PDA

View Full Version : Broadheads

Sharpstick
03-01-2011, 03:25 PM
There are so many great broad heads on the market today and really it's a personal choice, but you definitely need two things to make them ethical: Razor Sharp & Durable. I used the G5 Striker last year and was very impressed. What does everyone else on the forum use?

Whitetail101
03-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Light skinned big game(whitetail, antelope) = 100 grain Rage 3 Blade
Heavy skinned big game(bear, elk) = 125 grain Rage 2 Blade
Turkey = 125 grain Rage 2 Blade

Morrison4375
03-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Switched to Slick Trick 100 gr Standards last yr they fly like darts clear out 70 yds no kills yet but I have not heard hardly anything negative about the whole slick trick line

Stringmusic
03-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Three blade Meat Seakers for elk, deer, bear, antelope, and turkey.

Shoot what you like. Just hit them in the right spot.

Matt Palmquist
03-01-2011, 09:21 PM
I used the VPA terminators this past season. I had good luck with them. They are aone piece fixed blade head that are tough as hell since they are machined out of a solid piece of steel. It is nice to be able to pratice with the same head/arrow combo that you are going to be hunting with. After you are dialed in it is pretty simple to sharpen up the head and stick it back in the quiver.

RUTTIN
03-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Sharpstick, nice to see you made it to the forum. I tried a G5 Montec last year and didn't like the sharpness of them ( I just could not get them as sharp as I would have liked) I am going back to my Magnus stingers, great penetration and I can sharpen them up nice.

Joetech
03-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Shuttle T...they shoot great out of my bow and we have taken everything from wild pigs to elk with no problems and great blood trails.

NW Hunter
03-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Was thinking about going to the Shuttle T....Heard they pass the spin test well, sharp, Fly like a field tip with low side wind resistance.

gon4elk
03-02-2011, 06:43 PM
G5 Montec for me. Love em.

BOHNTR
03-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Wac'em here.....

anglinarcher
03-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Switched to Magnus Stingers a few years ago. Sharp and shoot straight. Makes elk fall down.

elkslayer4x5
03-04-2011, 02:20 PM
3 blade Muzzys 100 gn, 447 total arrow weight, 63#'s 292fps 85 ke. :D

BEETLEGUY
03-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Over the last 5 years I've killed bear and deer with slick mag's 100g and Rage 2 blade 100g .This year I'm going with slick mags 125g. Money is tight but if it wasn't I would have both ;)

sjsmallfield
03-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Over the last three years I have shot G5 Montecs 100g and Rage 2 blade 100g. Both work well but I would have to go with the Rage as my #1 choice.

Gamehog
03-07-2011, 07:51 AM
It's the Muzzy MX-3 for me. I love an easy to follow blood trail. Plus Muzzy has been in the game a long time.

elkmtngear
03-07-2011, 09:06 AM
I put a lot of elk and deer down with the old Bear 2 blade heads, recently switched to Wac em's, then Montec G5s. Thinking about going back to a fixed 2 blade for better penetration.

Best of Luck,
Jeff

miller1
03-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Wac'ems for me, the best flying head i have found.

pat_estvold
03-08-2011, 09:47 PM
The best bang for your buck is the Magnus stinger 4 blade fixed, and it is a cut on contact and you can tune them if you need to

wolftalonID
03-10-2011, 11:30 AM
The first year I hunted with Wac'em 100 grain. However they are sharp and accurate, the blades are thin, brittle, and break on bone. Makes for dangerous clean up time.
I now shoot the Maniac 100 grain blades. The main blade is very unique, and huge. The maniacs I shoot are not the cheep ones from china found on Ebay , but the ones by aftershockarchery.com. In my state, fixed blade is all you can use.

schlaggerman
03-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I use VPA Terminators in 150gr. This is a three blade one piece head. Exceptionally well made and tough. I've also used Magnus four blade heads for a lot of years, also an excellent head.

zachbow
03-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I shot shuttle T's last year and loved them. I have also shot Montec's and Magnus 2 blades they were both great heads as well.

jhpam3117
03-12-2011, 11:39 AM
I use the slick trick 100gr. so far no complaints.

