PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone's plan this year.

Firearrow
03-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Going to CO in a new spot I have been looking at for two years for deer, unless I draw the Heneries. Would be great to draw a Mountain Goat, or Sheep tag somewhere, but aren't we all hoping for this as well? And hopefully going to draw a WY Speed Goat tag.

Hope someone is going sheep/goat hunting up north. Need to live vicarious through ya.

RUTTIN
03-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Unless I pull a Henries archery tag, or my moose tag in Utah, I will be hitting the general archery deer hunt, and general archery elk. I wish I would be hunting Montana this year I have two points for the general elk combo, but can't justify the extra bones it is to draw a tag now so I won't be putting in any more. It sucks because Montana was a fun hunt for us. Will probably buy a point for Wyoming elk. Would love to start hunting Colorado for archery deer. We may just go to Colorado and hunt elk over the counter for something to do.

Blue Skies Hunting Advent
03-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Breaking in the new crossbow in Alberta this spring, hoping for a nice color phase bear. trip in june to texas to chase Aoudad and Axis, pronghorn and Mule deer hunting in Nebraska. Should be a good year.

Firearrow
03-02-2011, 06:04 PM
I shot a nice bull two years back with a OCT in CO when the bang stick boys were in country. Thank god they don't venture far from the beaten path. Was in MT last year on my buddies mountain goat hunt, and we were in some awsome country. This area should of had a few bulls in every drainage, and whole herd of bucks in every bowl. The only thing we saw were one band on Big Horns, Goats (12,500 ft looking down helps to see these guys), and wolf tracks/scat. You could not pay me to go elk hunting in that country now. Those damn wolves are BAD NEWS!!! Hope, for the sake of MT, WY, ID, the feds pull there heads out of somewhere, and get the wolves under control.

gon4elk
03-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Drew Wyoming elk tag so will do that in Sept. and dependant on the draws in Utah may do elk archery here.

Jerry
03-02-2011, 07:10 PM
General Archery season for me! Unless I draw a goat or sheep tag!!!!

elkslayer4x5
03-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I'll be hunting at home this year, Deer archery begins 2nd week-end of July here in Calif. Works really well for my grandson who lives in Oregon where archery deer opens last week of Aug. So at home its week-ends and what time he has after school. Got a nice mid size blacktail picked out for him. When he and his Dad return home for school, I'll be back on the trail of a P & Y contender cinnomon phase black bear I suprised sneaking into an area with several WU camps, currently filled to capasity. That was the 2nd day of last years opener, July 12th. Bears season opens 2 week-end Aug, Archery bear runs concurrent with regluar centerfire rifle. So I can pack back up, with helps when the bear I suprised was bigger than the mountain bike I was riding. Both longer and taller :EEK!: I spent quite a bit of time creating a map of the area, found his goto hidey, and a week-end route to visit nearby campgrounds. Might be enough to keep me busy, only got 4 more month to get ready to take the boys on a bike tour of my local hot spots....:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Nanners%20boys/bigfork.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/aablacktailleft.jpg

Whitetail101
03-04-2011, 03:47 PM
1. Archery hunting turkey in Florida, Texas, New Mexico

2. Hoping for an archery Bull elk tag in either Arizona or New Mexico. If I don't get drawn for New Mexico, I will not be applying for New Mexico again due to the stupidity of the new regs that will take effect in 2012.

3. Hoping for archery antelope in Arizona or New Mexico, if not will be hunting Wyoming again this year

4. Hopefully I can pull off a PA elk tag this year, but we'll have wait until September to find out.

5. Archery whitetail first week of Novemeber in Missouri

6. And of course my usual hunting trips within the borders of Pennsylvania, which is usally Whitetail, Bear, Turkey(spring and fall) and waterfowl

brudno
03-04-2011, 07:26 PM
My standy by hunts should be.

