PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Hunting Goals

Joe Hulburt
12-18-2011, 10:33 PM
So what's on every bodies list to get done in 2012? Lets hear it!

Here is my list at this time.... Tag draws could change things up with any luck!

*Kill a spring bear. Doesn't need to be huge as I don't want any more bear taxidermy bills.

*Scout and kill my personal best Roosevelt archery bull and help my boys do the same.

*Pass on mediocre blacktails and kill a P&Y buck with my bow during gun season since archery season sucks where I live.

*Kill a cougar!

*kill a whitetail worthy of a head mount!

cali_hornhunter
12-18-2011, 11:12 PM
1)My Father and I tag out on are archery tags this Jan in AZ
2)Go to Idaho for elk and tag out in the archery me and my pops
3) The usual deer hunt in CA and whatever else the draw could bring me but probably nothing lol

hardcore09
12-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Sounds like some good goals! For me in 2012.....(depends if i draw tags but if i don't here are my OTC DIY goals!)

- keep conditioning and kill my first Mt bull elk with a bow in the backcountry!!! (number 1 goal)

-let young bulls walk and harvest a 6pt bull in Idaho

-Color phase bear in Idaho

-Respectable ID Whitetail

-Mt mulie worth a shoulder mount

-To end the season with a cougar!!

Colorado Cowboy
12-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Keep up with my daily workouts so I can have another birthday (71) and keep up with all the young guys!

Draw Wyoming tags for Deer & Antelope.

Draw Colorado Deer and Elk. All depends on Wyoming draw. If I draw Wyoming I won't apply for the Elk.

Finalize my 2013 New Mexico guided elk hunt.

April Texas hunt for pigs and turkey.

Keep shooting Cowboy Action at least twice a month matches & win Colorado State Championship!!

RUTTIN
12-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Those are some good goals. Colorado Cowboy, I hope you win that State Chanpionship.
* Kill a spring gobbler with my bow, spot and stalk

*Kill a spring bear if I draw a tag

*Kill at least a 5 point bull on the archery hunt

The biggest challenge of all

*Draw and archery mule deer tag in my home state, so I can hunt the Wasatch Front in November.

With the way Utah is changing their draw system the mule deer tag may be the biggest goal of all.

floorya
12-20-2011, 09:19 AM
sounds like everybody has some awesome gouls.
mine are...
1.spot and stock mt. color phase bear.
2.shoot another good whitetail
3.sept. alaska self guided caribou with nephew and buddys.
4.(and this is something i have been praying for) FINLEY BREAK MY MULEDEER CURSE AND SHOOT A BIG ONE!!!!!
5.draw a good muley tag so i have a better chance at number 4

Drhorsepower
12-20-2011, 09:57 AM
1-draw a good mule deer tag in nevada
2-draw an elk tag in Nevada
3-OTC archery elk in Oregon
4-swan
5-Cali pig
6- keep playing points game in ore.,nv,ut,wy,co,and az.

If I hit 1 of the first 3 I will be happy.

I'm surprised the guys up north do not have a wolf on their list!

I'm jealous floorya of you caribou adventure you have planned. That is on the all time list. Along with the whitetail.

sethkuhl
12-20-2011, 11:00 AM
1. Draw a tag and Shoot a turkey in the spring.
2. Shoot another bear with my bow in the spring.
3. Finally hit the bow fishing right and hammer the carp!
4. Shoot a small bull elk in archery (this years is too chewy!) same day Shoot a wolf.
5. Shoot a nice whitetail last day in the evening to make my season last as long as possible.
6. Hunt waterfowl and pheasant until my freezers are full.
7. Help all of my friends kill their wolves.
8. Start steelhead fishing earlier than I am this year!

floorya
12-20-2011, 08:26 PM
1. Draw a tag and Shoot a turkey in the spring.
2. Shoot another bear with my bow in the spring.
3. Finally hit the bow fishing right and hammer the carp!
4. Shoot a small bull elk in archery (this years is too chewy!) same day Shoot a wolf.
5. Shoot a nice whitetail last day in the evening to make my season last as long as possible.
6. Hunt waterfowl and pheasant until my freezers are full.
7. Help all of my friends kill their wolves.
8. Start steelhead fishing earlier than I am this year!

