PDA

View Full Version : Let the hunt BEGIN!!!!

wolftalonID
09-16-2011, 10:42 PM
WOW!!! I have waited all year for this week!!

Time for some elk hunting with a bow!!! This year has been worth the wait and in less than 24hrs I will chasing those forest ghosts!!

Updates will follow!

Bitterroot Bulls
09-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Good luck!

MT backcountry hunter
09-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Good luck man. No luck here.......yet!

jenbickel
09-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Good luck!! Hope you have more luck than what I have been having lately!!

thump&dump
09-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Good luck.. I can't wait for the updates.

wolftalonID
09-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Well I am back for a moment, and being shipped off for a few days. AHHHH Take a week off to hunt and come home to find yourself being shipped off away from family even longer.

Well the hunt was NOT easy to say the least. Took me over 4 days to get a semi close idea of the elk patterns. Even then I was not entirely sure of what was going on. I had two hunters from out of state with me that had never hunted elk before, and had not spent a lot of time still hunting much of anything.
This was turning into a nightmare.
On Wednesday that all changed. We all took different paths to different areas that had all looked good all week but had yet to produce anything more than annoying squirrels, one of which thoroughly enjoyed an Maxima Blue Streak Select.

I had a good sized bull calling me out within the 9am hour. He toyed with me and came all of 40 yards. Had me at full draw, and would not step out of the trees. He just turned and slowly walked away.
I went back for one guy that was not far from me on an opposing hill. He answered the radio but was pretty set on sitting on a wallow for the day.
I gave up waiting on him, and just couldnt leave this bull alone. I went after him.
Again he toyed with me at 2pm. Just after lunch he bugled and came down the hill within 70-80 yards. I saw him, put my call in my pocket, grabed my rangefinder, looked up...poooofffff. GONE. Ghosted me and never showed himself again.

I went back to waiting for some action to sound off someplace. They were not talking with my calling, unless I waited for them first.
5:30 came about, I heard a faint and high pitched funny bugle come off the hill I left my buddy on. I turned on my radio and called him up. "was that you?"
He simply replied..."time to go to work son"

!!!!!! YEAH !!!!!!

He had never been on a plane, never seen an elk, never hunted an elk!!!! And had just landed a 5x5 Idaho bull. Talk about beginners luck!!! I was so stoked. He touched off a round from his side arm. He was too far for his radio to reach up the canyon to his friend that came with him(westernwannabe). However that round got him on the radio. I relayed its time to go to work.

We all had one heck of a pack out with this guy off the top of the hill. Smiles all the way and excitement that brought the fun back into a hunt that was getting so frustrating for four days.
In a moment we had an elk down.
Me and Westernwannabe failed to stick an elk this year. However we did enjoy a last morning four hour cat and mouse game on a big toad.

Here is the prize for this years lucky hunter.1754

MT backcountry hunter
09-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Awesome! Beginners luck if it may be but I am sure it was cool being in the mountains with a good friend and getting to be there when he harvested his first elk. Great story.

Steakhunter
09-25-2011, 10:02 PM
I'll take beginners luck over oldtimers skill anyday!!! Hahaha! But i'm the Ohio hunter that he's talking about too!

Bitterroot Bulls
09-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Nice job Steakhunter!

Welcome to Eastmans' Forum as well.

Skybuster1329
09-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the story !!

wolftalonID
09-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Steakhunter!! Welcome to the greatest forums on the web!!! Ill be shipped out today. Thanks for you two coming out and making one heck of a hunt this year!! Ill have those pics mailed out today for you as well.

Elkoholic307
09-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Welcome to the greatest forums on the web!!!

Not quite.

Steakhunter
09-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Contrary to the story a little, western wannabe and I have been still hunting different animals for about 25 years each now and I was surprized by some of the similarities between hunting elk and hunting whitetails. I can only speak for the area we were hunting in as I have not hunted elk elsewhere, but there were a lot of similarities. When the three of us split up on the fourth morning, I found myself going to the old faithfull tractics....where are the elk bedding down, where are they going when their up, and what route are they using to get back and forth? Im not saying this is the best way to hunt elk, i am not an experienced elk hunter, but it worked once and on this hunt once was all it took. Another similarity is that hunting elk and whitetail are both more addicting than crack! Lots of fun, and maybe some luck, but definetly helped to have experience hunting whitetail for several years. It is amazing how much fun we had harvesting one elk, westernwannabe and I have killed around 100 whitetails and still both got stupid excited over it .....Thats why we do all do it!!!