Utah general archery mulies
Colorado high country archer mulies
Wisconsin whitetail archery and rifle season.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for randoms in Utah, New Mexico, Nevada or Washington and Montana Trophy species.

DryFlyGuy
03-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Packing in light and packing out heavy for elk in September. That is my plan.

rocky mt addict
03-05-2011, 09:51 AM
UT-hoping for mulies, building for elk, sheep, goat
WY-points for elk, mulies, 'lopes
CO-points for mulies, Muzzleloader or OTC archery for elk
MN-moose (hopefully within the next ten years) deer, muskies (almost as much fun as hunting)

Gamehog
03-05-2011, 10:04 AM
It's all California for me. Hope to get my X zone tag this year and hunt some back country mulies with my bow. If not my chance of tagging a nice blacktail is not bad. I also plan on going to film a few of my buddies on some out of state hunts (ID,MT,CO).

Rob
03-06-2011, 12:03 PM
This will be a down year for me. No trips planned for me this year (so far). Not counting on the long shots of sheep ,moose or goat. Probably just hunt local and plan big for next year. This is when being trapped in the MidWest SUCKS!

BOHNTR
03-06-2011, 01:23 PM
CO-will draw deer (archery above timberline)
AZ-elk BP, have an AO deer tag, will put in for deer BP only
UT-Deer draw (8 points) probably won't draw, Elk & antelope as well (low draw rate)
CA-will draw deer (archery-2 tags), tule elk (max points), antelope (PP only), sheep (max points)
WY-elk and deer points (max on both)
NV-deer (one more year of points only)

A3dhunter
03-06-2011, 02:14 PM
CO archery deer- will draw a tag
CO elk PP again, then poss. hunt OTC

Planning a permanent move to Colorado that fell through last year, may mess up all the hunting plans, but getting desperate to move...

IL Hntr
03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Heading to Colorado for my first OTC archery elk hunt.

CO - Building points for Mule Deer and Elk
WY - Building points for Antelope, Elk, and Mule Deer

Hunting whitetails, turkeys, coyotes, and waterfowl in Illinois and Indiana.

jhpam3117
03-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Buying points in WY and either hunting WI for big bucks for WY for doe/fawn and late season cow elk.

indianw
03-08-2011, 05:25 PM
NM-Elk draw
Co.-Elk first season
Co.-Deer PP
Ca.- 2 Deer tags, 1 Bear Tag & 5 Bobcat tags

turkeyhunter60
03-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Killing me, an Elk, Mule Deer, and Turkey....With Archery Equiptment....:cool:

zachbow
03-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Hopefully WY antelope
Idaho elk, mulies, antelope and bear for sure.
Maybe something crazy like UT deer or NM elk.

hoytnut
03-10-2011, 08:32 AM
CO - Mule Deer (PP, but will draw 2nd choice high country hunt)
UT - Mule Deer (likely to draw), Desert Bighorn (tremendous longshot), Bear (longshot)
WY - Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope (points)
NM - Mule Deer (longshot draw)

BADbuckfever
03-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Same ol' same ol'
Two California Deer tags
1. Bowhunt the archery season of my D13 tag then the general season if not filled.
2. An archery-only A22 tag that runs from Sept through Oct. (split season) then from Nov. through the end of Dec. I love this hunt because it usually snows in December in the mountains 20 miles from the Mexican border.

dito
03-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I live in CO so will do archery lope. OTC elk archery and debating on archery deer or 3rd season deer.

califhuntn
03-11-2011, 12:04 AM
CA Turkey, Pig, Blacktail & if I'm lucky I may draw an X zone deer tag. Sheep, antelope & elk won't draw.
CO might draw a archery high country tag. Elk pts.
WY 3 pts should get me an antelope tag. Elk, deer, sheep, moose pts only.
UT probably won't draw deer or elk. Sheep & moose pts only.
OR Deer & elk pts.
NV deer, elk, sheep, antelope pts.
WA sheep & moose pts

mattm
03-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Utah general bow for deer. Putting in for a limited entry archery elk (building points). Building points for moose. Also late season cow tag. Can't wait. Will start the season looking for a turkey in northern Utah, and then back down to south eastern utah.