i like your plan:)

mtmuley
12-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Aahh 2012. Here is my list of things to do.
I want to spend the the winter hunting coyotes until spring bear. i would like to kill a bear in the spring. Spend the summer fishing and scouting for elk. Draw an antelope tag in a decent area. I would like revenge on the bull elk that snuck up on me and bugled in my ear at 10 yards last year and then gave me a shot at 35 yards in which i shaved his back for him. Then i would like to spend some quality time hunting for upland and waterfowl. Finally i would like to shoot a respectable mule deer. And to end the year i would like to be back on the praire to kill some more dogs. Sounds like a great year for me.

brandenbowhunter
12-31-2011, 12:17 PM
have as good of season as the last three have been...or half the season of them...will be happy.
Not to have a big bowl of tag soup :)
I don't even know if I want another spring bear for awhile...unless it is huge.
Turkey...sure
antelope buck with my bow...number 10 in a row!
mule deer not is velvet this year...
bull with my bow
Ram in an unlimited area...beat the crowds
wolf for sure
have fun

Ikeepitcold
12-31-2011, 12:32 PM
I want to draw as many tags as possible for myself and for my wife to draw tags too. Get in better shape for this years hunts then I did for the last years.

Old Hunter
12-31-2011, 06:52 PM
My plans are simple.

Kill another elk, and eat it.

jenbickel
12-31-2011, 08:03 PM
I have a lot of plans..
1. Spring turkey
2. Spring Bear
3. Antelope
4. Elk in Wyoming and Montana
5. Mule deer in Wyoming
6. Whitetail in Montana
7. Enter in a few fishing competitions
8. Definitely get into better shape
I'm sure there are more.. but that all sounds exhausting just typing it! :)

fox30buck
12-31-2011, 09:57 PM
-130+ inch buck with a bow in PA
-130+ inch buck with a bow in OH
-3+ year old PA spring gobbler
-3+ year old OH spring gobbler
-accumulate more points in Co & Wy
-Purchase some new hunting property

Good luck to everyone this year!

Maxhunter
01-01-2012, 08:46 AM
1. Brown Bear (Alaska 2nd trip)
2. Caribou (Alaska)
3. Sitka Blacktails (Alaska)
4. Mule Deer (Utah)
5. Elk (Utah)

All with a bow of course!

T43
01-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Wolf
Bear
Antelope
Elk
Muley
Wolf
Hopefully in that order and hopefully most with a bow.

feathercast
01-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Bear in MI & Mule deer in Nebraska or Colorado.

Bitterroot Bulls
01-01-2012, 09:16 PM
My goal is to finally draw a gol-darned moose/sheep/goat tag in MT!

I am sitting on plenty of points.

Maybe this is the year.

indianw
01-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Cont. Running and cross training
Draw another Elk tag in Colorado
PP for deer in Colorado
lottery for New Mexico Elk
Blacktail Wilderness Northern California

Umpqua Hunter
01-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Unless we hit on a big out of state tag, I'll probably stay close to home in SW Oregon this fall so.....

1) Get really proficient with our muzzleloaders and learn a brand new Blacktail deer area that my wife should draw this fall (and I have a good chance of drawing too). This hunt has good deer hunting with a muzzleloader during the rut, and will likely become our go to unit in the years to come, so I want to invest the time to learn it well.

2) For out-of-state hunt applications my main goal is to get my wife on a quality bull elk hunt....but she is just getting started with two points in most states.

3) Take a mature Roosevelt bull with my bow in SW Oregon where I live.

4) "Hunt" for big chinook salmon near home.... these guys are almost as fun as big game hunting :)

(P.S. The spell checker on here kept changing Blacktail to Blackmail...that would have made an interesting post....lol)

turkey23
01-02-2012, 05:39 PM
1. Have a good steelhead season with the fly rod
2. Have my daughter catch her first steelhead on a fly rod
3. Get a turkey and then go after a second
4. Have our group of 4 rookie antelope hunters get tags and smoke 4 goats
5. Take another whitetail with my bow
6. Get my first bear (longest shot of them all)

Ranchhand02
01-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I would like to go on an out of state hunt for mule deer or antelope.

CamoMulie
01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Bag a Spring Black Bear
Spring Turkey
Muzzelloader Blacktail
Just see an Elk during the season
Draw My second Antelope tag.

