PDA

View Full Version : If you were building an elk rifle, what would you make?

mcseal2
03-01-2011, 04:05 PM
What would be your ideal rifle for hunting elk where both hikes and shots can be long?

I am going to build one before fall of 2012 and with the waits from barrel companies I figured I should get that part started soon. Also this rifle will be expensive, so if I sell a couple other ones this year and start buying parts now I can spread out the cost. I figured I'd list what I was thinking of and see what others favorites were.

I have a browning A-bolt in 270WSM that I like really well for deer, especially the tang safety. For elk I'd like to start with an A-bolt action and build a 300WSM. Other components would be 24" Kreiger #2 barrel, Mcmillian Hunters Edge ultralight stock, Leupold 4.5x14 CDS scope, 2lb trigger spring kit, and Vias removable muzzle brake. I'd get the twist to shoot 180gr accubonds and work up a load that pushed them around 3000fps. The velocity and ballistic coefficient would be real close to that of my 270WSM load with 140gr accubonds to keep switching rifles simple.

What are your dream rifles?

Firearrow
03-01-2011, 09:35 PM
I am no gun smith, but a rem/savage action will be able to be trued up by most gunsmiths, and are relitivly cheap to have work done on. Not to sure about Browning. Just dropped my rem off and will be truing the action, Jewell trigger (about 2 or 2.5 lbs) Kreigher Barrel with a break, and I already have a HS stock and will be full action bedding it. I worked up a good shooting load on the factory rifle with 190gr Bergers, and they are under 3000 fps. I could have gone higher on the powder but my groups opened up a bit with no pressure signs. It will be nice to see what kind of improvements this work will provide, other than making my wallet lighter.

Elkoholic307
03-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I just got a 338 RUM with a 26" Krieger #5 contour 1-10 twist. It's got a Harrell's brake and a Tubb recoil lug. The action is a 700 and the stock is Remington laminated wood. It used to be an XCR so it has an X-Mark trigger, but they did some work to it and it's around 2.8 lbs. Action and bolt lugs have been trued. Also has an extended mag box which is nice because rumor has it that Berger is making a couple brand new 300g VLD options with very high coefficients. For now, I'll be playing with the 225g TTSX. I'm hoping I can do 3100 fps. I'm planning on putting on a VX-3 6.5-20x50 with the long range target turrets.

dcannon
03-02-2011, 03:24 PM
If I was to do it all over again, it would be a Win Model 70 or a Rem 700 action, a Brown Precision or HS Precision stock, a Shilen SS barrel in #3 taper, and top it off with a Swaro Z6 scope. I've been kinda leaning towards a 300 WSM, although it would be hard to let go of the 300 win mag.

The rifle I had built has the following items: Rem 700 action, Brown Precision stock, a #3 taper Lother Walther barrel, and a Zeiss conquest scope with the Z-Plex. Originally, it had a #5 Douglas barrel and a Burris Black Diamond scope with the 50mm objective lens, but the thing was a tank.

mcseal2
03-02-2011, 10:04 PM
I am no gun smith, but a rem/savage action will be able to be trued up by most gunsmiths, and are relitivly cheap to have work done on. Not to sure about Browning. Just dropped my rem off and will be truing the action, Jewell trigger (about 2 or 2.5 lbs) Kreigher Barrel with a break, and I already have a HS stock and will be full action bedding it. I worked up a good shooting load on the factory rifle with 190gr Bergers, and they are under 3000 fps. I could have gone higher on the powder but my groups opened up a bit with no pressure signs. It will be nice to see what kind of improvements this work will provide, other than making my wallet lighter.

I chose the browning because the tang is my favorite safety design. I've had the remington safety's rub off into the fire position on my pack when carrying the rifle over my left shoulder. I want a safety that locks the bolt down that I can't rub off. I like the winchester or ruger safety also, but the tang is my favorite. The guy I hunt with is having an aftermarket 3 position put in his 700. The savage action would work fine for me too, honestly I just like the looks of the Browning better.

Elkaholic that 338 should get the job done! I love the ballistics, I just prefer a shorter rifle to hunt with especially when carrying it in my eberlestock. It won't have the range or thump of yours though. I have a 6.5x20 on my 6mm Rem and love it.

HUNT4U
03-05-2011, 09:19 PM
300 Win Mag. Start with a Asylum Arms action(made by Defiance Machine. Improved 700). 26" Brux #3 in a HS precision sporter stock. Topped off with a NightForce NXS 3-15x50.

03-07-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm going to go the other way on this. If your hunting elk in heavy cover most of the time, I would go with a 45/70 or a 450 nitro with the shortest barrel your area allows and single shot action. If your in the open country, then all the above suggestions are great, long shooting, hard hitting rounds. In the thick crap elk live in around me, there is no replacement for a big brick of lead. Small branches and leaves are no match.

