PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming unit 100 Elk

cbirkholz
03-01-2011, 01:56 PM
I just drew this tag thinking I was actually going to get my second choice. Total shot in the dark, didn't even have any points. I do have a lot of questions. I know it is a huge area with tons of elk. Not giants, but 320-330 is a reality. Just wondering if anybody had any pointers or tidbits with this unit. Where to stay away from etc... I grew up in Wyoming but never hunted anywhere near this unit. Should be interesting. Would love to hear what you all have to say. Thanks.

Elkoholic307
03-02-2011, 07:27 AM
First of all, Wow! Congrats! You were extremely lucky. As for the area, I wish I had info to share but I haven't done much hunting in that part of the state. I have heard of guys just driving around, road hunting with elk running out in front of them. Those two words used in the same sentence as elk hunting still doesn't make sense to me. But, it seems like a pretty easy hunt. I wish I could direct you one way or the other; all I can say is make the most of it!

wyoming_man
03-03-2011, 10:16 PM
I have seen nice bulls in the south east corner of the unit around Flat top mountain. I have not seen elk, but seen sign around Poison Butte rd west of Baggs. I would love to go over and explore that country a little more so if you would like some company scouting give me a holler.

Jerry

SouthernWyo
03-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Poison Buttes and the Flat tops are not in elk unit 100. They're in 124.

wileywapiti
03-12-2011, 09:00 PM
yeah, 100 is the sand dunes area north of I80 from RS to wamsutter....great area.....good bulls but not easy hunting. NO timber, lots of deep canyons and open sagebrush. be ready to shoot long distances........lot of people road hunting. hunted it last year with a buddy, he shot a 320 class bull. we saw bigger on the first day but he was holding out for a 370-80 class bull, never did see one. did see several 350's shot. there are 370's out there, but good luck finding them, then getting a shot. try to find the areas where there are no hunters or low numbers.....you will see when you get out here most people congregate around steamboat mountain. big area, so you can get away from most hunters, but you will need some help finding the out of the way areas.

an atv would really help you cover country....just a little tip. give yourself as much time as you can, it is a very very large area and you will need as much time to cover it all and find the elk you want. you will find elk fairly easy, its the big one that could take time. good luck to you, pm if you would like to chat.

elktracker
03-14-2011, 12:06 PM
I've seen a lot of good bulls around Steamboat Mountain but I am sure that is where most people hunt. Up on top of Steamboat is the closest thing to any real timber in that area. I have seen a lot of elk on White Mountain as well. Ceder and Pine Canyons are good spots too find elk as well. Oregon Buttes might be worth checking out. I agree you will see a lot of elk out there but finding a big bull you can get a shot at will be tough. Good luck, and congrats on getting that tag with no points!

wileywapiti
03-19-2011, 12:47 PM
steamboat is where the elk like to be around, but come that opening day.......good luck! we actually saw the two biggest bulls in the desert between steamboat and farson, two really big boys (350's) but my buddy passed on them, dont know why....he had big bull fever. White Mountain can hold big bulls but i find that harder to hunt, i really do like to hunt around bridger coal company....most people dont go over there and if you can cover area...there are very big bulls over there, but they like to stay on the coal company non-huntable land. if you can watch them and IF they come off.....thats where ive seen the bigest and badest over the years. i also have a good buddy that works at bridger and he tells me when and where the bulls are located on the property, but that doesnt mean they will come off, just the area to "keep an eye" on if you know what i mean.

nylogger
03-19-2011, 04:53 PM
deer season will put a lot of hunters on steamboat. Not much cover in much of the area but elk will materialize out of nowhere. They seem to like the high ground and have seen them standing on their hind legs to gain a little more height. We have only antelope hunted that area but always saw a ton of elk. Like most of Wyoming , rain will make traveling on the many 2 tracks near impossible. I would think that being able to cover a lot of ground is key.

dallen0427
03-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Great info. I have been searching for guys with first hand knowledge of this unit since the drawings, with very little luck on other forums. Finally a forum with people giving out some tips. I drew this hunt with my dad (party permit) this year, we also figured we'd draw our number two pick, and still keep and gain a point. Huge surprise to see we drew our #1 pick. We're both pretty excited to do this hunt. My scouting will be pretty limited as I live in Alaska, so all information gathered is going to help out. One question I have, after searching the internet for pictures of the country is......is this a very "bowhuntable" area. Looks like antelpe country to me, which would make it pretty tough judging by the pictures. Would love to hear opinions from those that are familiar with the area. I think we've sort of resolved ourselves to the rifle season in October, but am still pondering......

nylogger
03-28-2011, 08:17 PM
I'll bet some elk decoys would work for bowhunting. One of those cow elk head hats might work also. We saw a lot of elk around the springs that come out of steamboat both N and S so setting up there with a ground blind might work. Was some drilling going on last time I was there. Don't know if this has picked up or slowed down. The BLM office is in RS they might have some info on the drilling.

