PDA

View Full Version : Archery elk during rifle mule deer

pjcdad
11-02-2011, 09:17 PM
How much do you guys think that rifle mule deer hunters affect the achery elk hunting? Would you worry about it much or not? I sure would like to try and hunt elk with my bow during the rut but not sure I want to be out there with the rifle mule deer hunters at the same time.

kcaves
11-02-2011, 10:35 PM
don't know where u hunt, but my area there is no rifle season open during september, but to answer your question, I don't think it would have a huge affect on elk hunting

dcestnik
11-03-2011, 08:36 PM
The upper part of WY region G has rifle seasons opening mid September and CO has all of those early rifle deer and muzzleloader seasons. I'm curious too what the impact is.

jenbickel
11-03-2011, 08:44 PM
I was archery elk hunting this year and it was sage grouse season and rifle bear season at the same time. It was HORRIBLE!! I could basically hear gun shots all around me all the time and it definitely messed with the elk where I was hunting. It is definitely do-able but you might want to plan on walking a little more than usual. I found that if I hiked my little butt back a few miles further off the road than what I normally do, then I did okay. But there was nothing more frustrating than getting in close to some elk, hearing a rifle or shotgun go off a few times by you and then watching the elk get all spooked.

wyo_backcountry
11-03-2011, 09:16 PM
The unit I hunt in has the overlap of deer season and archery elk. I hunt in region H & G and the hills definatley get busier when deer season opens. I've ran into and seen plenty of deer hunters when archery elk hunting. I think it makes archery hunting a little more difficult elk tend to hold up in the timber more when the hunting gets busier with shooting and more human traffic but thats to be expected. But I know where elk are going to be whether its 1st of Sept or the 1st of Oct, you just have to get to know an area and see where they hide out year after year.