PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about road hunting?

arrowslinger21
02-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Just curious after a recent discussion with some people...how many of you out there are for or against road hunting and why? Do you road hunt? Do you dislike road hunters or are you ok with them? Just curious to hear some thoughts on this one. Thanks,
Kevin

TwoBear
02-27-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't have an issue with it per se. I don't think it is the most effective method, however, some folks can't hike. Montana has a strong tradition of hunting, and I see nothing wrong with an 80 year old hunting off the road. Usually, they drive around and park get out and wait. At least they are giving it a shot, beats sitting in front of the tube during hunting season!! We also have some handicap folks that like to hunt and this is their only way. I know Sunday afternoons will have road hunters as well. They have to be at work Monday to pay the bills and they know they can't get one out in time if they hike in. So I guess, not everybody that hunts the roads does so because they are lazy.

Jerry
02-27-2011, 02:30 PM
I agree with TwoBear, There is a time and place for it. Actually the more people that road hunt keeps them out of the wilderness areas!

Thomas
02-27-2011, 04:15 PM
I don't have an issue with as long as people get out of there damn truck and take the animal legally plus it keeps them out of the backcountry where the real hunting takes place

Elkcrazedfrk
02-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Agreed with above posts. I see plenty every year ridig their wheelers up and down the trails lokking for the big wapati to run right out in front of them. I've watched elk more than twice lay there and watch guys drive right by em. After about 20 mins they settle down and go back to sleep. I look at it as one less person in the woods to mess up my hunt.

Jerry
02-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Agreed with above posts. I see plenty every year ridig their wheelers up and down the trails lokking for the big wapati to run right out in front of them.

Quads and 4 wheelers are a different story. Because they can go so far off road, I have a problem with them just bombin thru the woods. Handicapped people, older hunters and a few other circumstances like getting into and out of a remote camp would be ok. But even that is being kind of disruptive to other hunters who are trying to keep noise and other disturbances to minimum.

arrowslinger21
02-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Yeah I would agree to that. I highly dislike 4 wheelers. I think that they should only be allowed on improved roads. I do not like them in the woods at all. They are too easy for guys to get around gates that are supposed to be closed to all motor vehicle travel, and they are too noisy and ruin the hunting for the guys who are trying to do things the right way.

Blue Skies Hunting Advent
02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
You know I was not a fan of road hunters, but Two bears made a great point, thanks for sharing that.

jjs4429
02-28-2011, 06:44 PM
My dads old hunting partner had 8 knee operations .He couldn't get around so well.He became very proficiant at road hunting and harvested some nice mature bucks.

Shane
03-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Older people and handicaped I don't have a problem with, and I have even done the occasional Sunday afternoon drive, bit it really ticks me off when I see someone shoot a nice bull or buck from the road when you know damn well they didnt even walk and don't deserve what they have just shot.

Bobmuley
03-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't mind it as long as they don't leave their truck idling in the middle of a 10' wide road, doors swung open, and matching Miller Lite bottles standing on each side of the toolbox. Then its annoying.

03-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm not against them. They don't effect my hunt so I don't mind them.

Archer32
03-02-2011, 03:01 PM
I always wondered how dudes get a whole elk in the back of the truck. Everyone I've ever killed has been hauled out piece by piece on my back. I'm not against it, long as everything is legal. I spend lots of time behind the wheel driving block management areas to put the stalk on antelope with the bow. Actually had a shot with the bow right outside of the door last year on an antelope. I love sept as they get pretty silly.

anglinarcher
03-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Never hunted a road before how do they taste? J/K

Roadhunting is not my gig. I really like getting back in there to be on the animals turf and get the full experience. Don't get me wrong I have taken a shot at a few animals that were within a quarter mile of the trail head. I hunt the second I leave the truck all the way to where I pitch my tent.

rpeebles
03-03-2011, 09:35 AM
I love road hunters! Less people to deal with in the back country. Folks have made some really good points on the Forum. As far as I'm concerned, as long as people are legal and SAFE, have at it and enjoy yourself.

Sharpstick
03-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Yeah, to each their own as long as it's legal and not pissing me off like the guy who rides his wheeler off the road and ended up parking it below my tree stand. That's almost grounds for a rubber dub in the butt!

elkslayer4x5
03-04-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't mind it as long as they don't leave their truck idling in the middle of a 10' wide road, doors swung open, and matching Miller Lite bottles standing on each side of the toolbox. Then its annoying.

With you there 100%, thats as annoying as the trail of bottles they left from there.!

jhpam3117
03-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Road hunting with only going 100 yards from the truck is all I knew until I got into bowhunting 6 years ago. I don't have anything against them...it seems those hunters are out for a vacation/hunt than an actual hunt. Since bowhunting I have found the value in walking a few miles off the beaten path!

turkeyhunter60
03-08-2011, 10:21 PM
No problem with it at all.....I heard of A guy few towns south of me, Shooting a big 6 point bull elk laying down, 60 yards off the road....:cool:

BOHNTR
03-09-2011, 08:24 AM
I don't have a lot of experience in dealing with road hunters the last few years, as I mostly hunt where there are no roads (wilderness).

When I bowhunted the Kaibab all those years, there were plenty of road hunters and a fairly large network of roads on the plateau. There were plenty of places to get off the road and still-hunt.......only issue I've had is when they "block" the top of a road waiting for prime time while I'm trying to drive past them so I can park and start hiking before daybreak. Most of the time they just let me by, but some wouldn't until we had a chat and they realized I wasn't road hunting.

I do feel that those who exclusively road hunt that are physically able to hike, as I feel they are missing the beauty of the hunt itself......but if they're content and it's legal where they're at, who am I to say otherwise. JMO

hoytnut
03-10-2011, 09:00 AM
I have no issue at all with it. Especially if that is all they can do physically. However, as has been stated above,for those that are physically capable of doing more I think they miss out on a lot on what hunting has to offer by limiting themselves to the roads.

wolftalonID
03-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I hunt both ways. I love the week long elk camp, hiking and going further into the wilderness areas. I also like road hunting on lazy weekend days when I dont have time to set a camp. However, I tend to road hunt my deer on the final days being I bow hunt, and deer will stand there and watch you get out and shoot them. Elk however dont like a show, you have to work for them.
I do get out of the truck to shoot my deer, I have taken two over the years like this. Its rather hard to shoot a bow from inside the truck anyway!
I dont own a quad, and I agree, they are so disruptive to hunting. I can understand using them to get from camp to a trail head, but I hate it when your hiked in a mile or so, and along comes some guys on them up the trail. I always check my tags to make sure I dont have a quad rider tag...so far I have not seen one in my tag wallet... ;)

T43
03-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Like most so far I have no problem with it. They don't bother me where I go and if they stay on the roads then there isn't as much pressure in the back country.

BADbuckfever
03-10-2011, 04:57 PM
In 2009 I went up to northern California to hunt Blacktails on the archery opener and was amazed at the hordes of road hunting archers. Many guys were even standing in the backs of pickups (bow in hand) while driving around. Its not even legal to shoot from a vehicle. I hope they got busted. But, I do think if you are limited physically its a legal option as long as you get off the road to make your shot. Like many others have stated it does keep many folks out of the woods and gives those willing to make the effort an added advantage. Plus it keeps the game away from the roads with all that traffic.

mthuntress
03-16-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't mind roadhunters as long as they get out of the car to shoot unless they had the decal that aloow shooting from the car becuase
they physically can't do it.I know it's the only way I can hunt with my Dad anymore he's had 50 strokes at lest he can still hold a rifle still.