HuntWYODon
01-05-2012, 04:18 PM
I have faith you will be drawn for antelope and deer in Wy. and 1st choices .

trkytrack2
01-06-2012, 04:31 PM
See that my three children get their hunter safety cards so that they will be able to hunt this year. Then take them elk, deer and antelope hunting, archery and maybe rifle.

xtreme
01-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Spring Bear, over 300 lbs and color phased red. I have already seen the one I want. Colorado Mule deer, I have points and will be 70 years old, better get them used up, maybe in unit 55. Nebraska mule and whitetail deer. Maybe some better health this year for me and my wife. I had a tag for mule deer in new mexico and drove to there only to recieve a phone call telling me my wife had a stroke, she since had very sevier lung surgery at the Mayo. I had by-pass and then an anuerism surgery. I killed my bear eight days affter anuerism surgery.

Old Hunter
01-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Spring Bear, over 300 lbs and color phased red. I have already seen the one I want. Colorado Mule deer, I have points and will be 70 years old, better get them used up, maybe in unit 55. Nebraska mule and whitetail deer. Maybe some better health this year for me and my wife. I had a tag for mule deer in new mexico and drove to there only to recieve a phone call telling me my wife had a stroke, she since had very sevier lung surgery at the Mayo. I had by-pass and then an anuerism surgery. I killed my bear eight days affter anuerism surgery.

Unit 55 can get pretty ugly in rifle seasons. Tons of hunters and ATV's.

Conrad8899
01-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Just deer and elk points in Co and Wy. Hunt my home state of Pa. hope fully my wife can bag her first whitetail with her bow.

Grizz
01-12-2012, 12:37 PM
All worthy goals gentlemen, very nice! As for me? Here goes!

1. Kill 6x6 bull with my new Z7-Extreme
2. Kill 80" Pronhorn; bow or rifle
3. Kill first Mule Deer... nothing but Whitetails for me as I've never put in the time to find a decent Mulie.
4. Fill turkey tags WITH my family and buddies!
5. Kill spring bear with bow; spot and stalk!
6. Draw Moose tag and kill a good bull; archery or rifle

Obviously, any tag draws change everything but goals are goals right? Best luck gentlemen!

Fish
01-17-2012, 04:54 PM
1. Draw a moose, sheep or goat tag in WA
2. Draw a special tag for WA deer or elk and kill a good animal
3. Draw WA spring bear
4. Draw a good antelope area in WY with no points.
5. Cow elk in WY if I don't draw in WA.

RGA 4x4
01-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Spring Turkey. Hopefully get both of my daughters a turkey.
Spend the summer conditioning.
Archery blacktail late summer in Cali.
Idaho archery elk.
Late season rifle hunt G1 in Cali.

Highcountry Dreams
01-18-2012, 02:48 AM
Arizona Archery Mule Deer
Spring/Summer flyfishing
Wyoming Antelope and Mule Deer
Colorado Mule Deer
Texas Whitetail and Hog

Classic358
01-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Always Fly Fishing and acquiring Bonus points. In 2012 it looks similar to 2011.

AZ Elk
MT ELK/DEER
OR - Draw Elk/OTC Elk
WA - Sheep, Goat and Moose
WY - MD
ID - OTC Elk
WA - Draw Elk, MD & Bear

Jon Boy
01-20-2012, 01:54 AM
My number one goal is to shoot my first elk. I really need to get my first one out of the way, I feel as soon as the first ones out of the way it will get easier. There will be no excuses this year (other than school) Also id like to get a mature 4x4 mule deer.

Old Hunter
01-20-2012, 09:15 AM
My number one goal is to shoot my first elk. I really need to get my first one out of the way, I feel as soon as the first ones out of the way it will get easier. There will be no excuses this year (other than school) Also id like to get a mature 4x4 mule deer.

I'm not sure it will get easier after your first elk. It didn't for me.

I also think a mature mule deer is harder to get than a bull elk. In Colorado anyway.

HuskyMusky
01-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Pretty much the same every year, go out west, be successful.

Shoot a whitetail worth mounting.

Usually neither happens.

The plan is to take my 1st elk with a bow this fall in MT. I have faith this is the year though, assuming I draw the tag!

As for the whitetail, I'm not shooting anything under 150" with my bow, so it's kinda a cross of the finger.

mconway951
01-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Hey guys im new here but here is my list for 2012

take a spring bear in either ID or MT pref color phase
Take a spring turkey in MN and Wi again this year
take my first bull elk on either my ID elk hunt or my CO elk hunt
take another personal best Antelope this year i have only shot 2
Do my first ever backpack style hunt and survive for 7 days in wilderness

Not much of a list but will be a challenge for me.

