, and it was amazing how his forearms seemed to stick out and almost glow compared to the background. Ever since then I have always wore long sleeves and gloves.

Elkcrazedfrk
08-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Thts good to know ruttin..I'll stick to long sleeve..lol

jenbickel
08-30-2011, 01:53 PM
The way I see it, if you can wear fluorescent orange while rifle hunting, you should be able to wear short sleeves..but I also antelope hunted in my bra because it was too hot.. lol I'm not a fan of being super hot.

CrimsonArrow
08-30-2011, 08:35 PM
My advice is if you need to hunt in short sleeves, go easy on the body glitter

RUTTIN
08-31-2011, 08:26 AM
The way I see it, if you can wear fluorescent orange while rifle hunting, you should be able to wear short sleeves..but I also antelope hunted in my bra because it was too hot.. lol I'm not a fan of being super hot. I hope it was camouflage.

HuntinFool
09-10-2011, 10:51 AM
I think camo may help, but it not nearly as important as being quite and keeping the wind in your face. Last week got within fifty yards of a 25" 4 and an 18" 3 point three different times, but I just couldn't get a clear shot. I was in a white tee shirt and blue gym shorts.

walleyed
09-11-2011, 09:41 AM
No problems here with short sleaves.

JNDEER
09-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I am sure you can kill in shorts / blue jeans / and short sleeves, but I feel that wearing camo (pants and long sleeve) MAY give you just those few extra seconds to make a shot. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. But I like to believe that when I jump a deer and he runs then turns back it may take him just a tad bit longer to realize what I am if I am wearing all camo compared to non camo or just a camo short sleeve t-shirt.

This year in our great A zone (temps in the 100's) I wore a long sleeve enduraskin t-shirt. I don't think I would have been any cooler wearing just a short sleeve-t and I truely believe it made the difference with the buck I killed as he walked right to us and even stopped to look our direction for a few seconds. If I was wearing a short-sleeve t-shirt there is a good chance he would have picked me off standing out infront of a bush.

MT backcountry hunter
09-13-2011, 09:08 PM
I tend to hunt in shorts and S/S shirts in the early season. Call me crazy but it beats wearing pants! Off topic but I have also started wearing light weight Inov-8 trail running shoes instead of hiking boots. Feet stay much cooler not begin in leather boots, watch out for cactus though!