PDA

View Full Version : OTC Elk in Idaho

Haisen
11-03-2011, 08:20 PM

These are pictures of elk I have seen consistently over the years and one of the pictures was taken at only 2 yards away. When I was young I took a nice 6 point with a rifle. However, I have ignored them and never bought an OTC archery tag. I was always convinced I would find a big buck in the area, but have had no success.

I plan on pursuing a big bull next year. I am confident I can take one down with my recurve, but I have always been concerned about packing it out in short enough time. It is at least an hour hike into the area. It is far too rocky to get an ATV or horse into their hidey holes to pack one out. It is quite warm in September. I figure that if I make great time, I could maybe get one out in 6 or 7 hours at the fastest. Should I be concerned about the meat spoiling?

These bulls are definitely not the biggest I have seen in the area, but these bulls of this size are in the area every year. What do you think they would score?

Elkfreak22
04-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Nice bull! 300-320 tough to see though. If you get the bull quartered up and hanging in the shade it will get a hard coating and protect the meat. They will last pretty well with a breeze and that coating even on a hot day. If the meat is inclosed it wont last long in the heat.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Bitterroot Bulls
04-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Use citric acid to treat and protect the meat.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/citric_acid.htm

Ikeepitcold
04-08-2013, 04:00 PM
I would say the 300 range but always very hard to tell by pics.

hoshour
04-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Nice article link, BB. So, what brand and concentration of citric acid do you use? Do you soak your game bags?

Old Hunter
04-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Yes, you should be concerned that time of year in that country, but it's doable if you're smart.

Bitterroot Bulls
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Nice article link, BB. So, what brand and concentration of citric acid do you use? Do you soak your game bags?

You use one ounce powder per quart water. I picked up food grade citric acid powder at the local natural foods store. You just spray it on the exterior of the meat until wet, let it dry, and then put dry game bags on it. Works like a charm. It kept my moose meat for over 12 days, unfrozen, in varying temps. Just follow Larry Bartlett's instructions. He is the master.

Old Hunter
04-08-2013, 09:48 PM
I checked one of the companies out in that link. They want $5.95 for 1oz of the powder, and $29 for shipping. Do we look that stupid?

Bitterroot Bulls
04-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I bought a pound of the stuff for like 9 bucks, OH. It is widely available.

tdub24
04-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the article BB, I'm pretty sure I will be looking into getting a small sprayer and citric acid next time I'm at the store. I never knew about the stuff until I saw the Keefer brothers use it in the Dropped: Project Alaska show. Been interested in the stuff ever since but didn't find any articles on it (didn't look too hard though). Thanks again sir!