PDA

View Full Version : Montana Black Gold Ascent

RUTTIN
02-26-2011, 09:10 PM
In the market for a new sight, wondering what you think about the MBG Ascent Slider, pros. cons? How you set it up for yardage? How many pins? I know Nate Simmons did a review on this and liked the sight.

Stringmusic
02-26-2011, 10:11 PM
I've been shooting BG for five years. This site can handle a beating. Super solid. Made right here in Montana. You break it, they will fix it or replace it. I shoot the Flash Point 7 pin.

BOHNTR
02-28-2011, 10:57 PM
I've been using the Ascent a few years now.......I shoot it with 5 pins. Only use the slider (bottom pin) for 3D shoots. It's a solid sight with the best warranty out there.

walleyed
03-03-2011, 07:28 AM
I will look into this site, never heard of it. Nice that its made in Montana, USA. I have been shooting Spot Hogg but sounds simmilar.
Thanks

BEETLEGUY
03-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Just p/u a Red Zone. Will let you know how it does

sjsmallfield
03-07-2011, 07:48 PM
I've been shooting BG for five years. This site can handle a beating. Super solid. Made right here in Montana. You break it, they will fix it or replace it. I shoot the Flash Point 7 pin.

I also use the Flash Point 7 on both my bows and I love them. I don't think you could ever go wrong with any MBG sight. They really stand behind their products.

AMF
03-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I use the Flash Point 7 as well and I have broken Fiber Optics have broken twice. MBG replaced the Parts in both cases with no questions asked.

MT backcountry hunter
03-10-2011, 05:43 PM
I just picked up the MBG ascent and am really looking forward to using it. I personally know quite a few people that work for them and these guys are hard core hunters that strive really hard to put the best sites on the market. If you are curious about how to properly get the yardages set up I would call them directly. My friend Ben that works for Black Gold would be a great person to speak with there.

RUTTIN
03-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks Mt. backcountry hunter, I will give ben a call when I get my sight. (still deciding on 3 or 5 pin) I've heard nothing but good about their sights, and warranty. Thanks again

shed
03-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Is it easier to micro adjust the sights on the black gold or the spot high?

Skybuster1329
03-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Can't go Wrong with these Sights !!

rezavoirdog
03-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Montana Black Gold! I have the Flashpoint 5! Micro-adjust is easy enough.

RUTTIN
03-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Just got my ascent yesterday. WOW! got the 3 pin (didn't want a lot of pins in the sight housing cluttering it up) I have my first pin set at 27 yds. (puts me 2 inches high at 20 yds. and 2 inches low at 30 yds) second pin at 40 yds. and third at 50 yds. Sight looks very well built. I am impressed!

BADbuckfever
03-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Where is the review Nate S. did on this? Thanks.

RUTTIN
03-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Where is the review Nate S. did on this? Thanks.

It was in one of the EBJ issues.

walleyed
03-19-2011, 08:05 AM
The ability to put different rings on the front face of the sight is a good idea different colors available.

RUTTIN
03-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Badbuckfever, just found my copy of Nate's review it was in EBJ issue 63, hope this helps.

bowhnt4elk
04-07-2011, 04:51 PM
You can also get the Ascent with 3rd axis now!

Stringmusic
06-07-2011, 04:13 PM
I just ordered my new Ascent sight! Having them do a little custom work. Went with the Surge head and the Vengeance base. Five pin set up.
yellow .019
green .019
red .010
green .010
yellow .010

Pink sight ring.

Can't wait for it to be done! Great customer service!!! It was so easy, and very helpful.

RUTTIN
06-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Stingmusic, I have been shooting this sight for a while now, and with a good sight tape it was very easy to set up and get dialed in. Let us know how you like it.

Stringmusic
06-08-2011, 10:26 PM
So I got the call today that might sight was done! Less than 24 hours and they were calling me. That is sweet. Drove down to pick it. Better than I was expecting. I'll get it put on tomorrow and see how it works. Black Gold is top notch.

Stringmusic
06-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Stingmusic, I have been shooting this sight for a while now, and with a good sight tape it was very easy to set up and get dialed in. Let us know how you like it.

Did you make your own marks for distant marks, or did you have a tape made for your bow set-up?

