PDA

View Full Version : Bow hunting personal protection firearm.

henkesean
10-05-2011, 03:51 PM
What caliber side arm would be sufficiet for protection while bow hunting to protect against bear and cougar?

Jerry
10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Without a doubt for me, I carry a 44 mag. Some may say it is over kill, but If I want to dissuade something I don't want to have to shoot a dozen times. Same thing for concealed carry!

Drhorsepower
10-05-2011, 04:39 PM
I would carry a 9x23. Odd caliber but amazing.

MT backcountry hunter
10-05-2011, 06:20 PM
I have a snub nose Ruger SP101 in .357. I wanted a pistol that would cover a wide range of use, from personal protection to bear encounters. I keep 380 ammo in it when its in the car and then I throw in the .357 180 grain solids when headed into bear country. I can also practice alot with the pistol since 380 ammo is cheap and recoil is next to nothing.

Bitterroot Bulls
10-05-2011, 07:01 PM
MT backcountry hunter,

I hope you mean you keep .38 special ammo in your sp101. :confused: That is a fine carry pistol.

I think good bear spray is the best deterrent to a bear attack. There have been a lot of people mauled by wounded bears, and then there are tragedies like the hunter being shot and killed by his partner in north Idaho this year, trying to shoot a mauling grizzly.

That said, I often carry a .40 S&W Glock while in the backcountry.

dcestnik
10-05-2011, 07:59 PM
44, 454 or 500 with solid cast bullets if you can make a drop dead in their tracks shot in a panic or save a ton of weight with bear spray.

Elkoholic307
10-05-2011, 08:16 PM
I carry a 41 mag and would prefer not to carry anything smaller in griz country.

bushmasterar15
10-06-2011, 04:06 AM
Glock 21C 45acp or the G22-23 40 S&W

shootbrownelk
10-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I carry either a bobbed ruger super redhawk (4"bbl.) shooting Barnes XPB,
or a 4" N-frame S&W in .41 mag. also with the Barnes bullets. I agree with Jerry,
one good hit with a big-bore is better than the "spray & pray" with lesser calibers.

RUTTIN
10-06-2011, 08:51 AM
I carry a Taurus Judge, 3 45 long colts, and the rest are 410. Don't get the big grizz in Utah, so I think it would work fine on Black bear.

jenbickel
10-06-2011, 10:00 AM
I also carry a .41 mag... I love it! :)

miller1
10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
I have a 357 sig i carry when in black bear and cat country, im thinking about selling it and getting a Glock 20 (10mm)

Drhorsepower
10-06-2011, 02:18 PM
.357 sig is a great cartridge.

jbtx
10-06-2011, 03:51 PM
What ever caliber you decide to carry, just make sure your very proficient with your handgun.....
When your worst thoughts come to life right infront of you, you have to have the mindset to react instinctively and to place your shots where they need to be......You might be proficient on the range, but the rugged wilderness terrain will place you off balance and you will probrably have to be moving when your shooting. Practice shooting from different postitions and scenarios....

Drhorsepower
10-06-2011, 04:03 PM
What ever caliber you decide to carry, just make sure your very proficient with your handgun.....
When your worst thoughts come to life right infront of you, you have to have the mindset to react instinctively and to place your shots where they need to be......You might be proficient on the range, but the rugged wilderness terrain will place you off balance and you will probrably have to be moving when your shooting. Practice shooting from different postitions and scenarios....

I second that. You can have whatever caliber you want but the best one is the one you can use proficiently. You would do more damage with a 9mm you have shot 5k times than a whatever you have shot 100 times.

bushmasterar15
10-07-2011, 01:10 AM
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r62/bushmaster9999/SVI-1.jpg

Drhorsepower
10-07-2011, 01:15 AM
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r62/bushmaster9999/SVI-1.jpg

That's one bad 1911. I'm glad to see another 1911 fan on here. I love em. I would own more if my pockets were deeper.

What caliber?

10-07-2011, 07:55 PM
I used to carry a Glock 22 .40 sw. but now I carry bear spray. Anything would have a hard time taking 15 rounds of .40 s&w, but in the end a bear's weakest system is his nose and respiratory system. Bear Spray is very efective at damageing this system. On the other hand when you shoot a bear you are attacking his circulatory system, which is quite tough. A bear can go for a long time even if you hit him in the pumper. He wont go anywhere with his sinuses full of pepper spray.

tim
10-14-2011, 07:25 PM
MT backcountry hunter,

I think good bear spray is the best deterrent to a bear attack. There have been a lot of people mauled by wounded bears, and then there are tragedies like the hunter being shot and killed by his partner in north Idaho this year, trying to shoot a mauling grizzly.

this one is a wierd one, especially since the kid mistook the young grizzly for a black bear and wounded the bear. Both hunters went looking for the wounded bear, when the bear charged and the kid shot the other hunter while he was tyring to kill the wounded grizzly bear.
a bad situation all the way around.

