PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota?

MN Hunter
11-26-2011, 05:35 PM
As you can tell from my name, I live in Minnesota. I am trying to figure out an antelope hunt for myself and was wondering what everyone thinks of antelope hunting in northwestern South Dakota? (I am looking at South Dakota because it is the closest drive for me) I would most likely be hunting with a bow too.

pjcdad
11-27-2011, 08:13 PM
We have had two terrible winters in a row and the numbers are way down. Especially hard hit was the Northwestern part of the state. The Southwest has some left but not great numbers by any stretch. I am not trying to bring you down but am giving an honest answer and want you to know what to expect. Just google South Dakota antelope and see what other forums have to say. Do yourself a favor and travel a few extra hours into Wyoming or hope we have a couple good winters and springs to get the numbers back up and wait till then. The GF&P dropped the number of tags by quite a bit last year but should have done so the prior year and took a lot of heat for not doing that.

Doe Nob
11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
PCJ is right on. I bow hunted them in the NW part of the state 6 years ago and there were plenty of goats, but the harsh winters have kept me away. I am debating going this fall, but will probably wait till 2013 at least, we cancelled our hunt this year.

North Dakota is a good one to watch as a barometer for how the antelope are doing in that part of the world, they are not afraid to not issue tags if the herds are hurting. This year they didn't issue any, that tells me what I need to know.

SDBirdman
12-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Head west. Hunted hard last year and saw very few antelope in SD. Bucks weren't all that good. The far NW still seems to have okay numbers, but overall the numbers are WAAAAAYYYYY down in SD. As suggested above. Cross the border into WY and you will be much better off!!

Ikeepitcold
12-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Wy is the place to go for Pronghorn. Lots of good quality and lots of tags.

jenbickel
12-05-2011, 06:13 PM
There definitely are A LOT of good antelope and antelope numbers in Wyoming. We have had a few bad winters though and the antelope numbers have come way down compaired to what they used to be. I noticed this year that they seem to be back up a little bit though so as long as we keep a decent winter, I would recommend coming to Wyoming also! :) Good luck!!

NDHunter
12-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Wyoming seems like the place to go. Went there for the first time this year in a 2nd choice unit and saw 40 bucks on the first day.

gman1
12-06-2011, 08:16 PM
The only State to hunt speed goats IMO ( especially after all the tough winters to the north) is Wyoming. A lot of numbers and land to hunt them on. They have left ND and fewer critters stayed in SD also.

dhaffner
12-07-2011, 11:04 PM
I live in SD and with my preference would have been 100% draw on any unit in SD for bow and rifle (2 tags). I didn't buy either and went to Wyoming. I'll use my P.P. when out herd makes it worth the time away from other, better hunts.

PLP
07-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Non residents can hang it up for SD!!!!You wont be rifle hunting there this year no matter how many points you have!!Residents only in the 1st and 2nd draw...3rd draw is for non residents,and there wont be any tags leftover!SD says the population is too low...so they are shutting out non-residents on a year to year basis!But they are still allowing the taking of DOES!?!?!?!?!?

schoff
07-21-2012, 07:55 PM
I have not understood the doe tags for antelope in SD the last 2 years with the low numbers, I was at a ranch that normally holds a few hunderd antelope and saw maybe 50-75 during deer season.

They are doing the same with elk the numbers are terrible, calf mortality is high, and we still have cow tags.....I just dont get it?

sdcowboy
07-21-2012, 08:37 PM
i am a landowner in sd, the last 3 years there hasn't been an antelope killed on my place. We generally have a 100 or so goats running around now we are lucky to see 5 to 10. Game and fish doesn't listen to the landowners on how many there is and is only interested in selling tags!!!!!!not on the numbers. What has happened to the antelope, and elk is now happening to our deer population.

PLP
07-21-2012, 09:03 PM
i am a landowner in sd, the last 3 years there hasn't been an antelope killed on my place. We generally have a 100 or so goats running around now we are lucky to see 5 to 10. Game and fish doesn't listen to the landowners on how many there is and is only interested in selling tags!!!!!!not on the numbers. What has happened to the antelope, and elk is now happening to our deer population.

if no one is shooting your antelope what is happening to them?Blue toungue?Winter Kill?Predators?Human interference(roads,energy,fences,construction)?

sdcowboy
07-21-2012, 11:47 PM
We had 3 sever winters with 3 to 4 feet of snow on the level. if that wasnt hard enough on them the cats and coyotes are. The cat problem that the state is having isnt only in the black hills. the arent as many cats on the plains as in the hills but with the population growing they have to go some where. Game and Fish have cut tags back, but way to late as usual. in some places there was more tags issued then there were antelope in that county. Not much chance for a come back when that happens.

PLP
07-22-2012, 11:10 AM
you are right..mulies,and antelope a real impressionable..I guess it is tricky....you want to restrict harvest to a certain point so you have enough animals incase you get a bad winter kill...but if you get too many and dont have a winter kill..they can get disease...and if they get a disease then get hit by a winter kill..which is apparently what has happened since 2009,you get low numbers..and when guys dont take it upon themselves to hold off on does when numbers get low,and predators start working on them..well you get the idea.

Same thing goes for turkeys back home.We never got winter kill,but the predators are not controlled at all.You need every hen possible to nest.80% of the hens didnt succeed..mostly due to predators..Then you got guys who want to shoot hens(not legal where I am from)because they cant kill toms with hens as competetion..they dont realize if they take the hens out they are killing off the tukreys completely in the areas where they are already struggling to survive.