RUTTIN
06-09-2011, 08:45 AM
I bought the archers advantage software, plugged in my chronograph measurement, printed out my sight tape and bingo! Everything was spot on out to 80 yds. I like the other programs on it also, you can print out targets, plug in your measurements on your bow(just in case something moves) and check back to see what they are supposed to be. You can also see what arrows would be best for the bow you are shooting for optimum spine.

Stringmusic
06-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I bought the archers advantage software, plugged in my chronograph measurement, printed out my sight tape and bingo! Everything was spot on out to 80 yds. I like the other programs on it also, you can print out targets, plug in your measurements on your bow(just in case something moves) and check back to see what they are supposed to be. You can also see what arrows would be best for the bow you are shooting for optimum spine.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Reflex
06-10-2011, 08:49 AM
I've been using the Ascent a few years now.......I shoot it with 5 pins. Only use the slider (bottom pin) for 3D shoots. It's a solid sight with the best warranty out there.

Bohntr, can you explain how this sight works? Are the top 4 pins fixed and then the bottom pin slides? I'm kind of confused.

BOHNTR
06-10-2011, 09:30 AM
The whole site moves (head).......you simply use your bottom pin for all "moveable" distances. Example: You have a five pin Ascent sight so you're probably sighted in (fixed) from 20-60 yards. When you're shooting tournaments or practicing distance target shooing at say 70 yards, you move the sight (down) to where your bottom pin now becomes your 70 yard pin.

It's easy to sight in.....once you're sighted in from 20-60 yards, you mark that location on your sight tape. Then you go to 70 yards and utilize your bottom pin and turn the knob to lower the sight until you're sighted in at 70. Mark that location on your sight tape and continue (if needed for tournaments) until you've reached your desired maximum target range. Just remember to turn your sight back to the 20-60 mark before you shoot at something in hunting range. :)

Stringmusic
06-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Here is my new Black Gold Ascent custom sight I picked up yesterday.

Went with the Surge head, Vengeance base.
Pins
yellow .019
green .019
red .010
green .010
yellow .010

Going to get the sight tape on today and start the process of sighting in and marking distances over 60. Going up to 120 yards for fun. Plus I'll be at the Bowcast at the Bird next month in Utah, and some of the targets are 100 yards.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2d6nfs.jpg

Here is the back side of the sight (the other sight is my sons new Rush sight from BG as well)

http://i53.tinypic.com/2ymzy95.jpg

RUTTIN
06-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Nice looking sight Stingmusic, mine also goes out to 120yds for fun shooting. I'll have to look for you at the bird, I'm going to try to make it for the shoot.

Reflex
06-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Just ordered the Ascent sight. Looking forward to using it once it gets here. Thanks for the tips guys!

Stringmusic
06-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Just ordered the Ascent sight. Looking forward to using it once it gets here. Thanks for the tips guys!

Great choice. Let us know when it arrives.

MT backcountry hunter
06-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Hey Guys,

I wanted to let everyone know that the hunting sight I run is now dealers for black gold, rip cord and tight spot quivers. If anyone is looking for there MBG sight to be customized I am able to do that and give you a price quote. Shoot me a PM if anyone has questions about it.

Stringmusic
06-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Here is a video I found that goes over setting up the Ascent.

http://youtu.be/ZPXtNirlRHk

RUTTIN
06-19-2011, 03:15 PM
That's how I set mine up, and it seemed to work great. Got out to a range Friday, and got to shoot out to 120yds. (would never shoot at a animal that far) and it seemed to be right on, as long as I would do my part and follow through with the shot. I have been really impressed with this sight.

Reflex
06-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Got my Ascent mounted on my bow and am heading out to the range today after work. I wish I had the software to plug in my numbers for the sight tape. I'll just have to use some trial and error.

Stringmusic
06-28-2011, 06:46 AM
Got my Ascent mounted on my bow and am heading out to the range today after work. I wish I had the software to plug in my numbers for the sight tape. I'll just have to use some trial and error.

Sweet! It's been a great sight so far!

Almost have mine done. Waited for new arrows to come before marking tape.

Reflex
07-01-2011, 07:55 AM
I shot in a 3-D shoot last night with my Ascent sight. I was very happy with it, until I forgot to move the sight housing back up into its normal position and I shot about two feet over a target at 30 yards. Whoops! I'm going to have to tape a little reminder on my bow to always make sure that the sight housing is back in the original position.

