PDA

View Full Version : Rut Activity

RUTTIN
11-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Hows the rut activity where you live? I watched a buck today while at work, that had his nose so far up a doe, he didn't even know we were there. It's starting here in Utah. Can't wait to get out with my bow next weekend on the front!

Jon Boy
11-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Passed 2 forkys tonite with does, but the does werent having any of it. First snow hit where ive been hunting and it really had the deer moving. Still no big bucks to be found, hoping its only a matter of time im going broke huning everyday haha

MT Muley
11-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I just talked to a friend in Missoula, he saw a big forky with his nose in a doe. I was out this morning near Bozeman and there were definitely deer moving around, but I didn't see any rutting activity. It will only get better from here on out! I live for this time of year

Jon Boy
11-01-2011, 09:10 PM
It will only get better from here on out! I live for this time of year

id be saying the same as you MT muley if I would have shot an elk like you did during archery season lol Im trying to juggle both deer and elk hunting since I didnt fill any during archery but its not being too effective at the moment. Im debating on cutting my losses and focusing on deer only in hopes of getting a nice buck since ive had minimal success with those dam elk lol

Elkoholic307
11-07-2011, 07:46 AM
The young bucks have been chasing tail like crazy the last couple days. I'm getting antsy for the big boys to show up.

Jon Boy
11-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Went out last night and saw 6 bucks in the last hour of light, 3 of which were the nicest ones ive seen on this particular piece of block management since archery opened. Only one of them was really doggin some does tho, only a matter of time

Colorado Cowboy
11-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Yesterday morning about 6:30 there were about 25 deer feeding on my lawn and the edge of my hay field that was not cut. Most I've seen at once this fall. There was still a little snow on the ground from Saturday/Sunday storm. They really feed long & heavy after a storm. They seem to stay bedded down in cover during the storms and are really hungry after it passes. There were 5 small bucks (all forkies) with them. They were sparring with each other and nosing the does, who were having none of it yet. Look for a big boy or 2 to show up any day. There is a big apple orchard about 1/2 mile away with lots of deer there too. There was one 4x4 probably in the 160-70 range with them. He disappeared about a week ago....probably in someones freezer now!

My apple orchard got slammed during a late spring freeze and has no apples, so the deer there are few and far between. One more deer season to go, starts the 16th of November. Hard to draw a tag, as it's really in demand because of how late it is and usually during the start of the rut. Usually lots of the big boys show up and offer a great opportunity to pick & choose.

MT Muley
11-08-2011, 01:10 PM
I was out this morning, it was a lot warmer today then the previous few. Saw a couple different groups of does, but no bucks with them. I'm pretty disappointed in the amount of deer I am seeing in the area I am hunting. Need another cold snap soon!

Drelk
11-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I get to watch about sixty head of mule deer daily this time of year. Up until yesterday it was just the small 2x2 and 3x3 spindly horn bucks. But yesterday morning I had a mature Muley buck show up in one of my fields. I got a good look at him as we were eating breakfast. He is maybe 4 or 5 years old. He is definitely interested in the ladies but I guess you would say that he exhibits more poise. He isn't chasing hard. A lot of lip curling. He was here this morning and this evening. I will try and get a pic tomorrow. He reminds of the story of the young buck and the old buck having a conversation. The young buck says let's run down.... The old buck says no let's walk down and.... U no the rest of the story. But it was clearly evident in his behavior the story has some merit

toyhunter
11-09-2011, 07:39 PM
I live in the bitterroot valley of montana and yesterday was the first buck ive seen in a long time and it was only a 2x2 not really much in the activity department going on it seems like or maybe I just stink. Its been tough hunting this year I wont settle for tag soup that 2x2 will go down if nothing else comes up

Bitterroot Bulls
11-09-2011, 08:43 PM
I've seen the bucks right behind the does for the last couple days. Next week should be the prom for them.

MT Muley
11-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I've seen the bucks right behind the does for the last couple days. Next week should be the prom for them.

I hope you're right! I remember what was on my mind around senior prom.

Montana
11-10-2011, 05:40 AM

Now that could be a fun topic :) Ohh... Back in the day

Colorado Cowboy
11-10-2011, 07:26 AM

Damn...what took you so long.:D

Jon Boy
11-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Im seeing different bucks everyday now, still no bigguns.

Ikeepitcold
11-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Saw a 4x5 about a 160" pushin 3 or 4 does last weekend. But wasn't total dumb. He saw me watching him and kind of moved away. Although he didn't leave the does. My buddy has a PIW deer tag here in Nv so were holding out for a monster. Just need some more snow in the mts. But with the rut starting were headed out this weekend to see what's out there.

Jon Boy
11-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I got one tonight. Its a long story but in the end I busted a nice buck I was watching with 4 does and took a shot at him while he was running, nailed him and he ate dirt. Walked up to him only to see the buck i was after running off and a dead 3 point on the ground.

Colorado Cowboy
11-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Just got back from my morning walk, saw 40 to 50 deer. The bigger bucks have arrived and are chasing the does big time. Saw 3 pretty nice bucks, one was a 4x4 that would be in the 18o's...a definate shooter in my book.

Ikeepitcold
11-21-2011, 09:03 AM
The rut is on here in N.Nv. Been scouting for the Dec deer hunt and they are chasing the lady's. I don't think it's in full swing but it's getting close

MT Muley
11-21-2011, 10:43 AM
It seems to be going pretty good here in SW Montana. My roommate shot a decent little buck this morning, he said there were deer running around and chasing every where. I get to hunt tomorrow through the last day of the season! Can't wait

toyhunter
11-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Where you going mt muley i am hunting the rest of the season as well

MT Muley
11-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Where you going mt muley i am hunting the rest of the season as well

I have the 312-50 limited entry buck tag, so I will be hunting the Bridger Mountains.

Jon Boy
11-21-2011, 08:52 PM
That a good tag to have MT Muley. Have you seen many nice bucks yet?

Bitterroot Bulls
11-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Good luck MT Muley.

I bet a group of does will have one of those 312 bruisers hanging around this last week of the season.

MT Muley
11-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys. I am not to optimistic about my chances at a good buck as of right now. I seen 3 bruisers during archery season, but I haven't seen them since. I have passed a few small, 18-20" 3 and 4 points but I haven't seen anything worth shooting for awhile. I hiked 4 miles today and only saw 3 deer. It has been pretty pitiful. Hopefully I can find more deer to look at soon.

MT Muley
11-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Alright guys,
I figure I should update about my mule deer hunt. I hunted hard for 6 straight days. I think I ended up turning up 14 different bucks. 2 of which were takers.

I spotted one taker from about 500 yards. I made a play and was able to get within 100 yards. The problem was, when I came up on them, his head was behind a tree and I figured it was the buck based on his body size, but I wanted to be sure it wasn't one of his does before I took the shot. I got a solid rest and waited for him to move. Long story short, when he did move, he ran a doe around and it was indeed the buck that I had my cross hairs on. He stopped behind a tree, and the doe was looking right at me, and I figured I could move just enough to get a shot before she busted them out. I was wrong, the instant I moved, she wheezed and took the buck with her. He was a good buck, probably 28" wide, and 32" tall.. a taker in my book. I passed on a few different 4 points, only to see the big boys stop moving completely from Friday-Sunday. Oh well, you can't shoot big ones if you shoot an average one! Had a great time hunting and am already looking forward to next season. Congrats to everyone on there success!

Mitch

Jon Boy
11-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Sounds like you had a great season Mitch. Too bad you ate your tag but it sounds like you had fun