PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 SPS SS

Dooger
09-05-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm looking at getting the above mentioned rifle and work it up with a new stock and such. Problem is, there's been a lot of people saying to go with another brand nowadays. Is there any reason not to buy a new 700 SS to use as a rifle build?

Bitterroot Bulls
09-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Most factory rifles are pretty darn good right now, but you can get a lemon from any make. A friend has a 700 SPS .270 and it shoots tight. The nice thing about a Remington 700 of any flavor is the vast array of after-market accessories available.

Big Sky
09-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I have that exact rifle that i bought for my wife and it is an exelent shooting rifle for the price. My plan was to build it up but it is shooting so good that I dont want to do any thing to it.

Elkoholic307
09-06-2011, 01:51 PM
I've never been attracted to the SPS, but I would buy one to cannibalize it for the action.

Booner
09-06-2011, 08:43 PM
I've always got along with the 700's, I have 4 of them, as far as the stock goes, I would get a H-S precision, my 700 sendero came with one and I really like it. I have a 223 adl still have the factory stock and it drives tacks. My cdl has the wood stock and I have no problem with accuracy although I did float the barrel after I got it. They're all good.

Dooger
09-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Nice...thanks guys.

I have a 1997-1998 BDL in .300 Win Mag that is a great gun. I've just "heard" too many stories that their quality control has decreased a lot over the years. I think I may get the SPS SS in .270 Win!!!

Drhorsepower
09-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Anything on a 700 action will be a fine shooter if you put in enough time and money.

magnum12
09-08-2011, 10:01 AM
I have a 700 BDL in a 7mm mag that I purchased back in 2000 or 01 and out of the box it shot well if you could pull the built in lawyer smoothly. Wait I mean trigger. :o After fighting it I spent the 40.00 to have the 11lb trigger brought down to 3 lbs, floated the barrel and bedded the action and now the thing shoots great!

badlands7mag
09-08-2011, 01:29 PM
To answer your question - People are telling you this because there are better out of the box products out there now. Look at what savage has done recently with the accutrigger and accustock. Remington has historically been the "shooter" that the last couple of generations used and shot. For the last 10 or so years remington hasn't brought anything new to the table, while everyone else caught up and past them.

Dont get me wrong, you can get a 700 to shoot. But what do you have to do to it to get it there. I have always been a fan of 700's with a closet full of them, everything from 222 to 300 ultra's including the popular 270's, 7mags, 300 win mags etc. Recently in 700's purchased the last 3 years we have had a terrible time getting them to shoot, they are extremely senstive to temp, powders, bullets etc. We still got them to shoot but it was a ton of work.

The last rifles i have purchased were Savage weather warriors. They have been a dream to load for and shoot. They have resisted heat and been easier to load for more then any recent 700 i have. Just what i have found.

Savage Weather Warrior in 300wsm, 65 gr RL22, 180 accubond is a sweet load by the way.

smitty300rum
11-13-2011, 08:37 AM
I only bought Remingtons and never had a problem for the money the SPS SS is worth the money I have a XCR 7mm Rem mag and 2 XCR II's 300 RUM and 338 Win mag but I'm thinking of getting a 204 ruger or 22-250 in the SPS SS

Whisky
03-07-2012, 10:59 PM
I have two SPS SS rifles, sporter 22-250 and 308 Varmint. I must have gotten lucky, because both of them are shooters. The 22-250 is a coyote rifle. With 50gr Nosler BTs and H380 it is consistently sub MOA. Never did a thing to that rifle. My brother and a buddy have the same rifles. However, my buddy wasn't so lucky. He had an MOA or slightly above rifle, with the same load I am using. He had to mess with the stock a bit to get it to shoot, but now it's a shooter. Didn't take much work.

The 308 I have came from him. He's a far better shooter than I. When he got it he dropped it into an unbedded MCM stock and got to load testing. He was shooting amazing groups with it. I'm not even going to tell you what they were, because nobody would believe me. He does his load testing at 300yds. Anyways, he sold it to me for some reason (wishes he had that one back) and bought another factory 308. His new rifle wasn't a shooter and he ended up selling it.

Point I'm trying to make is Remington is very hit and miss. I love Remingtons, and will for the most part only buy them. I've gotten to the point that I don't mind sticking some time into them if they happen to be a "bad one" right out of the box. And they have a plethora of aftermarket parts which I find really attractive.

If your intentions are to buy a rifle and improve on it; stock, trigger, etc. I can't think of a better starter than the SPS SS.

buckbull
03-08-2012, 08:57 AM
As a previous poster mentioned, nothing wrong with Remington 700's; its just there are options out there that might be better. Compare a weatherby vanguard s2 with the sps and see if you can tell a difference in workmanship. Tikka and Weatherby both offer accuracy guarantees with factory ammo and while you certainly can work on a rifle to "get it to shoot" why should you have too? I wouldn't buy a car and then immediately take it to a mechanic to "get it to run". My biggest gripe with big green is their customer service.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-08-2012, 09:31 AM
I love Remingtons, but I also love working on guns. Some shoot right away, but some need a little tender loving care.

I think you have a much better shot at getting a Tikka, Savage, or Vanguard shooting tight straight out of the box, though.

ORBucksBullsBears5
03-09-2012, 02:43 PM
I think quality control has decreased over the years. Read " best procedure for mounting a base" to see what I've been dealing with. I bought that exact gun in a 300rum in January. Maybe I did get a lemon but after what is happening when I tried to get it fixed I'm done with factory Remingtons.