PDA

View Full Version : Bugling in the Bighorns?

TuffBuc
09-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Anybody been hearing any bugling yet? I head out tomorrow and am just curious if the party is starting yet?

wyo9
09-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Ya they are...but good luck there are some piss poor hunters up there that dont know what the hell they are doing. There are people all around up there chasing the elk all over....good luck
What area?

jenbickel
09-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Yes, it has been a bugling frenzy up there! I love it.. Lots of dumb people hunting though, I agree. There's been some people in my area that are shooting their guns just for fun.. Not so much fun for me..

wyo9
09-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Yes, it has been a bugling frenzy up there! I love it.. Lots of dumb people hunting though, I agree. There's been some people in my area that are shooting their guns just for fun.. Not so much fun for me..

Jen... Where is your bull....The whole time i was in your area i saw good bulls but nothing i would drop the hammer on. To many damn people. And I was looking at your lope post...did you go to bear lodge on saturday for lunch? lol

TuffBuc
09-09-2011, 01:49 PM
I hunted last night and this morning but didn't hear a bugle. I saw elk but they weren't talking.

WYrider
09-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Why all this negative talk about fellow hunters? I know I am not the best hunter out there but I sure have a great time getting away, being with friends and getting close. I sure wouldnt be critisizing someone for trying to hunt. This will be my wifes first elk hunt this year. I'm not going to get my hopes up that she will do everything by the book.

jenbickel
09-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Jen... Where is your bull....The whole time i was in your area i saw good bulls but nothing i would drop the hammer on. To many damn people. And I was looking at your lope post...did you go to bear lodge on saturday for lunch? lol

Yes! I was at Bear Lodge on Saturday for lunch! That's too funny!! Where were you sitting at? Hopefully I will be posting a picture of my bull soon.. I came across one that was like 390+.. I've seen lots of good bulls. Where were you hunting at?

wyo9
09-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Haha that is too funny! I was sitting closer to the door. I had the black Graylightproductions had on. We were hunting south of the highway above the tounge saw elk just nothing huge. We dont have elk tags so we were just after deer. But alot of smalll bulls this year.

jenbickel
09-12-2011, 12:15 PM
That's way funny! Small world :)

TuffBuc
09-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Hows the hunting been the last few days? Anybody connect yet?

jenbickel
09-19-2011, 09:35 AM
I dont wanna talk about it... lol
It's been horrible. The ranchers in the area that I hunt have been pushing their cows so it blew the elk all over. Then yesterday I got about 20 yards from a nice 6x6 but he winded me before I got a chance at a shot. I have seen some awesome bulls and am excited to get back up in a couple of days and hunt some more... Hopefully one of these days I will shoot something.

TuffBuc
09-19-2011, 11:57 AM
I am almost into WY now. Filling gas and will be back on the road to the Bighorns. I will have a report in a couple of days. Hopefully pictures too.

jenbickel
09-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Where at are you hunting??

TuffBuc
09-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Type 9 tag in forty one. Last week was really tough hunting, but the legs are rested and ready to hit it again.

jenbickel
09-19-2011, 03:03 PM
That's good!!! Hope you get a big one!! :) that's a good area! I know someone else that just got a real big 6x6 in that area!

Kapaapala
09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Went up on the 2nd and came back 10th, had to get back to work in Hawaii .saw alot of elk but not close enough to get a shot off.elk wasn't buggling much nor cooperating when cow calling in area 45 & 35.too early in season I think?sucks when you leave so far away,can't come back later and try again!!(too expensive to traval)

NDHunter
09-19-2011, 07:24 PM
I dont wanna talk about it... lol
It's been horrible. The ranchers in the area that I hunt have been pushing their cows so it blew the elk all over. Then yesterday I got about 20 yards from a nice 6x6 but he winded me before I got a chance at a shot. I have seen some awesome bulls and am excited to get back up in a couple of days and hunt some more... Hopefully one of these days I will shoot something.

Come on Jen, we are all waiting for that picture of you and a 6x6!

jenbickel
09-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Come on Jen, we are all waiting for that picture of you and a 6x6!

lol! Believe me, I am trying my little heart out! Hahaha.. you will probably see a picture of me and cow instead. lol that's about how my season is going.

NDHunter
09-20-2011, 02:11 PM
lol! Believe me, I am trying my little heart out! Hahaha.. you will probably see a picture of me and cow instead. lol that's about how my season is going.

Is it going to be a picture with a cow elk or one of those pesky rancher's cows that keeps screwing up your hunt?

brookhunter19
09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
I was just in the Bighorns hunting Mule Deer and scouting for an Elk tag that I am hoping to draw next year. I saw lots of Elk. I actually saw 7 different bulls in one draw during two days of hunting. I would have been happy to tag all 7 of the bulls with my bow. I actually watched 4 bulls fight over a herd of cows for an hour and a half. Watching those bulls fight for an hour and half is something that I will not forget for a long time to come. As far as the buling, I can only confirm hearing two real bugles because I watched the bulls bugle, because there was a lot of people running around blowing on Elk calls. There are lots of people, but my personal experience was good enough that I think I will still try to burn my points up in the Bighorns. I think there is still plenty of Elk to go around.

jenbickel
09-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Is it going to be a picture with a cow elk or one of those pesky rancher's cows that keeps screwing up your hunt?

lol might be both!!

Elkcrazedfrk
09-24-2011, 04:21 PM
I ended up taking a 5x5 on the 20th. We had lots of close ecounters with some really good bulls. They seemed to be bugling most days but you had to be close to hear them as they were pretty quiet about it. As far as all the hunters, we really didnt see to many unless you hunted right off the main road. lol..Good luck to all. You better hurry the season is closing fast..