PDA

View Full Version : Water Treatment

Justin
03-01-2011, 06:31 PM
What kind of system works best for lightweight backcountry hunts?

Duk Dog
03-01-2011, 09:11 PM
No idea if it is the best or not, but I use Pristine water drops.

http://www.advancechemicals.ca/Pristine-Water-Purification-Systems

AKinID
03-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Would have to agree with Duk Dog on the Pristine water drops. Another really light weight option is Pottable Aqua, they are an iodine tablet. Just keep in mind that niether option takes sediments out of the water. So if the area you are in only has standing water a lightweight pump filter is a good idea as well. I carry both an MSR Sweetwater filter, and Pottable Aqua. It is a touch extra weight, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Justin
03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the info.

03-02-2011, 12:37 PM
I use a MSR filter for some water and then put in the drops to purify it further. Where I am lots of the water is pretty full of dirt, moss, sticks, and other solid crap. The filter makes a big difference.

Archer32
03-02-2011, 04:43 PM
If your into waiting on the tabs to work (read instructions, some take hours to kill stuff) and can stand the taste go with iodine tabs for "light weight". I personally carry a katadyn filter as the water is processed then and there, plus you can pull from some pretty nasty seeps and have a nice product to drink. I got a quickconnect to where I can fill the camelbak up without taking it out of the sleeve in the Eberlestock pack. This is one area I don't mind carrying extra weight in. I do carry tabs for emergencies, but this katadyn has been going strong for years. Good luck!

iowashedhunter
03-05-2011, 11:38 AM
I do the exact same thing as Archer32 and have never had a problem with the katadyn, it is a great filter system and having the quick connect makes refilling my water bladder a breeze as you dont even need to take it out of your pack. Do remember to carry a backup but I have never had a problem with it.

abrowland
03-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Last year, I went out on a limb and bought the MSR Hyperflow. It uses glass tube technology to filter the water. From what I read this has been used in commercial treatment plants for quite a while and this is the first backpack implementation. It can be cleaned in the field by switching a couple of valves and backflushing. There is a concern with freezing - apparently if the thing freezes, the tubes can shatter, rendering it useless. Anytime I've been concerned about this, I make sure to pump it dry and keep it in my sleeping bag at night. I've had ZERO problems with this filter and really like it. It will fill a liter bottle in about 1/3 the time of any other filter out there (around 19 strokes of the pump). Weight is minimal, as is space required. I think the whole thing is under 9 oz and it is about as big as a hot dog bun. You'll never beat the weight of chemical treatment, but I find this filter is a good option. Small, lightweight and no nasty chemical taste. I'm very happy with it. It trimmed quite a bit of weight and space from my pack. Good luck!

rocky mt addict
03-10-2011, 06:07 AM
i have the Katadyn and love it. with the amount of water that you drink when hiking miles every day, it is nice to have water that tastes good and doesn't have any floaties.

MT backcountry hunter
03-10-2011, 05:47 PM
The best lightweight water treatment system that I have found is a product call Aquamira. It is a 2 part system that you mix together and kills everything in the water. It is a 2 part system of acid/base so it cancels each other out leaving no after taste. The only problem is that you are not filtering the water.

mcseal2
03-10-2011, 07:10 PM
+1 on the Katadyn, I use the hiker model. I also carry a frontier filter straw in my little emergency kit in my pocket. That way I have a back-up, and if I drop my pack for a stalk that gets drawn out I can drink from any available source if needed.

shed
03-11-2011, 07:35 PM
I recently bought the 2 part pristine. Other than the directions that came with it, has anyone found improvements on how to use it or other sound advice, thxs!

jhpam3117
03-12-2011, 08:22 AM
I have a MSR water filter and it works great. It is durable but a little bulky, which I don't mind as it works for me for now.

Maineboy
05-26-2012, 09:02 PM
this worked well for my brother and I last year 14 days afield. it was quick and you could just walk away and do other things like cook while the water transfered. http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/filtration-and-storage/gravityworks-filter/product (http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/filtration-and-storage/gravityworks-filter/product)

pcc2b
05-26-2012, 09:30 PM
I have used a steripen for the past few years and it has worked great. i do take an extra battery and a couple of backup tablets just in case. for the weight and time it takes to treat, pretty handy little piece of equipment.

BKC
05-26-2012, 09:35 PM
this worked well for my brother and I last year 14 days afield. it was quick and you could just walk away and do other things like cook while the water transfered. http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/filtration-and-storage/gravityworks-filter/product (http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/filtration-and-storage/gravityworks-filter/product) I basically have the same thing from Katadyn. A bag you dip in the creek and let gravity feed thru the filter and I fill up a 3 gallon collapsible clear plastic water bladder. It takes about 1/2 hour to drain the bag. I keep iy in camp. I do not carry a pump in the field. I just carry 2-20 ounce water bottles. If I get something down, I use a little water to clean up for the pictures and then I usually run out but 40 ounces usually gets me thru the day. Do not eat snow! I did this when I shot my goat so I could clean him up for pictures and used all my water. I read somewhere that you use more energy to melt snow than you get. I found out the hard way. It depends on how high you hunt but sometimes I will take a chance drinking snow melt or creek water unfiltered. I like to live on the edge:p

Jerry
05-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Maybe I've been lucky, but for more than 40 years of hunting and camping, I've never used any purification system at all. No one I've hunted or camped with has come up sick or had any problems from the water! You have to be a little selective where you get your water from but with a little care it is not hard to find. My favorite is fresh spring water right out of the rocks!

