PDA

View Full Version : Hunting clothing for spot and stalk and still hunting

Anthony Steele
10-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Hey everyone I am in the market for some new hunting clothing since we are headed to Colorado for late season elk. In my research I have found that most of the marketing for hunting clothes is directed toward the whitetail hunter hunting from a stand, which understandable because there a lot of these guys out there. So that being said what info can you guys give me in making my decision on a layering system that I can use in all conditions for still hunting and spot and stalk in the snow or in early season hunts. .:mad:

thanks!!!

RUTTIN
10-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Core 4 Element, Russel APXG2, Sitka, Kuiu. That should give you a start on research.

NDHunter
10-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Take a look at first lite wool. That is a great base layer.

tim
10-06-2011, 06:44 PM
cabelas microtex works really good and is not that expensive. I did have to add some belt loops on the pants. but great stuff for not alot of money.

Bitterroot Bulls
10-06-2011, 07:09 PM
It is hard to go wrong with the Sitka stuff. Just make sure to try it on, sizing can be kind of weird. I have an early 90% jacket, before they started using the really thin material, and it is my favorite piece of hunting clothing.

BigSurArcher
10-06-2011, 10:47 PM
I'll second the Core 4 Element. Used it in Nevada and was very comfortable and very impressed.

MT backcountry hunter
10-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Baselayer- Use merino wool. Smartwool, icebreaker, firstlite. All good companies and all make a good product. Merino is not the wool that your dad used to wear deer hunting. No itch, great wicking properties and keeps you warm when wet. Merino also has great anti-stink properties.
Pants/Jacket-Sitka, Kuiu are going to be my 2 recommendations. They are quality products with a price to go along with it by just like anything you are going to get what you pay for.

Matthoek21
10-09-2011, 08:52 AM
I totally agree with MT backcountry. I've been using Smartwool for awhile. Have tops and bottom insulated underwear. I love this stuff. Its ability to mask odor and control moisture is remarkable. I actually just bought 3 pair of socks just for my running shoes. Also i just ordered my Sitka system as well. Cant wait for it to get here. I went with the 90% pant and Jetstream jacket along with Traverse tops and bottoms. Excited to field test these products in Missouri on rut hunt at the beginning of next month.
Baselayer- Use merino wool. Smartwool, icebreaker, firstlite. All good companies and all make a good product. Merino is not the wool that your dad used to wear deer hunting. No itch, great wicking properties and keeps you warm when wet. Merino also has great anti-stink properties.
Pants/Jacket-Sitka, Kuiu are going to be my 2 recommendations. They are quality products with a price to go along with it by just like anything you are going to get what you pay for.

Fink
10-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Excited to field test these products in Missouri on rut hunt at the beginning of next month.

What part of Missouri are you headed to Matt? It's been really warm here in North Central Missouri, and the bucks have not been active.. That should start changing in the next 2 weeks. You'll like the Sitka stuff if it doesnt get too cold, I've found its at its best on the really windy days.

Good luck here in Missouri, will you be bow hunting or gun?

Matthoek21
10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Heading to Gilman City in Harrison Co. just up 35 before you get to Iowa for our annual bow hunt. We hunt a buddy of mines farm up there. We love that trip. We will be there from Nov.2nd thru the 8th. Hope it does start cooling down soon. I am anxious to try my new Sitka Jetstream jacket. I ordered the traverse tops and bottoms because I was told it is warmer than Coldgear from UA without the tight fit. Hope with the layering this will be perfect for up there this time of year.

Anthony Steele
10-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I am gonna go with the first lite merino wool for a base layer. I am still researching the outerwear and wondering what your thoughts are on the outwear? I need something quite and something that has good waterproof qualities.
thanks again!!

Fink
10-12-2011, 08:22 PM
You're about 50 miles North of me, Lots of big bucks up there, antler restrictions are starting to really pay off..

I'm taking the 4th through the 14th off. You're timing is about perfect, I honestly don't think the weather will matter at all.. By early November, those bucks will be cruising.

Anthony Steele
10-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks to all for the help I am going to go with the first lite Chama top and the Allegheny bottom for a base layer but I am still trying to decide on what I should go for as far as outerwear. I checked out the redhead extreme elements parka and the extreme elements bibs and I liked them but I want to keep my options open so if you guys have any other suggestions that would help greatly.

Thanks and Good Luck this Fall

squirrelduster
10-14-2011, 10:33 PM
I have the Kuiu pants and guide jacket with the spindrift jacket. I was just in Wyoming at 30 degrees with a 25 mph wind. I was fine. The Kuiu stuff is great, very comfortable and durable. I had a Sitka Jet stream but gave it to my brother.