wileywapiti
04-02-2011, 01:02 PM
it is bow huntable, but not like timber hunting. it is sagebrush and deep canyons, but dont let the sagebrush fool ya....its tall stuff in places. there are some canyons off the N-NE side of steamboat that i have stood on top of my atv seat to see over the sagebrush (im 6'1" tall). if you get over on the SE side of the area (around bridger coal mine) there are some places with juniper draws that you can bow hunt as well. Just keep in mind....90% of the area is short sagebrush country, so try to find the out of the place canyons and water holes. my buddy and i bow hunted it last year....he was unsuccessful, but not because we didnt get into bulls. Just no good shots at the bulls he was lookin for. he got a good bull during the rifle season, and remember, in wyoming you can hunt both archery and rifle seasons. so if you hunt both dont limit yourself to just one. they are one right after the other.......hunt the last week of archery then the first of rifle if you want to give yourself the best opportunity for a bull. good luck

dallen0427
04-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks a lot for the information. Sure appreciate the help. I'm really looking forward to getting down into that country searching for elk.

An add on question.......It looks like the weather during bow season and possibly even during the rifle season can be pretty warm. I'll be flying to WA, then driving with my dad over to WY for the hunt. What do you guys do with the meat for hunts that may last a few days / week? I'm assuming it may be too warm to hang. Is there a place near 100 where a guy can take the meat to hang in a cooler? Being too warm is not ususally something I really have to worry about up in my neck of the woods.

nylogger
04-06-2011, 04:55 PM
We have had good luck with the meat processor in Green River. I don't remember the name of the outfit .I think that a stop to the sporting goods store in GR would point you in the right direction. If you are coming in from the north then maybe a stop in Pinedale might be in order.

wileywapiti
04-07-2011, 04:09 PM
there are two in green river...R & B meats and Hendersons and one in Rock Springs...the butcher shop. All have been good to me, cant say one is better or one is worse. Rock Springs will be closer to your hunt area thats for sure.

the weather will be anywhere from the 80's to the 40's depending on....well the weather. the earlier you hunt the better chance it will be in the 80's, the later you hunt....you just never know. could be 80's one day and snowing the next.

if you have any other questions, just pm me and i will help as much as i can. lived in the area for 38 years and pretty much live out in the country all year round.

dallen0427
04-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks again for the information.

SmilingMustache
09-01-2011, 08:28 PM
My wife and I drew Elk 100-1 tags also this year with maximum points. We have previously hunted the Casper area several times, but this is our first hunt for Elk in Wyoming (it will be my wife's first elk hunt). We like to meet the local ranchers in person and wonder if anyone has contacts for ranch owners in Elk Unit 100? It's a great way to learn about local culture and to meet some really nice people. So if anyone has suggestions, please advise. Looking forward to October 15th! Also, if you have a recommended place for camping that would be helpful also.

Colorado Cowboy
09-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Been trying for years to draw a NR tag for 100 with no luck. Have had the max Pref pts every year too. You are really lucky. Finally gave up this year and am going on a wilderness hunt to Thorofare, so no points now for elk. I'll be 70 next month, so I'll probably never get to hunt elk there. Been all over this country and saw lots of elk...so enjoy.

dcestnik
09-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Even with maxed out points, as a non-resident its extremely low draw. I just wish to be able to buy WY general licenses OTC again.

Zim
09-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Ya we applied there this year also without luck. The odds really swing back and forth in that unit. Should be less apply there next year.

Colorado Cowboy
09-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Ya we applied there this year also without luck. The odds really swing back and forth in that unit. Should be less apply there next year.

I wouldn't bet on it. The only ones for sure are the 12 or 15 NR's that got tags this year and have no PPts left.

wyohorn
09-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I grew up hunting in area 100. I agree that it is bow huntable. The sage brush is so high and deep makes for great stalking. I once was shed hunting out there and kicked a bull out of his bed and the sage was so tall all I could see was the tops of his horns ha. Now here is what I have learned and seen for the past twenty years. The quanity of bulls are there. Ya there might be a 350 bull out there but not like it use to be. Now seeing a handful of 280-320 bulls ya I can see that. The other thing is with the elk main diet being the grasses and sage the dunes have to offer make there horns brittle. So when they go to rub the velvet off on a huge piece of grease wood the break points. This unit is fun and has a lot of elk but my opinion is they need to drop the quota on bull tags and we will start seeing those big bulls I remember seeing when I was in high school.

DCropin
09-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Most of this area is checkerboard land, you might want to pick up a land stattus map, they are available at the BLM office in Rock Springs. This area is not populated with aoccupied ranches with the exception of the Farson area and some allong the Sweetwater River. There are some nice camping spots around Boars Tusks and the Sand Dunes or or in the northern part of the area, this is dessert camping and travel can be very tough in bad weather, the roads will turn to slime. I have seen one bull in this area that would go 370 and several in the 350 class. The last time I hunted this area my dad turned down 45 bulls from the truck in one day. You will see allot of elk, be patient and look were you least expect to see them. pm me if you need any info.

MRmich
12-28-2011, 10:22 AM
BTW if you draw a 100-6 cow tag be aware that it only includes a small part of 100 in the NE section. It took me 2 days to find where we were supposed to hunt and by the time we got on elk it was time to go. No joy 2 empty tags . We enjoyed the hunt , getting within shooting range quite a challenge.