Ikeepitcold
05-27-2012, 09:38 AM
I use a MSR filter for some water and then put in the drops to purify it further. Where I am lots of the water is pretty full of dirt, moss, sticks, and other solid crap. The filter makes a big difference.

I also use the MSR. It's a great light weight filter

NorthT
08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
do you guys like your Katadyn hiker model? was comparing it to the Platypus gravity bag i think is what you call it.

Colorado Cowboy
08-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Maybe I've been lucky, but for more than 40 years of hunting and camping, I've never used any purification system at all. No one I've hunted or camped with has come up sick or had any problems from the water! You have to be a little selective where you get your water from but with a little care it is not hard to find. My favorite is fresh spring water right out of the rocks!

Me too. One thing I know is that the only place I will use water W/O any purification is in wilderness areas where there is no livestock.

Darktimber
08-16-2012, 06:19 PM
I have been using the Katydyn Hiker pro for years and really like it for dependability. It is a little heavier than I would like though. I used to drink out of springs without purification to until eight years ago when I got Giardia. I don't want to go into the details, but trust me it is something that you never want to experience. A lot of times springs actually come from creeks and lakes sometimes miles away. It may look like its a clean pure spring, but it could be coming from somewhere else. I second using a filter also around any area that has or does contain livestock . The cattle can spread some pretty nasty things into areas that look pristine but have been compromised. The biggest thing I don't like about the Katydyn hiker is the price of the replacement filters. They are very proud of them.

sjsmallfield
08-16-2012, 07:10 PM
I used to drink out of the streams here in CA when I was a kid. That all stopped when two of my friends got Giardia when we were in high school. Both guys got it in two totally different places the same summer. After watching those guys I will never take the chance again.

NorthT
08-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Do you guys like a pump or a bag better? Trying to decide which one to go for.

sjsmallfield
08-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Do you guys like a pump or a bag better? Trying to decide which one to go for.

I don't have experience with both but the pump filters seem to be alot more popular at the shop I work at.

JMSZ
09-26-2012, 12:22 PM
I just ordered a Sawyer 4L gravity system (SP183), I'll report back on how it works after I get back next month.

Chippy Hacky
09-26-2012, 04:45 PM
I recently picked up the Sawyer Squeeze system. It is ultra light and I like that it can thread onto a water bottle. All you have to do is fill the water bladder that comes with it and squeeze the water through the filter. I like that the filter doesn't have to be replaced, just backwashed when there is too much resistance. It does take some effort to squeeze the water out and won't do the volume as quickly as some models but for the weight and price I think it is a winner.

BobcatJerry
09-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Just got back from a week hunting. We used the MSR Mini works but took two new items to test out. I took a filter from a Sawyer water bottle and put it on a MSR gravity bag which I got from Cabelas Bargain Cave thinking it had a filter included, it didn't. It work great, just fill it up and let it drip. We were able to make 5 gallons of camp water in about 30 minutes. Also used the Steri Pen for the first time. I only used it to clean up our dipping bottle that we used to filled the MSR bag. I have a lot more confidence in it now. Where we hunt, there are a lot of cattle all summer so we are pretty careful. If I was in an area with no cattle I would use the steri pen especially on the trail. Does a quart in about 1 minute, no wait, no bad taste.

Muleys 24/7
09-26-2012, 09:47 PM
I recently picked up the Sawyer Squeeze system. It is ultra light and I like that it can thread onto a water bottle. All you have to do is fill the water bladder that comes with it and squeeze the water through the filter. I like that the filter doesn't have to be replaced, just backwashed when there is too much resistance. It does take some effort to squeeze the water out and won't do the volume as quickly as some models but for the weight and price I think it is a winner.

I have the same system, I love the almost nothing wieght of the sawyer.

squirrelduster
09-26-2012, 10:20 PM
I tried the "oh that water looks fine" trick in the mountains of Nevada.
Never really thought much about good looking drinking water having bugs. Never again!!!
I was sick for weeks. Everything I drink in the woods is filtered. I wouldnt care if the filter weighed 5 pounds, I'm not drinking anything that's not filtered.
I just bought the MSR lightweight filter, weighs 7 ounces or so. I have the Katadyn also but it's pretty heavy. Any of the filters are effective and don't give the water the taste of the tablets.

JMSZ
01-23-2013, 10:08 AM
I took my 4L Sawyer out hunting with me this past September. I only got the gray bag and I made up an adapter with a Camelback quick disconnect so I can hook it directly up to my Camelbacks, instead of using Sawyer's blue bag.

I got to use it once, got water out of a spring with it. Getting it filled without getting junk in it is the hardest part (I forgot to get some cheesecloth for it before I left).

After that, you hang it and it does it's thing, really simple.

I definitely recommend getting the 4L bag, it doesn't take up that much more room and it will save you an extra trip to your water source.

arrowslinger21
01-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Buy iodine and use it when you need. I have a great msr filter that works awesome, but it weighs too much and takes up too much space. I drink about 70 % of my water with no treatment straight out of high country springs that flow from the granite faces here. But iodine is all I use for treatment now.

dhershberger
01-26-2013, 01:22 PM
For Christmas I got a Sawyer Water Filter System and it only weighs 3 oz.! Its the lightest water filter system ever made that I know of! Cant beat that! Also for back up I bring Katadyn Micro pures which weigh one or two ounces.

dihardhunter
01-30-2013, 12:21 PM
A huge +1 for the Sawyer filter. We adapted the filter and spliced it directly into a Platypus line for the most streamlined approach. Hmmm, elk wallow water...:)