PDA

View Full Version : Montana crew check in

Stringmusic
02-26-2011, 10:05 PM
My name is Joe from Bozeman. Looking forward to talking to new Montana members on this forum.

Archery, duck hunting, and family sums up what I'm all about.

HuntinMontucky
02-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Hey Joe! Brandon from Kalispell here! Sweet bull in your pic, im officially jealous! The only twig between me and a beautiful 6 point ruined my perfect shot this year! I'm all about God, family and bow hunting, dont have a kill other than birds with it yet but been close several times just never been able to loose an arrow other than the time mentioned above! It'll come though, I hunt to hard for it not to! Hows the hunting in your area? My bro and sis in law live over there, gonna try and make it over there this summer to check out the mountains!

jenbickel
03-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Our ranch extends into Montana... does that make me eligible for this thread? :) im all about the family and bowhunting, doesnt get much better than that. how much snow do you guys have?

Stringmusic
03-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Average snow in the South West corner, but I know the East side has been dumped on. Changing my turkey hunt this year because of the snow pack. It's going to be interesting to see what the winter kill numbers are.

How's your snow pack?

jenbickel
03-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I'm in the South East corner.. Its been horrible this year. We havent seen this much snow in a LONG time. I'm really hoping it starts melting soon.. I'm just hoping I get to turkey hunt this year. I tried bowhunting turkeys my first year of bowhunting and then got frustrated and never did it again. But this year I have decided to try again now that I have some more experience under my belt..

homegrown
03-09-2011, 08:25 PM
my name is Tom moved to Livingston MT from midwest last summer. Love it here did some hunting this past season, but prety excited for this year since i have resident status now. my goal is to put a elk on the ground this year, hopefully with my bow. Family, hunting, fishing and pretty much anything outdoors is what I do.

Stringmusic
03-09-2011, 10:50 PM
my name is Tom moved to Livingston MT from midwest last summer. Love it here did some hunting this past season, but prety excited for this year since i have resident status now. my goal is to put a elk on the ground this year, hopefully with my bow. Family, hunting, fishing and pretty much anything outdoors is what I do.

Smart move Tom! But someone forgot to tell you it's less windy 25 miles farther West. Just kidding. It is really tough to beat what we have here in Montana. I'm looking forward to the upcoming season as well.

I made the trip down the upper Madison river today, and saw over a 1,000 elk out on the flats. Bulls still packing bone. Good to see that many elk. I did see two wolves pulling a dead elk out of the Gallatin river coming back from West Yellowstone to Bozeman today as well.

homegrown
03-10-2011, 09:06 PM
yea joe, I know the wind in Livingston is terrible I like it over here and like being close to the yellowstone but am actualy considering moving to the bozeman or belgrade area. I work in bozeman anyway and the wind is about to drive me nuts. Thats cool you seen all those elk, i seen a lot south of livingston when we had that first good snow back around thanksgiving time. You said you duck hunt, where do you hunt ducks at?

bullbuster
03-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Anybody have a feel for Antelope winterkill in the Southeast? I was hoping to draw this year, but heard the numbers were down in 700 even before this winter. I appreciate any feedback.

ceby7
03-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I don't know about this winter, but antelope in 700 are suffering from several years of blue tongue and winterkill. Numbers are way down as is quality. The fact they give out 13000 permits doesn't help.

Stringmusic
03-14-2011, 08:39 AM
You said you duck hunt, where do you hunt ducks at?

I go where the birds are. Mostly from Lima up to Great Falls.

Stringmusic
03-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Anybody have a feel for Antelope winterkill in the Southeast? I was hoping to draw this year, but heard the numbers were down in 700 even before this winter. I appreciate any feedback.

Very tough winter over in that area. There is still going to be plenty of goats, but if your looking for anything big then it will be tough. The central part of the state still has plenty of antelope with little snow. Chances of drawing a tag this year are going to be better because of the winter kill is scaring people down to WY. Look into the 500 hunting districts.

MT backcountry hunter
03-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Hey Guys,

Shane from Bozeman. Lookin forward to talkin with you guys and maybe meetin up for a beer.

Cheers

mthuntress
03-15-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm Elizabeth is this a Boy's club only or can I join in.
I'm live in Dillon.
I hunt both Bow and rilfle.Bows my favorite have two bulls with bow to date and a few grouse.

Stringmusic
03-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Shane-Hello. I'm from Bozeman also.