Sharpstick
03-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Archery deer and elk here in Utah. I have my fingers crossed with 15 points for moose on the North Slope Summit unit also in Utah. Also, looking forward to my November cow elk hunt which is always a fun, family/friend event. So far seven for seven on the cow hunt. Meat meat in the freezer! Got to get out with some buddies and do some float tube fishing this year too!

shed
03-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Putting in for draws and points in colorado, utah, wyoming, arizona, new mexico, oregon, idaho, california, nevada, and looking at lo tags in montana, nevada, and colorado.

twp1224
03-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Gamehog - What X zone do you apply for? This will be my first year applying for an X zone tag. I'm looking at X9b and X10. I plan on getting my yearly D8 tag and hitting the high country during archery. Then if i dont get anything I hunt the rifle season.

It's all California for me. Hope to get my X zone tag this year and hunt some back country mulies with my bow. If not my chance of tagging a nice blacktail is not bad. I also plan on going to film a few of my buddies on some out of state hunts (ID,MT,CO).

Firearrow
03-11-2011, 07:49 PM
It isn't high country, but X6b always filled my freezer.

ssliger
03-13-2011, 09:00 AM
New to archery have hunted Antelope spot and stalk last two years, close but no cigar.
This years plan is Antelope (almost a guaranteed tag)
If i don't draw ELK or Deer, general season it is.

pat_estvold
03-13-2011, 10:08 PM
I putting in for points in colorado, utah, wyoming, and montana.

Livesilly
03-14-2011, 07:38 PM
As soon as the black bears come out we are going to go chase a few around the bush...

nv-hunter
03-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Putting in for everything in nevada and oregon. Then hunt deer in nv and otc elk bow in Or

rezavoirdog
03-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Jicarilla New Mexico Archery Bull Elk, Montana General Mule Deer Rifle Tag...

Joe Hulburt
03-14-2011, 11:58 PM
My first plan is to kill a giant P&Y spring black bear! :D After that it will depend on what tags are drawn but for sure hunting Roosevelt bulls in the brush here on the coast.

Scoutman
03-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Applying for elk and deer points in Co.Should draw deer and will hunt otc elk 2 weeks with bow.Then whitetails in Ga,Nc,Sc.

Stringmusic
03-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Putting in for Moose and Goat in Montan really soon. Hopefully this is the year!

walleyed
03-16-2011, 07:21 AM
Points only in Wy and utah for me. Goin to Colorado to archery elk hunt. Black hills whiteys. Black bear and deer around home.

elkmtngear
03-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Bowhunting Deer in NorCal and Oregon, then either Caribou in AK, or OTC Elk in Colorado (Archery). We won't know until July about the Caribou hunt.

Best of Luck,
Jeff

mthuntress
03-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Bear,Elk,Deer,Antelope all in Montana for me.

nybowhuntr
03-22-2011, 07:52 AM
I'll be enjoying the last week of Colorado bow season with an OTC tag since I don't have enough points to hit my favorite draw unit.

huntnrich
03-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm hoping to draw Wyoming Moose--Hunting with a Bow & Arrow
I'll be hunting Wyoming Antelope,(max NR Points----With a Bow & Arrow
And I have 11 NR Nevada Deer Points, Hopefully burning them.

Pronghorn73
03-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Hoping for S.E. Idaho moose, but will for sure hunt mule deer S.E ID, Whitetail N. ID, Archery Antelope ID, Elk ID, and points for WY deer and antelope. My wife will put in for moose also, maybe with both of us in the draw we can pull at least 1 tag!

