PDA

View Full Version : Full Moon

307Wapiti
09-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Just spent 6 days on a backpack hunt with a buddy. Bulls were still running together and showed no interest in a cow call at all . . . when we could find them. Full moon kept them feeding after dark and before light except for a couple occasions. Tried calling at night, but they weren't talking at all. Hunted hard and my buddy blew a stalk on a 280-ish bull. Tough stuff. Headed back next weekend when hopefully the bulls have started to heard up some cows.

wyo_backcountry
09-16-2011, 08:35 PM
I had a few bulls answer my cow calling, had one in at 30 yards but couldn't get a shot. They weren't bugling very much just a real soft squealy bugle one or twice then they shut up.

Bitterroot Bulls
09-16-2011, 09:28 PM
I just spent a couple days in the deep Montana backcountry, and didn't hear a bugle. I saw some elk just feeding quietly right at dusk. They stayed sitting tight all day. The deer were staying even tighter to their beds.

wolftalonID
09-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Never hunt the full moon weeks. They stay nocturnal. Hunt the week right after. Usually it falls perfectly the third week of September. The moon wains off and the weather tends to turn cooler right then as well. Gets them all fired up most of the time.

jenbickel
09-19-2011, 09:55 AM
They were pretty fired up about a week ago where I have been hunting.. this last week with the full moon just really killed it though. They started bugling real good again like 2 days ago here and I have been watching them chase cows all over the place. I think this week is going to be the best week to be up there!! I'm excited to go back.

homegrown
09-19-2011, 07:50 PM
I hope this is the week Ive logged a lot of miles so far and other than great views and sore feet I dont have much to show for it. all Ive been seeing is moose and a few deer.

jenbickel
09-19-2011, 10:00 PM
I hope this is the week Ive logged a lot of miles so far and other than great views and sore feet I dont have much to show for it. all Ive been seeing is moose and a few deer.

lol I know that feeling!! At least I have been losing a bunch of weight.. I guess that's a plus right?!

Skybuster1329
09-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Yep hunting the week of the full moon really can make a guy mad !!!

Big Sky
09-21-2011, 09:49 AM
It was definatly had but i was in elk every day and even called them in on a daily basis. Can wait to go back this weekend and put every thing that i figured out last week and finaly take one of those huge sixes.

homegrown
09-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Well maybe I should go huntin with u then Big Sky, ha ha.

jenbickel
09-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Well maybe I should go huntin with u then Big Sky, ha ha.

That's what I was thinking! Maybe we should all go together..!!

Big Sky
09-21-2011, 06:20 PM
You guys will have to fight with my wife over that spot. After last week i think that i have an elkaholic on my hands.

wileywapiti
09-25-2011, 04:14 PM
yeah....tough hunting! lol hope this works.

both shots were at less than 12 yrds.....bugled in the second bull, located the first then got in on him with a cow call. a little tougher than last, but still had shots at over 20 bulls on this 9 day hunt...started the 11th ended the 19th. OTC DYI Wyoming high country bulls.

sjsmallfield
09-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Congrats. Those are two great bulls.

T43
09-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Exactly, 25 + miles on foot and no elk to show for it. I do have some great pictures of scenery but they don't taste good even with Tobasco.