PDA

View Full Version : Wild Hogs in Idaho

NRS
02-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Just read this article in the boise weekly about wild hogs, Dosnt look good.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/unwelcome-invaders-wild-pigs-pose-a-serious-new-threat-to-idaho/Content?oid=2090820&showFullText=true

T43
03-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Hopefully we can stay ahead of them.

wolftalonID
03-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Maybe we can get to start hunting them!!! I have always wanted to bow hunt hogs, but didnt want to go south to do it.

MT.MAN
04-14-2011, 12:30 PM
wolfalonID you can def. go hunt them now. They are not WILD and the IDF&G has said that all you need is a valid hunting license to go shoot them. I have heard they are in the cat-tails along the CJ Strike east end, but have not had a chance to go check it out. Might just take the boat down there soon and cruise the bank shooting Carp and have the regular bow in the boat just in case a hog shows himself.

wolftalonID
04-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Really? So no tag needed? Well guess thats a stupid question being there isnt a tag listed in the book for them.
So they are like yotes? shoot em at will? As far as wild, I am in reference to them not being owned by a rancher or private party. Wild as in you can shoot them and eat em and not get in trouble for it?

If they are open any time, Im gonna make me a trip down there sometime soon.

T43
04-14-2011, 03:39 PM
IDF&G wants them gone there is basically an open season. Like coyotes but you can eat them.

MT.MAN
04-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Yes, open season. They are feral, not wild which basically means that someone let them go from their ranch and now they are breeding like crazy. It doesn't take long for them to get a healthy population and IDF&G wants them gone like T43 said. I have been told they are good bacon if you get a couple young sows. They are very destructive critters too. I would like to go chase them too, but I will be sitting in a turkey blind tomorrow and then the Wounded Warrior 3D shoot on Sat. Then here soon I'll be sitting in a treestand on my bear bait. Too many things to do with too little time. Man that powerball needs to call my name soon..;-)

woodtick
04-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Just don't let them granola crunchers from Sun Valley know there here or they'll be protected!!

wolftalonID
04-15-2011, 03:37 PM
hehe...endangered bacon. Oh the boys down south would roll over in their graves on that one. lol

T43
04-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Just don't let them granola crunchers from Sun Valley know there here or they'll be protected!!

That's to true to be funny!

ID_MW
04-27-2011, 04:42 PM
It is true that a valid hunting license is all that is needed to head out on a feral hog hunt; but do a little homework. There aren't many feral hogs near Strike currently, nor anywhere else here in Idaho. That being said, there is no reason NOT to head out and attempt a hog hunt. Be sure to check with the WMA administrative office, as F&G will alter their rules for WMA hunting management from time to time, and it may not hurt to talk with staff, as they may be able to point you in the right direction for a hog outing. The propensity for feral hogs to rapidly reproduce and wreak havoc on agricultural and riparian lands is not to be taken lightly. Good luck to all planning a hog hunt in Idaho. The link to C.J. Strike WMA is http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/wildlife/wma/cj/visit.cfm#huntfish

T43
04-27-2011, 05:00 PM
So who will be the first one to post picture proof of taking an Idaho oinker?

wolftalonID
04-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Thank you ID_MW. Very good advise and a great link for info!

newguy220
07-13-2012, 08:20 PM
So did anyone ever find out if there were really hogs on the loose?

newguy220

ivorytip
07-14-2012, 10:02 AM
what a what?

meathunter
07-14-2012, 10:03 PM
you can always hunt hogs over by Shoshone in idaho here's the link http://europeanwildboarhunt.com/map.html

i wonder about if a couple of piglets could escape through the fence over there and do the same

ivorytip
07-15-2012, 07:38 AM
yeah ive checked that place out thinking it would b a fun thing to do but from the sounds of it its pretty cheesey. bring home the bacon!!!

meathunter
07-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Yeah that's what I heard too. Neighbor went last year and got one with a bow, said it was fun. I've hunted in Texas a couple of times on open range. They were good times, but the damage these oinkers do ain't worth it to have them running loose in ID.

Colorado Cowboy
07-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Yes, open season. They are feral, not wild which basically means that someone let them go from their ranch and now they are breeding like crazy. It doesn't take long for them to get a healthy population and IDF&G wants them gone like T43 said. I have been told they are good bacon if you get a couple young sows.

I've shot a lot of them in Texas and they are VERY good eating.

ivorytip
07-15-2012, 05:10 PM
well hell lets get this prob done and over with

wolftalonID
07-28-2012, 06:33 PM
recently in a talk with Idaho fish and game regarding aerial hunting non the less, the topic of hogs came up. There were several of us wondering about doing some high tech coyote hunting...but due to the FAA rules on big game hunting from the air, they also take the same attitude on other animals as well.
I brought up some videos I had seen of guys hog hunting this way, and wondered about us doing this here in Idaho maybe. Interestingly enough, the game officer denied the information regarding Idaho feral hogs near CJ. Not sure if its because they have all been rounded up now or not, as I never got over there to look for myself. Just find it interesting they are now saying we have never had feral hogs on the loose in Idaho.....and sadly even if we did....no helicopter hunting of them. :(