JeffJung
03-14-2011, 09:29 AM
I am very impressed with Magnus Stinger 4blade 100gr. Cut on contact design is a must for me. Amazed with field point accuracy at 327fps and penetration on elk has been perfect. Great blood trails. Sharp out of the box and very easy to resharpen and get crazy sharp.

huntnrich
03-16-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm hoping my 11 non-resident points in Wyoming gets me a Moose tag this year. I've been trying to decide which broadhead to trust. I used to be a Thunderhead 100 fan. Then all these new ones hit the market. So I tried g5 montec's about 5 or 6 years ago, they may have changed now but then you needed to sharpen them right out of the package. I lost a monster elk in Wyoming that year, great hit poor penatration, then a 24 hour thunder storm came in and I'm still in therapy losing that one.
So then I bought the Rage. I like how they fly, but I'm concern, I've had the blades open up in the quiver. I've never shot anything with the Rage yet, but I don't think I want my first animal with them to be a big Moose. I've thought about going back to the Thunderheads, but you never hear anything about them anymore. So any great advise would be awesome.

Rich

mthuntress
03-16-2011, 10:12 AM
G5 montec 100 grain!!

cordini
03-17-2011, 05:28 PM
I've been using Magnus Buzzcuts for the past 4 years, but I am planning on switching to Silver Flames this year. The "Original" Silver Flames are going back into production in Germany again and should be available in mid-April.....Confirmed this with Markus. He has transferred the ownership of German-Kinetics to a friend , but he will be consulting on the designs.....Just as good as him making them!!

Joe Hulburt
03-26-2011, 09:53 PM
I've shot Thunderhead 100's for years and killed a bunch of elk and deer with them with never had a complaint. For some reason a couple years ago I decided I needed to try something new so I broke out the wallet and bought some Shuttle T's. They fly great but the animals I have shot with them (Roosevelt Elk, Mule Deer and Black Bear) all bled much less than with my old standby's. I have no idea why or if it was just a few fluke deals but I am going back the Thunderheads that never let me down. I have two elk vertebra with Thunderhead 100's stuck in them (both from follow up shots) that show how tough they are! If I get ambitious I will post a picture or two of those...

Howahunter
03-29-2011, 08:53 PM
I shoot NAP Thunderhead 125's. Have killed a few animals with them and they do the trick plus you can get six for $40. Will probably never switch to anything else. My wife shoots the NAP crossfire 100-seems to be a decent head as well at least on deer just a bit noisy is our only complaint.

MI-address-ROCKYMTN-heart
03-29-2011, 10:04 PM
"huntnrich - So I tried g5 montec's about 5 or 6 years ago, they may have changed now but then you needed to sharpen them right out of the package. I lost a monster elk in Wyoming that year, great hit poor penatration...So then I bought the Rage. I like how they fly, but I'm concern, I've had the blades open up in the quiver. I've never shot anything with the Rage yet, but I don't think I want my first animal with them to be a big Moose."

My experience is shooting Whitetails so I don't know if my opinion matters here (be nice). I shot Montec G5s and LOVED them. They had a great penetration holes as well as exit holes. You do have to sharpen them, but you do that on a flat stone because of the cutting angles. They're easy to maintain. I switched to 2 Blade Rages two years ago and LOVE them even more. They'll leave a 2" slice at entry, exit and everything in between. They fly like field points. I've never adjusted a sight after sighting a bow in with field points. I've got to believe all mechanical broadheads are at risk of being open after removing them from a quiver. The Rages are well worth the hassle in my opinion.

So I'm wondering, with thicker tough hided animals like Moose, does it matter how tough the hide is if the broadheads are razor sharp? Penetration is determined by kinetic energy which is determined by speed and weight of the projectile? By changing broadhead designs, you're not altering the kinetic energy unless you change grains. In comparing razor sharp blades to dull blades, the same amount of energy will push an arrow further through the resistive hide with a sharp blade all the while cutting veins in the process instead of pushing them out of the way. Hopefully that relates to an exit hole to allow more blood to spill out in order to facilitate an easier tracking job and a more likely recovery. My thoughts go to shooting accurately, consistently and using razor sharp blades.

elktracker
03-29-2011, 10:30 PM
I switched from Rage 2 blades to G5 Striker 100s last year after a friend had a Rage fail on a nice 6 pt bull. I haven't shot anything with them yet but I know they are tough, I put one through a fence picket after it glanced off the top of my target and it was fine, just needed touched up a little. But even after going through a fence it was still a lot sharper than Rages are out of the package. I like the design of the Montecs but I went with the Striker because they are so sharp from the factory and I can just replace blades if I need to.

mathewshooter
03-29-2011, 10:43 PM
slick tricks for me. I have used the 100 grain standards and the 125 mags. Both are the best I have used and I have tried a lot of different ones over the years.

wolftalonID
03-30-2011, 11:30 AM
...Penetration is determined by kinetic energy which is determined by speed and weight of the projectile? ...