Elkoholic307
10-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I've kicked around the Handgun vs. Bear Spray ideas for a while now, but am still clinging my gun. Reason being, my bullets fight the wind a whole lot better than the spray. After messing around with a can of bear spray I saw how much the wind can drift it around. Everyone knows how windy the high country can be, so what if the wind is not in your favor?

catman
10-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I recommend checking regulations for your hunt area for legality of carrying a gun during bow season. Wyoming does or did have regulations against carrying a firearm during bow season. I just tried to find in current regulations for reference and was unable to find it. A check of the regulations would be a good idea. I carry bear spray while in the mountains but always feel better when I have a gun along also!

floorya
10-26-2011, 05:07 PM
like mentioned above. nevada does not permit you to carry any firearm while bow hunting. now having said that.... i carry an xd.45.:cool:

hardstalk
10-26-2011, 07:55 PM
True on the Nevada statement above. I always choose to draw a mtn lion tag if successful in the deer draw and if I am caught with a side arm I have a valid kitty tag to fight the case.

jenbickel
10-26-2011, 08:26 PM
I recommend checking regulations for your hunt area for legality of carrying a gun during bow season. Wyoming does or did have regulations against carrying a firearm during bow season. I just tried to find in current regulations for reference and was unable to find it. A check of the regulations would be a good idea. I carry bear spray while in the mountains but always feel better when I have a gun along also!

They just barely changed the regulations for carrying a handgun while bowhunting in Wyoming.. i think it was like a year ago that they changed it to where you are allowed to.

Jon Boy
10-26-2011, 11:31 PM
They just barely changed the regulations for carrying a handgun while bowhunting in Wyoming.. i think it was like a year ago that they changed it to where you are allowed to.

Washington just did the same thing. Ive read though if you fight it in a state that has a law against it you can win, Federal law (2nd amendment) always over rides state law. Not sure if its true but it does make sense.

DIYLife
03-10-2014, 12:50 PM
I just bought a Ruger GP100 .357 mag.
It is fun to shoot, and should be sufficient in a black bear/ mountain lion situation.

kiddwinner
03-10-2014, 02:21 PM
bear spray is probably your best option for bears!

Don K
03-10-2014, 08:00 PM
Im with kiddwinner on this one

Retterath
03-10-2014, 08:41 PM
glock 20 in 10mm

Fink
03-10-2014, 09:24 PM
glock 20 in 10mm

How do you like that Glock 20? I've been thinking hard about buying one. I currently run a Kimber 1911, and bear spray. My plan is to spray the bear with the bear spray, and then finish him off with the .45

trkytrack2
03-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Bear spray only. I honestly believe that few hunters could effectively draw, aim and shoot quickly and accurately enough to stop a charging bear. A blast of bear spray, even from two feet away, will cause any bear to change it's mind real quick.

kiddwinner
03-11-2014, 09:32 AM
trkytrack2 youre right, if you look at some stats its surprisingly much more effective than a gun

tim
04-23-2014, 04:38 PM
bear spray for bears, and .40 s&w for everything else. more worried about the 2 legged ones, than the 4 legged ones.

Againstthewind
04-23-2014, 09:02 PM
I am on the bear spray team, too. I am not an expert, but the national park rangers and game wardens and everyone I have heard talk about it say to go with the bear spray. 307 has a good caution, though. One time I thought I should test out the bear spray. I made sure I was upwind of the spray, but wasn't watching my kid so close. He got a little bit of blowback. Just enough to make his eyes water a little, but he always seems to tell that story.

OregonJim
04-23-2014, 11:40 PM
.40 Baretta 8040 Cougar.
I've thought about getting a .410/.45 Judge.

I'm not on the bear spray bandwagon. If I hunted in Grizzly/Brown Bear country I might be.
I have seen how long a human can keep hurting you after sprayed and how they usually curl up after 5-10 seconds after a good spray. That is with a spray that is designed to incapacitate rather than irritate.
There is lot of misinformation out there but it sure seems that bear spray is less hot than human spray. (concentration OC)
Obviously you get a heck of a lot more range and volume with a canister of bear spray.

