PDA

View Full Version : peep sights

rowicki
08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
ok guys i am new to bow shooting and my dad gave me his bow. been shooting everyday trying to get ready. My question is what size peeps are you guys using? Mine seems rather large and I am thinking that if i get a smaller one it may help me dial it in. let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Reflex
08-28-2011, 05:54 PM
What kind of hunting do you primarily do? If you are hunting in low light conditions much, those large diameter peeps can be invaluable!

rowicki
08-28-2011, 06:33 PM
i am going to be deer hunting for now and possibly elk in the future and everything else as I get more comfortable. I live in Wyoming and I guess I am going to be hunting at all times of the day. It just seems that mine is huge and I know when I shoot ghost rings on a rifle that it is more accurate using a smaller peep. I am a gun guy and am trying to use some of the principles I know in that aspect as a guide to be better and more accurate with a bow. I have been shooting for about a month and am out to 25 yards consistently. dead on at 15.

jenbickel
08-28-2011, 06:41 PM
where at in Wyoming do you live?

rowicki
08-28-2011, 06:57 PM
rawlins...the armpit of the state...lol

rowicki
08-28-2011, 06:58 PM
i am just trying to work on my long range accuracy and am trying to think of ways to get better. it seems ive hit a wall at 25 yds.

jenbickel
08-28-2011, 07:05 PM
lol Rawlins isnt too bad.... I just spent a week there antelope hunting..
My peep is pretty big, I have one of the tube peep thingys.

Bootdog
08-28-2011, 07:34 PM
I don't think that the size of your peep matters as much as the size of your sight pins when it comes to accuracy. I had .019 pins and had a problem with keeping accurate at farther distances. I switched to .010 sized pins witch cover up less of my target at farther range making me more accurate. Kind of like having a thick reticle on your scope, its harder to be very accurate when the whole target is covered up.

Bootdog
08-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Just my opinion I like small peeps because it is easier for me to line up my sights and peep. I agree with Reflex in that at low light you can see more with large peeps

BigSurArcher
08-28-2011, 08:45 PM
I don't know what size my peep is, but I like to have it just big enough that I can only see the white ring around the outside of my pin guard. I also think that bright, small diameter pins are a more important factor that peep size itself.

Elkcrazedfrk
08-28-2011, 09:12 PM
3/16 to 1/4 diametere is good for hunting..Alot of the quality sights have a ring around the pin housing..if you line the ring diameter with the peep diameter and center your pin from there you will be a much more accurate shooter..I have a G5 meta peep that is 3/16 diameter and it works very well for me even in low light..Also agree with pin size..my 25 and 40 yrd pins are 0.19..50 thru 70 are 0.10

rowicki
08-29-2011, 07:32 PM
wow...thanks for the info guys. wish i would have asked earlier...before i bought my sight with .029 pin...damn it!

RUTTIN
08-29-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't know what size my peep is, but I like to have it just big enough that I can only see the white ring around the outside of my pin guard. I also think that bright, small diameter pins are a more important factor that peep size itself. Exactly what I do. My peep sight was a little to big, and I was having a hard time being consistent, I got a smaller peep, and it tightened my groups up a lot. Just have to be careful not to go to small or in low light conditions you will not be able to see very good.

squirrelduster
09-07-2011, 10:01 PM
I had a small peep for a while. Not my best idea. Had a hard time shooting in the evening at a hog so I went to a bigger one. The one I have on now is 3/16. The big change was smaller pins, .010 axcel sight. One other change I made last year was a new release. The old release had a wrist strap and a solid piece to the head. I switched to the same thing only with a strap from the wrist part to the head. I think somehow I was torqueing it and causing fliers.