PDA

View Full Version : question for gun huntin elk hunters

trophyhill
12-06-2011, 07:12 PM
would you consider a 140gr Winchester Supreme Ballistic SilverTip in 7mm rem mag a good round for elk? the ballistics charts i've seen tell me that this is a great bullet. what do you all think?

Montana
12-06-2011, 07:57 PM
My vote is no. Partition or Triple Shock. Something that holds together a lot better. At 300 yards, if you hit the front shoulder you might not ever find that elk. But I guess that leads to even a better question, what are your hunting conditions? If you are in the timber, bugling in bulls and your shot distance is 100 yds or under and you can guarantee shot placement, then you might be ok. But in general, it seems a bit light and really the wrong type of bullet.

trophyhill
12-06-2011, 08:04 PM
thanks Montana, i've used them on many a mulie out to and a little beyond 300 yards with great success and wanted some opinions for elk. i have a cow elk rifle hunt coming up in a few weeks. i've been told to be ready to shoot at longer distances. terrain will be foothills as elk have moved down in elevation due to snow. i guess the same would hold true for the Hornady SST bullets in your opinion?

ssliger
12-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I shoot the 160 grain accubond out of my 7mm wsm. Dropped a raghorn bull with one shot at 300 yards.

dhershberger
12-06-2011, 08:15 PM
The main thing about rifle hunting elk is shot placement. The bullet type or grain is less important than if you put one through the lungs! I think the 140 gr. winchester will do great as long as you put it through one of the vitals!

trophyhill
12-06-2011, 08:16 PM
i have some accubonds too that i killed my last rifle mulie with several years ago.

Bitterroot Bulls
12-06-2011, 08:16 PM
I would also look at the "harder" bullets like accubonds, x-bullets, and partitions. 140 grains in a hard bullet will work fine for elk, but 160 grains will penetrate further.

For those softer bullets like the ballistic tip you reference, it would actually hold together better and penetrate further at a lower impact velocity, so it might not penetrate at 100 yards and in, but would penetrate better at extended ranges like 300+ yards. Accubonds expand quickly, but also hold together well, so they are good for impact veloicities from way out there (1800 fps) to right in front of you (3100 fps+).

Barnes also expand quickly, and they hold together even better than accubonds. I have shot bulls with accubonds and x-bullets and both have worked as advertised.

dcestnik
12-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Shoulder bladed a deer with ballistics and it blew the hell ouf of it but never made it to the vitals. Since then accubonds have done well and all recovered bullets mushroomed nicely. When I used to supremes didnt have to touch the scope to go between ballistics and ABs. Did have to start reloading since shooting winchester supremes are way too expensive.

floorya
12-06-2011, 09:22 PM
2133as stated above, you cant go wrong with accubonds.i dropped this 5x6 bull at 317yds with them.

Booner
12-06-2011, 09:36 PM
If I ever go elk hunting I'm going to use a partition or accubond. Actually think I'm going to switch from ballistic tips to accubonds for deer next year.

Ikeepitcold
12-06-2011, 09:46 PM
I use 160 accu bond 7mm wsm. I think 140 is to small for elk. I killed an elk at 420 yards with pass thru in the lungs hitting ribs. 200 yards with 140 or less I think will do the job but minimum IMO is 160.

MSUcat61
12-07-2011, 12:38 AM
140s should be fine but to reiterate what Bitterroot Bulls said, use high integrity bullets like Barnes, Accubond, Partition, etc. I've killed many bulls with .270 130 grain Core Lokts, just to give some perspective. So as long as you're putting those bullets in the right spot, you should be fine.

trophyhill
12-07-2011, 07:33 AM
140s should be fine but to reiterate what Bitterroot Bulls said, use high integrity bullets like Barnes, Accubond, Partition, etc. I've killed many bulls with .270 130 grain Core Lokts, just to give some perspective. So as long as you're putting those bullets in the right spot, you should be fine.

ideally i put that shot right in the center of the ">" located directly above the center of the front leg about 1/3 up.

T43
12-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Another vote for the 160 Accubonds. I also shoot a 7mm WSM, no problem knocking elk down at extended yardage.

MOHunter
12-07-2011, 06:48 PM
I think just about any bullet will work with good shot placement. The question is will it work with poor shot placement. Nobody wants to make a bad shot, but they're a fact of life. I would want something bigger than a ballistic tip type of bullet. Others are correct, the worst penetration will be at the shortest ranges. I shoot a 7 mag and use the 160g. Accubonds.

buckykm1
12-08-2011, 06:16 AM
For Elk you really want a good bonded bullet, there are a bunch of them to choose from. I use the Hornady SST 180 grain in my 300 win mag.

Kevin

trophyhill
12-24-2011, 05:17 AM
ok so i went out yesterday morning on a late season rifle cow elk hunt. after your input and a little research i decided to go with the WS Accubonds in 140 gr. after seeing the entry hole and finding the bullet under the off side hide i will tell you that i will not hesitate to use this bullet on any North American big game in the future if i decide to rifle hunt ever again. the bullet shows no signs of coming apart. she did not go far. the shot was approximately 300 yards. thanks for the feedback everyone.

sidenote: i haven't rifle hunted since '07. i started bow hunting in '08 and this rifle hunt made me realize that i am a bowhunter thru and thru.

brandenbowhunter
12-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I like the above post...I call my rifle my get even stick...bowhunting is my passion!