Drhorsepower
09-30-2011, 01:53 AM
Not quite.

I second that.

Steakhunter
10-12-2011, 08:16 PM
so what is the best forum on the web?

Elkoholic307
10-20-2011, 02:35 PM
longrangehunting.com

bowhuntress
10-20-2011, 03:20 PM
longrangehunting.com

All I can say is WOW, can't you just leave it alone? If you don't like this forum then maybe you should find something else. Some of us here do enjoy reading what others have to say.

Sorry but after reading all the negative posts today it just bugs me to keep bringing things up like that.

Elkoholic307
10-21-2011, 02:33 PM
He asked what the best forum is and I told him. Cheer up.

jay
10-21-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm with you bowhuntress, get over it already. Must not be that bad they're still posting...

westernwannabe
10-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Their probably some young boys just trying to stir people up! :D

Elkoholic307
10-24-2011, 08:25 PM
I am 24. Who is they?

westernwannabe
10-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Like you don't know who your buddy is the guy that chimes in and agrees with you everytime you post something. Didn't your parents teach you if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. I guess not!

Steakhunter
10-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Must agree, you have been nothing but short and negative since the first time I posted on this sight. But offer up a free hunt for eastern whitetails and you cheer right up and decide we can be friends. DR horse power got no beef with you, but I did not get on this sight and share my hunts to be talked down to by somebody that hates this forum and yet has more than a decade less experience than myself, and I'm even a pup compared to many on this sight. By the way I did get on longrange.com, and the first thing I saw was an add for a freakin crossbow HAHA!!!

Drhorsepower
10-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Wow I missed a whole bunch! I agree with some stuff elkaholic said in the past but not lately. Just stirring stuff up. dude simmer down. The reason i seconded this isn't the best forum is because of all the bickering on here. I see that that is why he likes it and half of the problem. There is great info on here when you wade through bs. When folks like bitterroot posts, I always take the time to read because he post great info and has a great knowledge database. Folks like him and many others that comment on gear and tactics is why I joined this forum. Not to bicker.

Elkoholic307
10-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Like you don't know who your buddy is the guy that chimes in and agrees with you everytime you post something. Didn't your parents teach you if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. I guess not!

Lol he got banned a looong time ago, hence why he hasn't chimed in, in a long time. So, I still don't know who 'they' is.

Edit: What's the point of a forum if noone speaks their mind?

Steakhunter - Yes, I've seen the crossbow ad. I agree, it's strange. But, go to the forum and look through the discussions. Tons of good info there.

Elkoholic307
10-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Must agree, you have been nothing but short and negative since the first time I posted on this sight. But offer up a free hunt for eastern whitetails and you cheer right up and decide we can be friends.

Didn't expect you to actually take me seriously. I only said "sounds good to me" because I wanted to quit arguing.

There is no way I would take you up on that. My time and money would be much better spent elsewhere.

Steakhunter
10-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Well then spend it somewhere else and enjoy yourself far from Ohio. I am done. Argument closed. We aparently all agree that we need to quit arguing but easier said than done sometimes I guess. Does anyone know what the largest whitetail scored that was killed in Idaho?

wolftalonID
10-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah Steakhunter I do!
182 5/8 was in 1993 for rifle and 168 1/8 for Archery in 1994 and 137 1/8 for Archery Velvet in 1994 and for black powder 164 2/8 in 1988.
The largest Whitetale most recently recorded was 175 3/8 in 2001. That was a typical with rifle. These are all Eastern Whitetails non have been recorded as I know of of columbian whitetails in Idaho.

Whats your biggest one in Ohio you have tagged todate?

Steakhunter
11-01-2011, 10:18 PM
My personal best is a 154 inch whitetail, that is with a local guys tape, but he's pretty acurate.
As far as Ohio goes, we have a 232 5/8 non typical in 2010 with a muzzeloader, and the world record non-typical archery kill (Beatty Buck) that scored 294 inches, and a 291 2/8 in 2006 I believe was killed with a shotgun.
I would love to get a chance at a 200 inch deer, but that 154 I killed was with my grandpaw about 2 months before he passed away, it would be hard for me to kill a deer that means more to me than that one, no matter the score!!!

jay
11-04-2011, 03:27 PM
steakhunter, post a pick of that 154 buck taken with g-pa.

wolftalonID
11-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Sounds like that hunt was one for the memory books for sure!