Adam
03-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Wyoming General Deer and Elk
Hopefully Montana Deer and Elk
Idaho General Elk
Points in CO, NV
Wyoming Mtn. Lion

wolftalonID
03-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I was seeing all these guys going all these places...save for Idaho...guess its just us three this year up here. LOL Adam and Pronghorn and I.
Makes it better I guess, less people in the woods!
I am for sure archery hunting elk and deer. For Black bear, I will buy a tag and walk around alot, but no promises on hunting. Being thats how it ended up last year. Im not one to bait and sit.(BORING). However I know a good spot along the river to try this spring that should yield me a good bear.
I am surely pulled on my elk hunt. I truly love the Deadwood res drainage. In the past its been a tremendous elk location. Last year, not only me, but just about any hunter I ran into was just in serious down and out moods from not finding anything. I hunted 5 days and saw 1 cow elk and 2 doe mulies.
This year, if the F&G dont restrict the crap out of the McCall Zones, I may just do that, and be closer to home. Really tough call though. I like my traditions and week of camping and fishing and such by the lake, and if I change zones, then all that goes out with it. :(

goatpoop
03-23-2011, 12:50 PM
OTC Deer and Elk in MT
Moose in MT
Sheep in the famous Missouri Breaks(one can dream right?)

Doe Nob
03-23-2011, 02:55 PM
I put in for:

NM Oryx (didn't draw)
KY Elk
NM Ibex
NM Late season archery deer (Jan 1-15)
AZ Supertags
MT Supertags for sheep and goats
MT Bighorn
CO Deer points
WY points for elk, deer and antelope.

I'm going for sure to:

KY for turkeys (Area 51)
Fall archery black bear OTC (Area 51)
Archery antelope OTC (Area 51)
Archery mule deer OTC (Area 51)
CO Rifle elk OTC in 54

I think what I have planned right now will eat up all my vacation, I will have to figure something out if I draw any of the tags I put in for!

jenbickel
03-26-2011, 01:45 PM
This year for me will be
Wyoming:
Spring Turkey
Antelope
Deer
Elk
Fall Bear
Hopefully moose but doubtful. :)

Montana:
Mountain Lion

All Archery.. Unless I dont get my antelope, then rifle for him and probably rifle for Mountain Lion.

JeremyBatey
03-29-2011, 02:35 PM
I have 2 preference points in my pocket going into this year's Iowa archery draw. I hope to be hunting south central properties there that I have been scouting for 2 years now.

Also drawing into north central Kansas, and probably picking up the option for a muley tag based upon things I found there last season.

A summer scouting trip should help me decided whether or not I should pursue a north central Missouri OTC tag.

And I'll be hunting grounds here in my home state of Oklahoma as well.

James Long
04-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Getting in to shape. Then WY deer, elk, antelope. Also helping a good buddy fill up his freezer.

hubba20
04-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Nevada- Archery deer, archery elk, archery antelope, and points for sheep and mountain goat.
Utah- points for LE deer, elk, mountain goat, and antelope.
Colorado- points for deer
Wyoming- points for deer and elk.

gonna have some sweet tags in a few years ;)

NRS
04-08-2011, 09:50 AM
I would have to say it seems the only thing the wolves are good for is keeping other people out of Idaho, seems like most people are looking elsewhere, dont blame you. Archery Mule Deer, ELK and Prongorn for me all OTC, unless I can draw some pretty long shot rifle tags with the wife for Deer and Elk. I wish I had the time and money to try and hunt other states it seems like a lot of fun and great experiences all around.

hubba20
04-10-2011, 05:49 PM
well if that is what is keeping people away from idaho, that just means its easier to get tags for you. we need to get some wolves in nevada so i can get tags easier! lol jk

Maxhunter
04-10-2011, 06:27 PM
I'll be doing the following this season;

1. General Season Deer & Elk here in Utah
2. Archery Mountain Goat Hunt in BC end of September
3. Archery Brown Bear in Alaska in October

Mtnrchr
04-11-2011, 09:17 PM
CO - archery elk and mulies - sept.
AK - rifle mt. goat and brown bear - nov.