Old Hunter
12-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Another vote for the Accubond. It's a great bullet. It took a lot for me to switch from the Partition, but the AB did it. I use the 140gr in a .270. Plenty for elk with proper shot placement.

Back in the 50-60's I used to kill elk with a 30-30, so it doesn't take as much as you think if you hit them where it hurts.

btw..First post here. Hi guys.

HuntWYODon
12-29-2011, 03:26 PM
I've been using Barnes Triple Shoks for years and for last couple yrs. the Tipped Triple Shoks since the came out. I've shot plenty of elk,deer and antelope with them and to me, they are deadly. They are the most accurate bullet out of my 300 Ultra Mag and 7mm Rem Mag. I'd tell you the size groups I get with 100.0 grs. of Hogdon's Retumo and 180 gr. Triple Shok of either variety ,but you would think I was fibbing. The Accubonds are the 2nd most accurate bullet with the same load. I've only shot one antelope with it though. I'm sure the Accubond as well as a lot of different bullets will kill elk just as dead but for smashing bone or going through both side of animal including elk, I guarantee no other bullet will do it better than a TSX or TTSX. And no, I don't work for Barnes.

brandenbowhunter
12-29-2011, 06:31 PM
I use the 180gr Sirrocco out of my 300 ultra...more than enough...and my wife shoot her deer with it...:)

indianw
01-01-2012, 10:44 PM
I use 160 partition in my 7mm
this year dropped my bull one shot in his tracks with my 270 150grain
ready to leave camp checked my scope on my 7mm had moisture problem had to switch guns last minute
just have to be sure of your shot with the 270.

HuntWYODon
01-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I tried the 180 gr. Scirocco in my 300 RUM with a bunch of different powders but couldn't find a load to match the one I mentioned. I love the bullet design though. I shot a deer with a 150 gr. Scirocco yrs ago. Dropped on the spot. Funny thing (not) that would happen with Scirocco's. The same load with Barnes TSX, GMX, Accubond's, Interbonds, etc. would have more pressure. Could be the length of the bullet. I know TSX and GMX have groves to reduce pressure but didn't get and signe with the Accubond either. Just thought I'd mention that. Don't know why...

Elkoholic307
01-03-2012, 07:45 PM
would you consider a 140gr Winchester Supreme Ballistic SilverTip in 7mm rem mag a good round for elk? the ballistics charts i've seen tell me that this is a great bullet. what do you all think?

The answer to your question is no. Spend a little more cash and try the Partitions.

Sawfish
01-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I have always had good success with the Speer Grand Slam on elk. The 250 GS is my go to bullet in my 358 Norma Magnum elk rifle. IMHO, you can buy more expensive bullets, but I do not see how they can kill the elk any more dead.

Old Hunter
01-06-2012, 10:06 PM
I've been using the Partition for 50 years. I suppose there's better bullets now, but i've never had a failure. I don't see a good reason to try anything else.

Colorado Cowboy
01-07-2012, 06:06 AM
I've been using the Partition for 50 years. I suppose there's better bullets now, but i've never had a failure. I don't see a good reason to try anything else.

Yep....in 100% agreement! Shot my first elk with it in the 60's and have never needed anything elso. Also got a couple of moose. Deer and antelope are another story. Sierra Game Kings are my choice and have been for years.

Bitterroot Bulls
01-07-2012, 07:56 AM
I think partitions are fine performing bullets. The thing is Accubonds perform the same (partition-like terminal performance was the design goal) but have much higher ballistic coefficients. It is a win-win.

Old Hunter
01-07-2012, 09:05 AM
I had thoughts of using the Accubond. I like to do some research before I make any changes. Since they're both Nosler bullets. I figured I could get a straight answer from them. I shoot a .270, and asked them what would be the best bullet to use for elk. Without a nano second hesitation he said.........use a 150gr Partition, and don't think about using anything else. I thanked him, and said that's what i've been doing for 50 years with no failures, but was curious about newer bullets.

We didn't talk about any other caliber, so it might be different.

Colorado Cowboy
01-07-2012, 09:47 AM
I think partitions are fine performing bullets. The thing is Accubonds perform the same (partition-like terminal performance was the design goal) but have much higher ballistic coefficients. It is a win-win.

When my .300 Wby shoots less than minute groups out to 500 yds with partitions and my handload.....you think I would ever consider changing....NOT!

Bitterroot Bulls
01-07-2012, 10:01 AM
When my .300 Wby shoots less than minute groups out to 500 yds with partitions and my handload.....you think I would ever consider changing....NOT!

Good point CC!

I probably wouldn't either. My post was for those looking to come up with their own load.

brandenbowhunter
01-07-2012, 02:11 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
I bought a 300 ultrs mag...for spring bear hunting...love it for elk so far..two bulls with it...two bears...a few antelope..and mule deer...great gun...wife has shot two deer with it...
I was looking at 7 mags and got talked into this for the variable power level ammo...wife can shoot her light recoil stuff and me my high power long range...don't have to re-sight...