Elizabeth-All I can say is congrats on the bow kills. I know how hard elk hunts can be. With a bow is like no other hunting experience. I spend a tone of time in Dillon and the surrounding areas (i'll keep those a secrets between us....LOL). One of my favorite Montana towns. Keep us informed on any bear activity. It's almost time to hunt!

Joe

mthuntress
03-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Anyone doing any races {running}this summer?I'm looking at doing my first registered race the 16 April at Helena for the "Wouned Warriors Project".I needed a challenge at something during the off season and my end goal is to run the Bighorn next year since it's somewhat close to home.

mtmuley
04-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Hey Joe. My name is Kelly from Helena. I have a passion for hunting in general. Deer, elk, antelope, bear, ducks, geese, coyotes. Archery or rifle. Also love to spend time with family in the outdoors. Can't wait for the snow to melt so i can get back where i love to be.

MT backcountry hunter
04-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Hey Kelly. Shane from Bozeman. Glad you are here. Hope Helena had a easier winter than Bozeman did.

mthuntress
04-02-2011, 12:07 AM
YES,14 days until bear season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtmuley
04-02-2011, 09:36 AM
It seems like the winter never wants to end. Suppose to get another 5 inches this weekend.

Stringmusic
04-02-2011, 09:49 AM
YES,14 days until bear season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Ya!

Need the snow the melt, and the grass to grow. I can't wait!

Stringmusic
04-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Hey Joe. My name is Kelly from Helena. I have a passion for hunting in general. Deer, elk, antelope, bear, ducks, geese, coyotes. Archery or rifle. Also love to spend time with family in the outdoors. Can't wait for the snow to melt so i can get back where i love to be.

Sounds like great passions to have!

Welcome.

MT Muley
04-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Hey guys,
My name is Mitch. I am going going to school here in Bozeman, I try to hunt as much as I can in the fall, and I fly fish the rest of the year. I got my first bow about a month ago, I have been shooting a lot trying to get as accurate as possible. I have always rifle hunted before now, but after calling in a couple bulls last september to about 15 yards with no weapon in hand, I decided it is time to get in the archery game. Anyways, I look forward to sharing stories and reading some from you guys.

Happy Hunting

Stringmusic
04-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Hey Mitch. Good choice to pick up the bow.

Just to let you know, Big Sky Archey in Four Corners today is having a customer open house today. Free burgers, and some fun shoots. Check them out if our around today. I'm thinking about stopping by. Bunch of new bows I want to try out.

Joe

ceby7
04-02-2011, 10:18 AM
One week till I'm chasing spring gobblers!

MT Muley
04-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Hey Mitch. Good choice to pick up the bow.

Just to let you know, Big Sky Archey in Four Corners today is having a customer open house today. Free burgers, and some fun shoots. Check them out if our around today. I'm thinking about stopping by. Bunch of new bows I want to try out.

Joe

Dang, wish I would have seen this earlier. Ended up hiking up to and past the "M" today with my fully loaded hunting pack on. Figured I could use a little conditioning.

Mitch

Futboler
04-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Cole checking in from Great Falls. I had to take a year off inbetween grad school and undergrad to come home to the Big Sky to do some hunting and Rocky Mt exploration. I was fortunate to get over 60 days in the field last year between archery, rifle, and bird hunting. Funs over and I'm headed back to school next Oct. A couple years of building points in WY, CO, and UT.

Jon Boy
04-15-2011, 12:54 AM
Jon here from washington but ill be moving to billings this summer! Going to MSU college of technology for a major in sustainable energy. Cant wait to get out there and do some real Western big game hunting! Im both an archer and a rifle hunter but my main passion is archery hunting for elk.

Bitterroot Bulls
04-25-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm a little late to this party ...

I'm Matt over in the Bitterroot Valley, but born and raised over in Bozeman. This looks like a great forum, and I am excited to get to know the folks here.

6mm Remington
04-26-2011, 05:16 AM
David here from Missoula. Born down at Columbus and grew up in Hamilton. Resident my whole life. I love to get out bowhunting, snowshoeing, rifle hunting, trapping, hiking, reloading, and just about anything outdoors. I shoot a Martin "Damon Howatt" recurve and have not taken a deer or elk yet with it, just one rabbit! I still enjoy getting out.

Been putting in for moose, sheep, and goats for 33 years in a row now and never drawn, but just maybe this year!

Bitterroot Bulls
04-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Been putting in for moose, sheep, and goats for 33 years in a row now and never drawn, but just maybe this year!

I've only been putting in (unsuccessfully) for those three for 20 years, so I guess I have a ways to go! I guess you never know ...