Drhorsepower
01-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Hey guys im new here but here is my list for 2012

take a spring bear in either ID or MT pref color phase
Take a spring turkey in MN and Wi again this year
take my first bull elk on either my ID elk hunt or my CO elk hunt
take another personal best Antelope this year i have only shot 2
Do my first ever backpack style hunt and survive for 7 days in wilderness

Not much of a list but will be a challenge for me.

Welcome, that's a great list!

cacklercrazy
01-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Hunt more and kill more critters with my bow!:)

Joe Hulburt
01-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Hunt more and kill more critters with my bow!:)

Always a good goal! :)

Jon Boy
01-30-2012, 12:10 AM
I'm not sure it will get easier after your first elk. It didn't for me.

I also think a mature mule deer is harder to get than a bull elk. In Colorado anyway.

Well I guess its either different up here or im a better deer hunter than elk hunter or both. Ive had my chances at big bucks but I have only had one chance at an elk and it was a remote chance at that. I will meet both of my goals this year regardless.

Old Hunter
01-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Well I guess its either different up here or im a better deer hunter than elk hunter or both. Ive had my chances at big bucks but I have only had one chance at an elk and it was a remote chance at that. I will meet both of my goals this year regardless.

We have more elk, and less mature bucks. At least in my unit. Elk get stupid during the rut. I don't hunt bucks during the rut, and they haven't gotten stupid yet. They are up above treeline, and are pretty clever.

So, it comes down to when they are hunted, and how many there are. I've had others tell me that bucks are a tough hunt compared to elk, but of course it depends on conditions. The key word is mature buck. Those old boys didn't get old by being stupid.

HuskyMusky
01-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Anyone else feel like elk in the rut is almost tougher than pre rut elk? Sure you hear more bulls and see more, but often times they're with a bunch of cows, which means more eyes more noses, and tougher to get a shot or pull a bull away from his herd. Most mags tell you the rut is the time to nail a big bull, but I almost feel pre rut is the time.

Old Hunter
01-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Anyone else feel like elk in the rut is almost tougher than pre rut elk? Sure you hear more bulls and see more, but often times they're with a bunch of cows, which means more eyes more noses, and tougher to get a shot or pull a bull away from his herd. Most mags tell you the rut is the time to nail a big bull, but I almost feel pre rut is the time.

They still have the girls in mind during the pre rut. It's during the post rut and later rifle seasons that it gets tougher. Hard to call them in. I find hunting rifle seasons harder than the muzzleloader season. I wish I was a bow hunter. I like that month long season.

HuskyMusky
01-30-2012, 02:17 PM
They still have the girls in mind during the pre rut. It's during the post rut and later rifle seasons that it gets tougher. Hard to call them in. I find hunting rifle seasons harder than the muzzleloader season. I wish I was a bow hunter. I like that month long season.

doesn't take much to learn...

it's really not complicated if that's the concern.

My only recommendation is go to a real pro shop for archery not a big box store, they'll show you the ropes for sure.

Old Hunter
01-30-2012, 02:21 PM
doesn't take much to learn...

it's really not complicated if that's the concern.

My only recommendation is go to a real pro shop for archery not a big box store, they'll show you the ropes for sure.

Not so much that as a bum shoulder. That's why I set up my .270 for a soft recoil. I shot a bow a lot when I was young, but never went hunting. I wish I had now.

jjenness
02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Everyone has some awsome goals. Here's my archery goals.

1) Get into better shape than I was last year, so I can push myself harder and longer on backcountry hunts.
2) Spot and stalk a spring black bear.
3) Spot and stalk a PY mountain mulie.
4) Spot and stalk an antelope buck with my bow. Would be my 3rd spot and stalk goat with archery.
5) Let the smaller bulls walk, and kill my biggest bull to date.
6) Have my 7 year old son with me on as many of these hunts as possible.

Colorado Cowboy
02-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Just sent off all my applications for this year.
Colorado - Antelope (11 pts, hope to get a draw); Late season Rifle Deer; Muzzleloading Either Sex Elk. I have enough pts for both.

Wyoming - Antelope Buck & 2 Does (group application with a hunting buddy from Calif) We have enough Pts to draw these too.

