PDA

View Full Version : 300?

schoff
10-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Hello there all, new to the fourm and I must say it looks like a good bunch of people here!

I have a question for you, I am looking at getting a new rifle for Mule Deer/Elk and have my caliber choice down to either 300 WinMag or 300 WSM.

Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Grantbvfd
10-20-2011, 05:33 PM
300 win mag, there are many reasons but the main ones are:

Popular cartridge anywhere, you can find ammo for it anywhere that sells ammo

It's a proven cartridge, it's been around a long time and is very popular for a reason

Less recoil, all the WSM have much more recoil than their brother cartridge.

Ballistics are pretty close yet the 300 win mag is cheaper to shoot

Drhorsepower
10-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Also 300 win mag isnt as fat so magazines hold more.
My uncle has a 300 wsm in rem 700 and I believe it holds 3+1

While a 300 win. Holds 4+1.

Might not make a difference in your decision but maybe.

Mwalczak
10-20-2011, 06:49 PM
+1 to both of those responses. The fat case and steep shoulder on the wsm's also makes for a rougher cycle. I have a Kimber Montana with no floor plate so you have to cycle all the cartridges to empty the magazine. After a few loads/unloads the brass gets deep scratches. Other guns may not have that problem, but mine does...

Bitterroot Bulls
10-20-2011, 07:39 PM
I think the two cartridges are more similar than different. In my experience, the 300 WSM is pretty widely available, anymore. Both are excellent handloading cartridges. I would make the choice based on the action you prefer: short or long.

jay
10-20-2011, 10:38 PM
i agree with bitterroot. I would add loading your own ammo, I had a 300 wsm and wasn't too happy with it, but from what i've heard, with custom loaded ammo they perform alot better, i only used ammo off the shelf. Took more animals than not but lost a couple due to the bullet not hitting hard enough. Seemed like it would just pierce a small whole and slip right thru without mushrooming. After about 50 yards they would close up and were untrackable and would keep going and going and going. The ones i did harvest, had the same small hole but a better placed shot. Not proud of it, but it happens, hopefully you have better luck with it than i did.

jay
10-20-2011, 10:39 PM
they sure are showing some killer shows on the Outdoor Channel and Sportsmans Channel tonight!!!!

Elkoholic307
10-21-2011, 09:08 AM
I don't know what jay means by "not hitting hard enough" but that's certainly not the caliber's fault. Sounds like a crappy bullet.

The ballistics between the two are so close, it just comes down to what bullet you want to shoot. If you want to launch heavier bullets, 180-210+ gr., go with the winchester. If you are thinking of going lighter, 150-180 gr., the short mag will do that very well.

The 300 win. is legendary and that's what I would choose, but it should also be noted that your rifle will be lighter on a short action. Just depends on what you're looking for and your personal preference. You really can't go wrong with either one.

jay
10-21-2011, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=Elkoholic307;13558]I don't know what jay means by "not hitting hard enough" but that's certainly not the caliber's fault. Sounds like a crappy bullet.

I think I noted I was using "crappy bullets", thanks for the recap!

Jerry
10-21-2011, 09:24 PM
I can't speak about the wsm because I have never shot one, but my 300 win mag has 6 consecutive one shot kills!

Umpqua Hunter
10-23-2011, 02:40 AM
For the past 6 years I have been shooting a 300 WSM exclusively for big game hunting. I love mine! It has a titanium Remington action, a graphite wrapped bull barrel and weighs in at only 6.5 pounds scoped. It is ported and has a very light kick, in fact my wife has taken three animals with it. It is loud though with the porting...lol.

Here's my thought on the comparison between the two:

Ballistics: Nearly identical. There is not enough difference to decide on that factor. Both are plenty of gun for virtually any big game in North America. Since both are 30 caliber there is a wide range of bullets available for game from big bears to antelope. I personally shoot 165 grain bullets for everything from antelope to elk.

Recoil: I actually believe the WSM has lower recoil. My understanding is the WSM gets equivalent ballistics with about 10% powder due to a more efficient burn of the powder in the fatter case.

Capacity: Yes, the fatter cases may very well reduce you by one cartridge. Check the actual gun you are looking at for that factor.

Availability: I like to know my load and carry plenty of ammo where ever I am hunting. Great ammo with premium bullets is available for either one, from the big online hunting stores, or load your own.

Action: Short action with the WSM, give you some weight savings. I chose to WSM for the short action.

Accuracy: My 300 WSM will shoot 0.5" to 0.6" groups (at 100 yards) all day long, even with premium factory ammo.

schoff
10-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, I went with the 300 Win Mag. Remington 700 SPS Stainless. Zeiss Conquest MC 3-9x40mm

Drhorsepower
10-23-2011, 03:12 PM
You won't be disappointed.

sjsmallfield
10-23-2011, 04:18 PM
You won't be disappointed.

I would have to agree. I don't think either would be a bad choice though. Good luck!

Bitterroot Bulls
10-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, I went with the 300 Win Mag. Remington 700 SPS Stainless. Zeiss Conquest MC 3-9x40mm

Very nice setup. You are getting a lot of bang for your buck with that setup. I don't know what mounts you selected, but I really like Talley Lightweight One-Piece mounts.

http://swfa.com/Talley-Lightweight-Aluminum-1-Scopemount-P2834.aspx

schoff
10-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Bitterroot, I went with the Leupold Standard 2pc bases on my setup, but thanks for the link to the Talleys they look like good bases.

Drhorsepower
10-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Do you find advantages in two piece bases? Curiosity. I have always been a one piece guy myself due to the fact it is one solid piece. I also dremel my action and bottom of base and epoxy them together. I guess one advantage would be more room for shell insertion and extraction.

schoff
10-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Do you find advantages in two piece bases? Curiosity. I have always been a one piece guy myself due to the fact it is one solid piece. I also dremel my action and bottom of base and epoxy them together. I guess one advantage would be more room for shell insertion and extraction.

Mainly for the reason you stated more room for getting rounds in the gun. It does make cleaning the top of the action a little easier as well.