Firearrow
03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
300 Win Mag. Start with a Asylum Arms action(made by Defiance Machine. Improved 700). 26" Brux #3 in a HS precision sporter stock. Topped off with a NightForce NXS 3-15x50.

Ya what he said. That should do it. ;)

jhpam3117
03-08-2011, 03:32 PM
.300 RUM custom with Zeiss Conquest and Kenton Custom turrets on top.

mcseal2
03-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Sounds like everyone has some really nice rifles.

godscountry440
03-09-2011, 06:06 PM
You're smart to go with the Browning A bolt. I'd build it with the Mountain TI receiver with a stainless barrel in .338 Win mag. Zeiss scopes are hard to beat. Let us know what you end up with.

THEBUGLER
03-26-2011, 10:09 AM
For my North Idaho endeavors; 338 win mag, Remington action, HS sporter stock, Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm scope w/ velocity reticle.

mcseal2
03-26-2011, 04:07 PM
I started looking at older Ruger actions also since they can be picked up pretty reasonable and have the tang safety and adjustable trigger. I got one bought in a 7mm Rem Mag that I planned to use to build my 300 off of. When it came in it had been glass bedded, floated, and had a limbsaver pad installed. My gunsmith adjusted the trigger and cleaned a bunch of copper out of the barrel. Then I put a 4.5x14 Leupold on and sighted it in with 175gr corelokts. I let it cool and tried my 160gr accubond load my old rifle shot really well, and was amazed. I put 3 into .6", let it cool, and put 3 more into the same group. I'm going to have to leave this rifle alone and find another action. It is heavier than I want for a backpacking rifle at 9.2lbs ready to hunt, but it will be a great one to keep for a backup or use in flatter ground.

6mm Remington
04-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Ruger #1B in 30-06 with a 165 gr. Partition or Accubond at a chronographed 2940 fps. It has a Leupold 4x scope on it and shoots like a dream. It's a little heavy to carry, but it sure settles down in the wind or when you are breathing hard with the extra heft. I'm completely confident in the 30-06 and think it's pretty tough to beat it. Lot's of good cartridges out there, but that is what I like!

I've also killed one spike bull with my 6mm Remington and 100 gr. Partition in a #1B as well, and my son shot a large cow with his 6mm this year and a 90 gr. Nosler E-tip. I know the 6mm is light but with a good bullet and good placement, they get the job done.

highcountry
06-01-2011, 01:20 AM
I recently had a 7mm wsm built by GA Precision. It's light enough I can haul it around at 11,000 feet but shoots amazing (3/8 moa). I run 180gr bergers at 2900 and the BCs on these keep up with almost any of the 30 cals. I orginally wanted to build a 338 but the guys at GA talked me into the 7mm wsm and I've been really glad they did. It has all the knock down you need at distance plus the rounds are alot cheaper and recoil is alot more managable. Also put a S&B PMII 4.5x14 scope on it.

Templar action, Bartlein stainless 5R barrel / 1/11 twist, McMillan HTG-Tex-M40A1 stock (this is the "Rock" setup with the upgrade to the Templar action).

Doe Nob
06-01-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm in process. Savage model 111 long range hunter in 300 win. Glass shopping right now, haven't decided yet.

dustyboots
06-22-2011, 10:44 PM
300 Weatherby Magnum

packmule
06-22-2011, 11:00 PM
280AI in the Titanium Strata (second one down in link below)

http://www.riflesinc.com/riflemodels.html

7mmsendero
09-10-2011, 05:33 AM
I'm not sure how many guys know about the Lazzeroni Rifles, but if we are talking dreams here you go.

http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_rifles.htm

My dad has a 7.82 Warbird, and it is unreal.

I've used .300 Weatherby Magnum, 7mm Weatherby Magnum, and 7mm Remmington Magnum with the sendero package (obvious). The 7mm's are great, and I really like the accuracy of the sendero package. If you can stand the extra 2lbs it's worth it. I plan on using my dad's Warbird in Wyoming this fall, so that should be interesting. We use 4-14 Nikon scopes, good company that stands by their products.

Elkoholic307
09-10-2011, 04:09 PM
I was just thinking of buying a Sendero 7 stw... Coincidence?

7mmsendero
09-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Buy it, great gun.

Here is how I ended up switching to the 7mm sendero. We were on a DIY elk/deer hunt in Colorado, and something got knocked loose on my 7mm Weatherby. My dad and brother each had 7mm sendero's, and bro let us take his as the backup gun. We always wanted to have a sendero as a backup because they are extremely accurate and it is possible to find ammo if in a pinch. I used the 7mm sendero on that trip and never looked back. A little heavy? Sure. Tack driver? Yep. Took an elk at 400 yards and a mule deer at 330 yards last fall.

trkytrack2
09-13-2011, 10:48 PM
.338 Mag on a Remington action for sure. Best elk round made IMO.

tim
10-31-2011, 06:53 PM
to the original poster of this thread. IS there enough of a difference between the 270 wsm and the 300 wsm to have both?