Stringmusic
07-06-2011, 09:11 PM
After sighting in the new arrows, it looks like I will only get 105 yards out of the Ascent sight. I was hoping for a little more, but I happy with it. Wish I had this sight a few seasons ago. Makes those longer shots so easy.

Off to Utah and Bowcast at the Bird tomorrow!

01-20-2012, 11:19 PM
I just ordered the ascent in 3 pin. Cant wait !!! I was going to set it up 20/30/40 and dial the bottom pin from there on out, but now im thinking about other options after reading some of the opinions here.
I went with green .019/yellow .019/ red .010 and a 4" dove tail.

nvarcher
03-03-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm going to custom order one this weekend. .019 green/.019 red/.019 yellow/.010 green with a 4" dovetail. Can't wait!!!

Stringmusic
03-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Great choice.

brandenbowhunter
03-06-2012, 10:14 PM
I am running another one this year...love it...got 120 out of lastyears set up...shooting a bit slower bow this year...but got the new micro windage and elevation on this one with the new dovetail..love these sights

Rob P
03-07-2012, 12:29 AM
I was able to order a custom ascent when S&S was giving 20% off in January. I ordered it with the 4 inch dovetail, 2 inch guard and 5 pins. Top 3 are .19s and bottom 2 are .10s. So far I'm really liking the quality of it. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot past 80 yards with it. not sure how much distance I'll be able to get out of it. I had a spot Hogg right on and it was quality too, but I was wanting a freestyle type sight with 2nd and 3rd axis adjustment. The price of the Tommy Hogg or Boss Hogg are much higher for the similar features on the BG.

03-14-2012, 01:08 AM
My ascent is shooting great out to 40 yards. I just installed Archers Advantage and made my first sight tape. Cant wait to try it out tomorrow. Some of the stuff on the software is a little vague though. I am not sure if my total arrow weight is entered properly. I wieghed my arrow as a complete set up and entered that data on the shaft details under arrow configuration. But then the program goes on to calculate vanes, tips, inserts, knocks. etc. I wonder if when a weighed measurment is entered if all that other stuff is void? I guess I will know tomorrow when I shoot.

WyoBowhunter
03-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to look into a MBG for my new setup!

03-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Well I have my black gold 3 pin ascent pretty dialed in now using the archers advantage software. I had a big problem at first following the advice from the eastmans article. The article suggests that if you use the ring of the sight as the sight picture, as opposed to centering the pin, that the measurement from the pins of the sight needs to be to the eyeball of the dominant eye. Using this advice did not give me an acurate site tape. When I finally entered the measurment from my peep to the sight at full draw, then the site tape was dead on. So far I have been shooting out to 70 yrds and the sight is perfect. Another thing i had to work out was that since I am using my bottom pin, of the three, as the "floater" I had to enter my refference as 0 at 40 yrds. Initially I had it set at 20 yrds zero so that I could use the sight tape to refference the other two pins that I had originally sighted in manually. I now have the sight set up with 20, 30, 40 yrds for my pins and I just know that "zero" is the 40 yrd setting.
I love this sight.

hoytnut
04-05-2012, 03:06 PM
I just ordered one from S&S - should be here next week!

brandenbowhunter
04-06-2012, 05:08 PM
You will love it.

nvarcher
04-09-2012, 11:35 AM
I just ordered one from S&S - should be here next week!
I thought the exact same thing. 3 weeks later I was finally receiving it with what was supposed to be 3 day shipping. I will not buy from S&S again.

04-09-2012, 09:53 PM
I thought the exact same thing. 3 weeks later I was finally receiving it with what was supposed to be 3 day shipping. I will not buy from S&S again.

Probably not S&S fault. I ordered a black gold acsent form Black Gold and it took 4 weeks. Factory fault.
I have had great turnaround service from S&S though, dont give up on him yet.

RobinHood
04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Probably not S&S fault. I ordered a black gold acsent form Black Gold and it took 4 weeks. Factory fault.
I have had great turnaround service from S&S though, dont give up on him yet.

Agreed. Steve is a great guy. The B&G sights come from the factory. It probably would have been three weeks from whoever you ordered it through.