PDA

View Full Version : 4-0 Bucks

twp1224
09-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Well I went on a 3 day solo hunt last weekend. Saw a lot of legal bucks (15) and a couple of them were big 4 points. I put four separate stalks without releasing a single arrow. The weather was nasty, hail and rain most of the time. The wind was my worst enemy. Every time I thought I had figured it out and setup my stalk, I would get within 100 yards to find the wind on my neck and the bucks running up and over the nearest ridge. I tried everything I could, with no luck. One of my stalks on a nice 4 point and 3x4 took me 4 hours and when I finally got into position and they got up from their beds to feed the wind swirled and they were off. All this said it was a great experience and I learned a lot, AGAIN, from all the stalks. Just wished I had been able to seal the deal. Next time right? :)
Just wanted to share my frustration.

hoytnut
09-13-2011, 05:22 PM
It will happen just keep it up. Usually success comes once every ten encounters (or so it seems), so you're due! At least you are learning from each encounter.

wolftalonID
09-13-2011, 06:22 PM
With bow hunting comes the frustration. But with success comes the enlightened experience.
Having fun being part of a hunt is the main focus, with or without success!

Bitterroot Bulls
09-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Sounds like a great hunt to me, twp1224!

The "sealed deal" is coming, I'm sure.

twp1224
09-14-2011, 09:25 AM
thanks guys. I usually put down my bow and pick up the rifle now that archery season is over, but i think I going to stay at it through rifle season with my bow.

Blue Skies Hunting Advent
09-14-2011, 04:06 PM
thanks guys. I usually put down my bow and pick up the rifle now that archery season is over, but i think I going to stay at it through rifle season with my bow.

Good for you, that will make success that much sweeter. Good luck to you!!!

Jon Boy
09-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Sounds like a great! Im really thinking about using my bow through out rifle season as well. I put a stock on a really nice muley last night and got with in 20 yards and couldnt see him so I figured he was gone because the wind was at my back...so I just start walking around figuring my stock has ended and he jumps up 15 yards away from me and starts running lol I think thats the last time im gunna make that mistake.

spotnstalk
09-17-2011, 10:20 PM
I allways think of extending my season by bow hunting during gun season, but I have a real fear of being shot. Good luck.

jenbickel
09-19-2011, 09:50 AM
I understand your frustration! The wind here swirls so bad.. It never fails I will get in close enough to get a shot and the wind will swirl and all I see are elk butts running away. ugh. I havent even began deer hunting yet. Not until tonight anyways. :) I hope you get something soon! Bowhunting can really be so frustrating but it is also the biggest high in the world if you ask me.

Midwest to Outwest
09-23-2011, 09:06 AM
I think an archery mule deer hunt can be considered successful if you learn anything at all from the experience. Also enjoy every minute. I spent a week in Montana, without even drawing my bow back. Passed a few decent bucks early, and couldnt get in on a whopper later in the week, but think I learned plenty to make it all worth while. jon boy, I've made that mistake before, too. I wont ever do it again, I'm sure. That is a humbling experience.

Elkoholic307
09-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Time to get a gun?

destroyer340
10-02-2011, 01:24 AM
I am from Central California as well. Were you hunting D5,6,7 or 8? Good to hear you saw and got to put some stalks on some bucks.