PDA

View Full Version : Game Meat Recipes **

Ikeepitcold
10-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Ok guys I hope I don't loose any guy card points for this post. But what are your favorite Recipes for game? Stew, chilli, anything you like to cook with game meat. Post the recipes. Thanx

6mm Remington
10-25-2011, 12:24 PM
My favorite way to cook wild game steak.
1. deer, elk, antelope steaks about 1/2" - 3/4" thick (thawed) If tough tenderize before cooking.
2. glass bowl or plastic (metal imparts a taste that you don't want) with some milk poured in it and throw about 5 or so eggs and whip up in the bowl. Enough egg and milk mixture to cover the meat.
3. Put the meat into the milk and egg mixture and stir up and cover the meat with the mixture. Cover the bowl and put in the fridge if you have time (not necessary) for a couple of hours. Enzymes in milk is supposed to help break it down.
4. Take a tube of Ritz Crackers and crush them in the tube (easier and less messy that way). Put the crackers on a plate.
5. Heat a large pan and put oil in it or butter at a medium heat.
6. Take a steak out after making sure it's covered in the milk mixture and quickly put it onto the cracker crumbs making sure you do both sides of the piece of steak. Do all of the pieces that way.
7. Cook the steak to where it's medium rare with just a bit of pink in the center. When the cracker crumb on one side is just getting a nice golden brown it's time to flip. Might take a couple times for you to figure out when to turn the steak. It needs to be a little pink in the middle in my opinion. It is juicier and holds the flavor. When you flip the steaks then you can salt and pepper to taste.
8. Served with mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetable, and a nice garden salad, it's good stuff. If the meat is gamey at all this takes most of all of the wild taste out.
ENJOY

Another SIMPLE way to do it but very good also!!

Take thawed steaks and roll in flour placed on a plate. An easier way is to put some flour, seasoning, salt, and pepper in a small paper bag or plastic bag. Shake it up really well. Take the meat and throw it into the bag and close the lid and keep air in the bag. Shake it up really well. That lightly flours the meat. Put the steaks into a heated pan on medium with oil or butter and cook to medium rare with just a bit of pink in the middle. Salt and pepper to taste. The pieces that might flake off in the pan are great in gravy. Make your gravy out of the same pan and it's great. Also a very good way to cook game steaks. It helps keep the meat from drying out and I love it that way.

RUTTIN
10-25-2011, 12:43 PM
I love to cut any venison into small cubes, put in the crock pot with potatoes, carrots, celery, and any other vegies you may like. Add some Mcormicks beef stew seasoning and the right amount of water. Put in the crock pot in the morning on low, when I get home from work I have some of the best beef stew ever.

Fink
10-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Favorite recipe:

2 inch thick backstrap (maybe 3 inches), seasoned with salt and lemon pepper, maybe a little bit of olive oil.. Grill it HOT and FAST over about a 600F grill to medium rare.

My mom always made meatballs with ground venison, I love them.. I'll have to dig that recipe up and post... Best meatballs ever!

bowhuntress
10-26-2011, 11:29 AM
I cook everything with wild game. We don't buy beef from the store so its hard to come up with something just for wild game.

I saw that P&Y is asking for wild game recipes to publish in a new cookbook. I can't wait for it to come out and see what it has in it! yum!

Leveller
10-26-2011, 06:34 PM
My husband and I do the cooking back to front. He does all the cooking at the house, and I do all the BBQ-ing, camp cooking and dutch oven - man, if you have not tried dutch oven cooking DO IT! It is awesome!

Anyway, here is one of my most favorite dutch oven deer recipes. Don;t be put off by all the fruit. My husband was, but after he tasted it he said it was one of the best ever (and he doesn't even like raisins).