I am a big believer in muscle memory and drawing a sidearm comes a lot more naturally to me than pulling a spray can from my belt.
I guess if I were hunting in Grizz country I'd carry both but in a true charge I'm burning powder with the first one in the ground if there is time.

Anyone actually sprayed a bear or have good knowledge ???

OregonJim
04-23-2014, 11:44 PM
I am on the bear spray team, too. I am not an expert, but the national park rangers and game wardens and everyone I have heard talk about it say to go with the bear spray. 307 has a good caution, though. One time I thought I should test out the bear spray. I made sure I was upwind of the spray, but wasn't watching my kid so close. He got a little bit of blowback. Just enough to make his eyes water a little, but he always seems to tell that story.

HA.... I emptied a human defense canister of OC spray down the bathroom sink once because it said not to throw it in the trash.
I had a mask and goggles and the window open:o.
Should have told the Mother-in-Law who decided to wash her face later that evening....:D

Againstthewind
04-24-2014, 12:05 AM
http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/bear%20spray.pdf

This is pretty much what I have been told in the bear aware things I have gone to. Kiddwinner from Cody has a lot of local knowledge I would say.

http://www.examiner.com/article/bear-spray-vs-guns-argument-is-ridiculous-says-bear-safety-expert

There are two sides to everything as usual. For me personally the choice is pretty simple because I am terrible with a handgun. My dad was an instructor at the police academy, but I haven't shot for so long I am not sure I could hit the broad side of a barn. So I am in the category of not being skilled enough to count of them.

Elkhunter96
04-24-2014, 12:52 AM
I would carry both in Grizz country. That being said, bear spray sucks when it's windy at all. A guide I know in Alaska simply says it adds some flavor to the food before the bear eats ya...

mntnguide
04-24-2014, 01:07 AM
I carry a .44 mag super red hawk with a 4" barrel at all times when guiding in NW wyoming wilderness. . I always carry bear spray to give to my guests on summer trips; and we wrap our hunting camp in 3 strand electric fence that pushes 11,000 volts when turned on..I have had a good friend empty a full can of spray on a charging Griz three times before he had to shoot her with his .45-.70 3 more separate charges and she died 10 feet from his feet. . Spray doesn't deter a hungry Griz, just adds taste to the air. I wouldn't leave camp without my Pistol in Griz country. Ive seen them run through the stuff like its no big deal. Just my personal thoughts from my own close encounters each year.

Colorado Cowboy
04-24-2014, 07:48 AM
I carry a .44 mag super red hawk with a 4" barrel at all times when guiding in NW wyoming wilderness. . I always carry bear spray to give to my guests on summer trips; and we wrap our hunting camp in 3 strand electric fence that pushes 11,000 volts when turned on..I have had a good friend empty a full can of spray on a charging Griz three times before he had to shoot her with his .45-.70 3 more separate charges and she died 10 feet from his feet. . Spray doesn't deter a hungry Griz, just adds taste to the air. I wouldn't leave camp without my Pistol in Griz country. Ive seen them run through the stuff like its no big deal. Just my personal thoughts from my own close encounters each year.

When I hunted in your part of Wyoming , I carried both. I'm very proficient with a handgun (I'm a NRA Pistol instructor) and am confident I can hit what I am shooting at very well. Our outfitter required all hunters to have bear spray, he said it was a FS requirement in a wilderness area with grizzlies (not sure how true that was!) . I do know we had several encounters with them and my guide carried a .44 mag and I had a S&W .50 and spray. Luckily we did not need to use them. Our camp was surrounded with electric fence and there were 3 or 4 camp dogs. One night the dogs really started raising a fuss and at breakfast they said we had been visited by a bear .

libidilatimmy
04-24-2014, 09:35 AM
When bow hunting in grizz country, we always carry a slug gun. The caller will have this handy at all times, but bear spray is carried by both at all times as well.

sheephunter
04-26-2014, 02:37 PM
I carry a Taurus Titanium 41 mag...sometimes I lust for the firepower of my RSR 44 mag but I have the 9 1/2" barrel and it's just too big and heavy to carry the places I end up going. I actually had my 41 mag out of the holster once on a sow with a cub at a later measure 11 yards and all I could think was "if I kill this bear I am really going to screw my weekend up"; I think the bear spray camp certainly has some merit.

wa-hunter
04-26-2014, 04:34 PM
girlfriend bought me a glock 10mm for Christmas for my new back country carry gun!!! what a good girl!!!