There is a lot of mis information about this. Arrows are NOT bullets, and flight characteristics of arrows are so different than bullets its not even funny. If arrows relied on kinetic energy like a bullet does, then 50 lb draw weight bows would not have pass through shots, and 80lb draw bows would blow holes out the back side of the targets.
In reality, arrows dont rely on kinetic energy but on cutting power. The same arrow shot at a deer with field tips that sticks half way through will blow right on through and do more damage with a sharp quality broadhead.
There was a very very well written article some time back, i believe it was in an Eastmans EBJ, but could have been in a different bow magazine that went into all the scientific parts that explained it better. However I did retain the part about the misnomers of bullets and arrows having the same flight and impact characteristics and that many instructors teach that and are wrong.

Ok here is an edit, I dug around in my magazine basket till I found it. EBJ 57, article is called "Bowhuntings Biggest Lie" By Darin Cooper.
Great education for those who would take the time to read it.

shed
03-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Magnus stinger and buzzcuts.

MI-address-ROCKYMTN-heart
03-30-2011, 02:29 PM
arrows dont rely on kinetic energy but on cutting power.

Ok here is an edit, I dug around in my magazine basket till I found it. EBJ 57, article is called "Bowhuntings Biggest Lie" By Darin Cooper.
Great education for those who would take the time to read it.

Cutting power is probably a good term to use for archery. Kinetic energy is the amount of energy available at impact. The effectiveness of the impact is then based on the resistance of the target and projectile. Razor sharp broadheads will have less resistance than dull heads which will allow deeper penetration or hopefully a pass through which will maximize the damage. I think we're on the same page, but I would like to read the article. I don't have that issue. Can you scan it and email it to me?

wolftalonID
03-30-2011, 10:14 PM
I would, however I dont have that fancy of equipment at my place. I checked online and its only the hunt stories they have archived. Contact Eastmans and see if they could email you the article, Im sure they have it digitized at their office. Sorry.

RUTTIN
03-31-2011, 07:37 AM
So then I bought the Rage. I like how they fly, but I'm concern, I've had the blades open up in the quiver. I've never shot anything with the Rage yet, but I don't think I want my first animal with them to be a big Moose. I've thought about going back to the Thunderheads, but you never hear anything about them anymore. So any great advise would be awesome.

Rich

Rich I shot the Rage 2 blade when they became all the rage. The first year I shot a small 6 point bull at 40yds he was quartering toward me slightly ran the arrow all the way in him. The Rage left a huge hole in him, but I didn't have much blood, bull didn't go far though. Next year shot a nice 6 point quartering away at 15yds, hit a rib and my arrow just sliced him 8 inches along his side and glanced off. That same year shot at a mule deer broadside at 40 yds. Hit him behind the shoulder but must have caught a rib, because my arrow was sticking straight up and down in him when he ran off. Tracked him for about 2 miles in the snow with hardly any blood. Vowed I would never shoot them again. Went back to my 2 blade Magnus Stingers with bleeder blade.

twp1224
03-31-2011, 09:09 AM
G5 Montec's 100 grain.

MT.MAN
04-07-2011, 01:56 PM
I too made the switch to the VPA Terminators and don't see myself shooting anything else for years to come. Nothing tougher than a solid one piece steel head. No welds to crack, easy to sharpen and CNC machined out of 1 piece of steel.

cjidland
04-18-2011, 06:23 PM
i've been using magnus stingers and now im gonna also try wasp boss

hoytnut
04-21-2011, 11:30 AM
I have used WASP Boss Bullets for years with great success.

CrimsonArrow
04-21-2011, 04:33 PM
I use NAP Scorpion XP heads, and have killed a lot of critters with them. They are tough, and reliable. I have had sharpness issues with them, sometimes being dull as a butter knife right out of the box, but if they are, I just sharpen them. The Montec is an awesome head, but I have been unable to re-sharpen them, even with the official Montec diamond stone. Can't help but notice an absence of Muzzy users here, and considering my experiences with the way they fly, I'm not surprised.

Midwest to Outwest
04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I've used the G5 Montec 100gr. for 5-6 years and have never had an arrow stop at a deer. Always stuck in something beyond the other side. I had a really jumpy whitetail doe jump the string on me once and spined her. It destroyed her backbone(looked like a bullet had hit it) and buried in the ground on the other side. Ran it on a stone and used it again. You'll never get them super razor sharp but I've never seen anything short of a tree stop them either. PLUS they always fly as true as my fieldpoints which makes me happy and confident.

llp
04-22-2011, 10:51 AM
I used the G5 Montec on two elk last year. Both were complete pass thoughs with dead elk in less than 25 yards. I've also had very good success with Muzzy 100 grain 4 blades. Both shoot as close to field points as any broadhead I have ever seen.
llp