Should be able to fill the freezer!

Colorado Desert Sheep tag sent off a couple of days ago.....would trade all of the others for this one!!

Zim
02-11-2012, 11:45 PM
I love elk hunting but I put my 4th big bull on the wall last year and that's enough. So my goal for this year is to take on new challenges. This is a big reason I applied for a Utah archery mule deer hunt and should draw with 15 points. And hope to draw a good tag I could combo with. I have piles of points all over. Need to burn one of these each year from now on.

HuntinFool
02-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Hey Zim, which unit did you put in for? With 15 you should be almost guaranteed for any tag besides the Henrys.

Zim
02-13-2012, 11:38 AM
HF,

I applied for the Paunsagunt archery hunt and should draw it. After studying the draw odds and guys in my point pools it could be 5-6 years before I could draw a NR mzl or rifle there. THERE ARE SEVERAL OTHER REASONS: I prefer the challenge of archery; From what I gathered I should see a lot of bucks; I can take off the entire 4 weeks to take my time and get an opportunity; I normally have no hunts in August, so this would extend my hunting opportunity for the year; I like the fact I can hunt two different environments, high conifer or low desert; Not as big an advantage to having a posse for this hunt as opposed to the firearm hunts. I will be solo: And last but not least, SFW could return to steal more NR tags and screw me for ever if I don't burn my points now.

Ken

HuntinFool
02-14-2012, 01:58 PM
You should have a fun hunt, there are a lot of bucks down there, and no kidding about SFW.

dustyboots
02-14-2012, 03:15 PM
1. Archery turkey
2. Archery mule deer or blacktail in CA
3. Archery elk in CO/NM/OR
4. do more 3-d shoots this year
5. Shoot anything else I can draw a tag for

ICEMAN3
02-20-2012, 12:13 AM
2012 goals
1. kill my first bear during spring bear season (rifle or bow)
2. learn my new hunting area that i currently just moved to
3. kill a roosevelt bull or kill rocky mt. bull when i travel back to my side of Oregon (bow)
4. kill a respectable buck either a blacktail or a muley (bow)
5. help my wife kill her first animal with a bow
6. help guide my friends to some archery elk opportunitites in eastern oregon
7. Learn about other states and start applying for an out of state tag in 2013
8. "biggest one" get all of my kills, wifes and friends kills on film for my crews dvd we would like to come out with. My crew is Twisted Addiction and we would love to become a hunting show but at the moment want to produce a dvd first.

MT Muley
02-22-2012, 10:45 PM
My goal is to find a good mule deer buck during the summer months in the high country, and then kill him with my bow. I would really like to find something in the 170+ region, but this will be a very tall order in an over the counter region.

Fink
02-23-2012, 08:39 AM
2012 Goals:
1: Get in good enough shape to do my fist back country hunt.. 9 straight days is going to be tough
2: Draw my NM elk tag, and stick my first bull.
3: If I don't draw the NM tag, try stick a bull in CO
4: Shoot at least one of my KS spring turkeys with a bow, if not both of them.
5: Shoot both of my MO turkeys
6: Shoot a 140+ whitetail with my bow
7: Shoot a 150+ whitetail with a gun
8: Watch my lab puppy make her first of many retrieves.

BKC
02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm using 21 resident elk preference points in Colo. this year. 350 B&C or bigger I will also hunt deer and antelope, but if nothing else happens and I only get a good elk I will be perfectly happy

BKC
02-23-2012, 04:42 PM
A 350 B&C elk! I know that is thinking big but I am using my 21 pref points for colorado elk, I have waited many years and scouted a lot of land to decide what is best for me. If I had to do it again I probably wouldn't wait this long, but that is the point chasing game here in colorado. Mule deer and whitetail on the eastern plains is always on my table but I would easily go home empty handed on these hunts if I tag out on a quality elk

Timberstalker
02-23-2012, 06:14 PM
1. Kill a good Mule deer with my bow (general tag)
2. Kill a branch bull in the Cascades with my rifle (general tag)
3. Take my 12 yr old step daughter on her fisrt deer hunt and guide her to her fist buck
4. Hope I get a call from whomever draws the Bighorn tag this year where I drew last year so maybe I can go again!
5. Add one more PP for 2013 currently 3 deer, 0 elk and 14 speed goat
6. Start looking for my 2013 speed goat
All Oregon stuff, no out of state stuff for me yet