PDA

View Full Version : Question about GPS's

brokenarrow
08-31-2011, 07:09 PM
I received a new gps for my birthday and want to add mapping option on it but don't know which one. I am looking at the hunting gps maps website that I found out about in an issue of the Eastman's hunting journal. Anyone have any experience with this type of technology. I'm an "old dog" and it's tough to learn the new tricks!

Leveller
08-31-2011, 08:39 PM
Get one that is for the state or one that covers the nearby states you are in, rather than the entire USA one. The latter is not detailed enough, Get the topographical version as it will give you a much better understanding of the terrain you are in. If you want it simply for the off-road ability, you can get the previous year's version and save a few bucks if budget is a concern. The terrain really doesn't change much year on year, unlike major road systems.

brokenarrow
08-31-2011, 09:35 PM
My son and I are headed to Montana this year and that is the reason for the upgrade, hope to have a map program that can tell us private from public land.

brooks
08-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Check this site out...huntinggpsmaps.com you can call them if you want to.

BigSurArcher
08-31-2011, 11:22 PM
I have a Garmin and use the Garmin Topo USA software. Its excellent! Has very detailed topo maps and shows all the little lakes, creeks, trails with names, peaks, etc. for every state. Also shows Nat'l Forest boundaries in a light green color. I think it ran me about $110 which was well worth it.

rpeebles
09-01-2011, 12:38 AM
I use the same Garmin software that Bigsurarcher mentioned and have been really pleased. However, it can be a bit pricey when you start adding states. Most maps seem to be sold as a single states. Some may come in a 2-3 state set. As Leveller said, don't get the version that covers the entire US, it's just not detailed enough.

brokenarrow
09-01-2011, 08:24 AM
checked out the huntinggpsmaps site and it looks like they a pretty good set up. What would be better, the card or the downloadable version?

Gman
09-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Maybe it's me, but I have the Garmin state on my Oregon and while it looks real nice I've never found the map on the gps to be all that useful or great. I use a map of my area I've printed at home with Terrain Navigator and use the GPS to plot my position, head towards waypoints, or get a bearing. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

307Wapiti
09-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I purchased the Wyoming version of the private/public boundary topo maps a couple years ago and am a big fan. I opted for the downloadable version over the card so that I can update my maps before I head to the field and be sure I'm in the right if I were ever to get into a dispute. They were a little confusing to get installed initially and take a good while to install eachbtime I update, but I couldn't be more pleased.

Leveller
09-01-2011, 06:47 PM
My son and I are headed to Montana this year and that is the reason for the upgrade, hope to have a map program that can tell us private from public land.

I have the Garmin Rino Hcx530 and use the Garmin topo maps others mentioned. They do show the difference between public and private land by marking one in yellow and the other in green.

brokenarrow
09-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Well I the gps came today and I powered it up and promptly hit the wrong spot on the keypad and everything is in German and I can't figure out how to change it to English. Too bad for they didn't send instructions for dummies with the unit.

brooks
09-02-2011, 11:28 PM
lol... hit setup... then hit.... system.... then hit what ever.... language... you want. Thats how you do the Oregon 450T anyway.

brokenarrow
09-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks, how do you say set up in German! Guess I should have had one of the kids turn it on for me!

brooks
09-03-2011, 07:21 PM
You're on your own on that one bro....good luck.

brokenarrow
09-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Well the daughter came down and the many years of college came in handy, she finally gopt to use the German language that she took one semester, probably for the only time since she graduated. At least it is now in English! Now to work up enough nerve to use it!

revcwood
09-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Sorry if this is a hijack...i was checking out the huntinggps.com site as mentioned here - how often do they have updates and are they free?

Looks like some pretty good stuff - just wasn't sure about the updates.

Big Sky
09-13-2011, 08:14 PM
They are updated yearly and are $20 for the update. I have been using for the last couple of days and it is the greatest thing sence sliced bread.

revcwood
09-14-2011, 01:15 PM
They are updated yearly and are $20 for the update. I have been using for the last couple of days and it is the greatest thing sence sliced bread.

Thanks! May go on the Christmas list...

ntspdy
10-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Have you checked out gpsfiledepot.com yet? There are a lot of different maps available for all kinds of activities and the best part is they are free. I've got a Rhino 530 and it works great with these maps. Getting the maps loaded on your GPS isn't the most intuitive process but if you follow the instructions in the Garmin MapSource software it's doable. If anyone needs help loading maps I'll try to make a walkthrough. Just please give it your best effort first.

crumy
02-21-2012, 08:31 PM
I purchased a card from Sportsman warehouse. Has BLM as well as owner information.