2lb of venison stew meat cut in to chunks
3 T. oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups boiling water
2.5 cups cranberries
3/4 cup raisins
2 T. balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
2 T. brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon

Heat oil in Dutch oven and brown meat. Remove meat and saute onion, celery and garlic until just golden. Add meat, boiling water, cranberries, raisins, vinegar, brown sugar, spices and lemon. Cover and simmer for 1.5 hours. I like to add white rice about 30 minutes before the end as it soaks up all the delicious meat and fruit juices, but you can also serve it on the side if you prefer. It's freaking awesome either way!

If you want a good game cookbook the North American Hunting Club has several and also Tiffany Haugen has some awesome ones out that cover bear, deer, elk, poultry - you name it! You can find them here http://www.tiffanyhaugen.com/index.html

Jerry
10-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Check out Jim Zumbos cook book for many good ideas

Joe Hulburt
10-27-2011, 04:43 AM
Bear Stew (works with all game but bear is the best)

2 pounds bear meat cut in 1" pieces
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon marjoram leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons veg oil
1 can (16 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
1 cup water
1/4 cup white wine or water
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
1/2 cup choped celery
2 cloves garlic
bay leaf
2 big potatoes cut in 1' cubes

Pat the meat dry ( I learned this from the movie Julie and Julia :o) then put the flour and seasonings in a bag and toss the meat around in it then brown it....add everything else except the potatoes. Heat to boiling then simmer for 1 hour

add the potatoes and bring to boiling then simmer another hour.

I usually double this and it is all gone the next day. The best stew I have made to date.

If you want a good game cookbook the North American Hunting Club has several and also Tiffany Haugen has some awesome ones out that cover bear, deer, elk, poultry - you name it! You can find them here http://www.tiffanyhaugen.com/index.html

I would second checking out Tiffany Haugens cookbook! Every single thing I have tried from it is amazing! I will post up her Red Curry Antelope one soon.........just made that the other night. Mmmmm!

henkesean
10-27-2011, 07:56 AM
I agree that any wildgame in a crockpot on low heat with a mixture of vegetables, seasonin, and broth for the day is one of the best dinners you can make.

T43
10-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Swiss Steak
Cut small 2"x3"x3/4" steaks
Bread in flower, course black pepper, celery salt, season all salt
Brown in the bottom of a large cast iron skillet with a little oil in the bottom
Once browned add stewed tomatoes, worsticher (sp) sauce, garlic, chopped onion, potato chunks, catchup and water.
Simmer until steaks are fork tender.

Ikeepitcold
10-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanx everyone this is awesome! Keep'm comming!!!

NDHunter
10-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Here's one that I tried today and is as easy as it gets.

Venison Chili

1 pound ground venison
16 oz. jar of salsa
1 can northern beans, or kidney, or whatever you'd like
8 oz. block of pepperjack cheese, cut into cubes

Brown venison. Add all ingredients to the magical crockpot. Simmer on low for a couple hours. DELICIOUS!!!

6mm Remington
10-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Elk, deer, antelope roast:
Nice sized 4-6 pound roast.
Place roast in a roaster after lightly wiping the inside of the roaster with cooking oil. Put about 1/2 cup of water in the roaster.
Salt & pepper the roast adding any additional spices you want.
Cut up carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, and diced mushrooms and put into the roaster with the meat.
Put the roast in a Weber or similar briquette barbeque with the coals all set to go. Just before you put the roast on the grill, put some dampened apple wood chips on the coals. (I like to use a lot of them. Apple-wood really gives a nice flavor) Put the lid on the roaster but leave it slightly askew on the edge so the smoke from the apple chips goes up and circulates around in the roaster. Cook in the BBQ just like you would in an oven. When the roast is medium rare, you are ready to go! This way to cook roast has to be tried to be believed. It takes about the same length of time to cook a roast this way as it does in the oven. BEST game roast you will ever have!!

Ikeepitcold
10-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Wow that's real easy and sound great NDhunter!

Fish
12-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Add a bunch of green pepercorns to some soften butter. Spread the pepercorn butter on grilled venison steaks and salt then to taste. AWESOME. The LL Bean game cookbook is a great cookbook. I've made the venison roast with chocolate suace the last few Christmases from it, AWESOME+.