Stringmusic
04-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Still waiting for a tag myself.

homegrown
04-26-2011, 11:20 AM
put in for goat tag for the very first time this year. I know I probably have years of waiting to do but just sending in the aplication got me excited.

Bitterroot Bulls
04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
I haven't drawn a tag, but I've gone on two goat hunts in MT. Simply awesome hunts. Good luck Homegrown.

cjidland
05-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Cole from Richey, MT checkin in. 3 months till 900 antelope archery, ready

Stringmusic
05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Cole from Richey, MT checkin in. 3 months till 900 antelope archery, ready

Welcome!

900 tags are the sweeeet! I can't wait!!!

sethkuhl
05-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Seth from Superior, Bulls, bears, deer, waterfowl, upland, bow fishing, bait fishing, steelheading, and fly fishing! Whatever the Fiance will let me get away with these days. Checking in.

toyhunter
11-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Brett from the bitterroot live for deer elk and especially duck and goose and snowmobiling

mtelknhtr78
12-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Matt checking in. Born and raised in Havre. College at MSU-N and then 10 years in the navy. Back in MT living in Belgrade. I am so frickin happy to be back!

hvfd21walker
12-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Travis from Hamilton, If it moves I hunt it, currently waiting for some new snow so I can chase cats. Born and raised in Montana and wouldn't trade it for anything. I love the Bitteroot. Need to get the cat killed so I can shoot some birds.

brandenbowhunter
12-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Joe,

I am Branden :)

brandenbowhunter
12-30-2011, 10:22 PM
K...I am Branden from Belgrade...family, Friends, and the outdoors...ha...Hope everyone had a great fall! I had a decent year!
Joe..back to you!

elk*hunter
01-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Hey fellas and gals...Bert from Kalispell. Been in Montana going on 12 years, Bitterroot for a while, now the Flathead. Little late to the forum but good to talk to folks that have the same outdoor interests.

purehunter
02-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Newby here! Ty from Belgrade/Bozeman. Born and raised in Salmon, Id. I'm a husband/father/guide and outdoor enthusiast. When I hunt for myself I prefer to do so with a stick and string unless I don't kill in which case I become a rifle hunter pretty quickly!! ha! Already learned tons from this forum and I'm excited about the connections and advice. If there's a better place to gather information on DIY hunting I haven't found it!! Nothing better than being in the backcountry, enjoying the sanctuary God made for me!

Stringmusic
02-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Hi Joe,

I am Branden :)

took you long enough.

brandenbowhunter
02-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Took you long enough to reply! :)

cheesehead
02-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Kelsey from Great Falls. Just got transplanted after 6 years in AK thanks to the Air Force. Originally from Wisconsin, looking forward to getting to know some of you and enjoying everything this great state has to offer.

brandenbowhunter
02-26-2012, 10:39 PM
You will love it man!

Stringmusic
02-27-2012, 01:48 PM
It's tough to beat AK hunting, but Montana is close behind!

Welcome!

cheesehead
02-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys... can't wait for things to get started.

MTarcherynut
03-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Joe & Brandon... We seem to play in the same neck of the woods. But unfortunaly I'm only home 30 Days a year to DIY.. Keep in touch.. Did you put in for the MAR 15 Draw??

Stringmusic
03-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Elk and mule deer tags submitted! Low odds, but building points.

Next up is Moose, Rams, and MT goats.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Stringmusic,

Did you put in for deer in my neck o' the woods?

Big Sky
03-20-2012, 11:46 AM
I think about every one puts in for your neck of the woods for deer.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-20-2012, 11:50 AM
If you guys draw, let me know, I will help if I can.

hvfd21walker
03-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Im with BB if you draw I would love to help.

Stringmusic
03-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Stringmusic,

Did you put in for deer in my neck o' the woods?

I put in for the unit near Holter Lake. I have no points. I drew the bridger tag last year.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Sorry, I don't have any experience with that unit.

Good luck anyway Stringmusic!

brandenbowhunter
04-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Joe,
I have 2 points after drawing Bridgers two 3 years ago...I actually hope I don't draw this year...elk too...I have some great spots that are not draw units. Just have to look for them!

BossBrott
04-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Had a real good duck huntin buddy move to Trout Creek about 8yrs ago. He's like alot of us, we move, and disappear. Needless to say, great guy. Mike Gilmore, are you out there? If so, I sure hope your having the time of your life! You were a crackshot for the few years we knew eachother, almost as good as me! Anyhow, the hunting at Howard Slough still kicks ass, so stop by if your in the old haunt.