PDA

View Full Version : Bull or a cow moose?!?

birdhunter
12-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I am a resident here in Wyoming and knowing how long it takes to draw a bull tag, I was wondering if it would be worth it to just put in for a cow tag. I have 4 pts and am 32 yrs old. It may take till I am 70 before I draw a bull tag. I would love a bull but would also have a blast hunting a cow as well. I am a meat hunter so it really wouldnt bother me to hunt a cow. What are some of your thoughts and input on this. It is just getting too difficult to draw a bull tag in this state.

floorya
12-03-2011, 03:52 PM
if you dont care about antlers then go for a cow tag and have a good hunt. and help the rest of us out with one less person in the bull draw.;)

Stig87
12-03-2011, 07:29 PM
If you are strictly a meat hunter, I don't understand why you would hold out for a bull tag. Without pulling up drawing odds, I think you could realistically pull a cow tag every four years. So I would take the a cow tag and run.

Ikeepitcold
12-03-2011, 08:33 PM
I would go for the cow also if your a meat hunter. For the same reason as the others.

birdhunter
12-04-2011, 12:22 AM
I am a wyo resident floorya so I wouldn't mess up your draw odds. Stig, it would be at least a 7 year wait minimum(more like 9 now) with the five year wait after a person draws a tag. I hunt for meat but it would be very fun to hunt a bull moose. I just think I might be too old when I am able to draw to chase them around. it's a tough decision. I have at least 2 to3 more years to draw a cow in the area I want so I will look at draw odds when I feel I have a chance at a cow.

floorya
12-04-2011, 11:24 AM
I am a wyo resident floorya so I wouldn't mess up your draw odds. Stig, it would be at least a 7 year wait minimum(more like 9 now) with the five year wait after a person draws a tag. I hunt for meat but it would be very fun to hunt a bull moose. I just think I might be too old when I am able to draw to chase them around. it's a tough decision. I have at least 2 to3 more years to draw a cow in the area I want so I will look at draw odds when I feel I have a chance at a cow.

i hear ya.but i wasn't trying to be a jerk ,just funny.but that never works out for me.
i had a chance to hunt moose 2 years ago in newfoundland. its a blast just to be around them.good luck with the draw bull or cow.

birdhunter
12-04-2011, 01:32 PM
I didnt take ya as being a jerk. Its a tough decision, the wolves have impacted the moose so bad in wyo that the hunt areas are pretty slim to nothing. I live in NE wyo and people are spotting wolves more and more here. So its just a matter of time til they are all over. Hopefully we can shoot them in a few months.

jenbickel
12-05-2011, 05:09 PM
I agree, if you are just after the meat, I would just put in for a cow. You have better odds getting a cow while you are out hunting and you will draw sooner than if you kept putting in for a bull. Just my thoughts :) I love the meat but I definitely want me a big ol' rack on the wall..and I'm only 23 so I figure I will keep putting in for a bull!

Stig87
12-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Forgot about the 5 year wait after drawing a tag.

wyoming_man
12-10-2011, 08:15 PM
I am in a similar situation. I have 8 points myself and could draw a cow tag in about any unit out there. I did take a nice bull in '99 so I have atleast had that oppurtunity. Good point about the wolves and something that may weigh on your decision. If the wolves continue to have downward pressure on the moose then the cow tags will become fewer and farther between. What used to take 9 years may now become 15 years. Keep this in mind, in 2001 the Wyoming G&F issued 1,396 moose tages. By 2005 that had dropped to 786 and for 2010 they issued 558. Its getting harder and harder to get a tag. You know the old saying one in the hand is better then two in the bush. With the points you have now you could draw a cow in 10, 21, and 44.

wyoming_man
12-23-2011, 08:35 AM
The application booklette is out and they have really cut back on the cow tags. Makes the decision even more difficult.

kcaves
12-24-2011, 11:38 AM
I agree, if you are just after the meat, I would just put in for a cow. You have better odds getting a cow while you are out hunting and you will draw sooner than if you kept putting in for a bull. Just my thoughts :) I love the meat but I definitely want me a big ol' rack on the wall..and I'm only 23 so I figure I will keep putting in for a bull!
I agree if u just want meat, that is the way to go, but i'm with jen, i'm only 23 as well and have been putting in since I was 12 and still haven't drawn

Umpqua Hunter
12-31-2011, 06:51 PM
If you'd be happy with a cow, go for it.

But if you think you'd like a bull, as a Wyoming resident you can put in a bunch of meat in the freezer with doe antelope, doe mule deer and cow elk tags but you may only get one chance at a bull moose. Also if you put in every year you will have about a 2.5% chance to draw a bull moose tag (depending on the unit) each year. You have a good 30+ years of hunting left in you and if the annual draw odds hold up you will have a 75% chance at drawing a tag in the random draw in 30 years. Hopefully as states are given more control to regulating the wolves, the game populations will rebound. The key is being consistent and applying every year.