HuntWYODon
01-05-2012, 03:04 PM
I have one that even people that go EEEEWWW ! at the word game meat always like ( don't tell them until after eating).
I take one roast, elk,deer or antelope.
Cut up carrots,celery,potatoes,mushrooms,garlic and tomatoes if you want.
add whatever spices you like. I experiment with everything I cook and is rarely the same twice.
Put everything into crockpot including roast.
Add one large can of cream of mushroom soup.
Top off pot with water.
Cook until done.
One thing though, you have to have french rolls (buttered or not) to dip in the soup it makes.
If not, don't even make it ! You woun't be able to stop dipping the rolls !
Never met anyone who didn't like it.

Ikeepitcold
01-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Any recipes for Venison Jerky? I want to make some but it will be my first time. Can it be done in the oven or should I get a smoker?

Drhorsepower
01-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Any recipes for Venison Jerky? I want to make some but it will be my first time. Can it be done in the oven or should I get a smoker?

I use a dehydrator. Here is the recipe I use, I add a ground peppers to it for some heat though.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/deer-jerky/

It is the first recipe that pops up on a google search for deer jerky recipe, I thought I would try it and it's really good!

I do not grind my jerky meat just simply slice against grain about 3/16" thick.

Fink
01-15-2012, 11:21 AM

Here's the recipe I use for deer jerky:
1/2 jar of jalepeno slices
8oz louisiana hot sauce
12 oz any blush or red wine (Use any wine that you would normally drink. I just use a merlot or a cab)
4 oz soy sauce
2 tbsp garlic powder
2-4 tbsp of cayanne pepper (3 will make it pretty hot....)
Blend all the ingredients together until smooth, and then marinate your venison strips overnight. I like to make my strips about 3/16 thick, and anywhere from 3-8 inches long. This amount of marinade will do a fair amount of meat, I usually fill up a 2 gallon ziplock, as thats how much meat my smoker will hold.

I smoke mine at a roughly 225-275 for about 6 hours, until they are done (at this point the jerky is pretty good, and has a ton of flavor, but its not quite dry yet. After taking off the smoker, I put it in the oven at the lowest available temp, and leave the door cracked. I'll do this for about 1-2 hours, be careful here, as you can end up over drying out the meat.

The times and amounts of marinade/meat aren't ever the exact same, but it always ends up good. Try not to eat it all directly off the smoker!

marcusvdk
01-15-2012, 07:40 PM
one of my favorites is to take my venison steaks

Venison or any steak
BBQ
Italian Bread Crumbs

take a BBQ sauce of your choice and add a little garlic and little Chili powder (if you dont mind spice)
put the steak in the BBQ covering it well
Then roll the steak in the bread crumbs till covered

Spray a pan and place the steaks in the pan.
Have oven at 300 and cook to your temp.

Love this recipe one i made up my self well at college to give a little flare to my steak. The bread crumbs dont stick real well so be careful pulling it out the pan.

enjoy

sethkuhl
01-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Take your favorite jerky recipe and soak your meat in the brine for however long, if you like the heat, take your strips and dip them in Mango Habanero sauce from buffalo wild wings then put them in the smoker/ dehydrator. Did this with duck last week and it was incredible!

elkmtngear
01-16-2012, 12:12 PM
If you have a couple hours, this is an amazing recipe you can use for most big game: Elk Mountain Chops (http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain-chops-venison-in-rich-cream-sauce.html)

Best of Luck,
Jeff

jay
01-18-2012, 04:11 PM
For jerky i use the dehydrator most of the time and in the winter like to put it on screens to dry naturally. My 2 favorites for the dehydrator are lemon pepper and salsa. Get a jar of your favorite salsa and brush on meat and put to dry, its great. As far as cooking the meat, i'm pretty simple, i just add some teriyaki or soy sauce and it gives it a great flavor and simmers down any gamy taste it may have.