PDA

View Full Version : Advice for 6 Elk pref points 2012

pcc2b
12-20-2011, 12:16 PM
I will have 6 points going into next years draw for Elk. I am an out-of-stater looking for advice on units to put in for. I plan on bowhunting the rut. Backcountry pack in, elevation and terrain is not a factor. Just looking for good public land with big elk and opportunity(I know...whos not looking for this). The past few years I have put in for unit 7, but according to the MRS section, that may not be my best bet. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

NDHunter
12-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Heres my advice: apply with me and we'll split your points!

pcc2b
12-20-2011, 05:57 PM
You put me on a deer like you have as your profile pic and we may have a deal :)

buckbull
12-20-2011, 06:39 PM
I'd think with 6 points you could pick most green units, and possibly a few blue chip units. I'd glued to the recent wyoming MRS in the latest eastmans magazine.

MOHunter
12-20-2011, 07:01 PM
pcc2b, I've been researching WY like crazy over the past few months. I sure wish I was sitting on some points like you are. I'm steering clear of the entire western side of the state due to wolves. For hardcore archery hunters I've heard some great things about the bighorns in the north-central part of the state. I've never hunted them, but units 38 and 45 get great reviews. Last year those with 5 points got tags, so it may be perfect for your situation. That's probably where I'd head if I was in your shoes.

NDHunter
12-21-2011, 07:41 AM
You put me on a deer like you have as your profile pic and we may have a deal :)

Hmmmmmmm. I shot that buck with my bow on public land on an OTC tag so I could easily take you there. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

jenbickel
12-21-2011, 09:04 AM
pcc2b, I've been researching WY like crazy over the past few months. I sure wish I was sitting on some points like you are. I'm steering clear of the entire western side of the state due to wolves. For hardcore archery hunters I've heard some great things about the bighorns in the north-central part of the state. I've never hunted them, but units 38 and 45 get great reviews. Last year those with 5 points got tags, so it may be perfect for your situation. That's probably where I'd head if I was in your shoes.

I agree, 38 and 45 are great units to hunt.

Colorado Cowboy
12-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Do your research, especially the MRS. I burned all my 6 pts on a unsuccessful hunt in a previously great wilderness hunt area. It has been really effected by wolves. After I got home I checked back in back issues of the Hunting Journal and that fact was mentioned. Historically this type of hunt has been a great choice for those who like wilderness packin hunts, but no more. I had been hoarding points since they started the program and had been applying every year for unit 100. I'm 70 now and will never get to hunt elk there.

WhskyDistiller
12-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Every elk tag issued should include a free wolf tag. Those sob are everywhere.

Umpqua Hunter
12-25-2011, 03:26 AM
Call Charlie Bean who owns Bullseye Archery in Laramie Wyoming and ask him about Unit 7. I am from Oregon and met him and his son Michael on my Wyoming mule deer hunt this past fall. They both strongly recommended Unit 7 for archery. You would likely draw Unit 7 this coming year.

kcaves
12-25-2011, 10:03 AM
theres a lot of elk in unit 7, but not a lot of public land to hunt, and its not an area where u can just take off walking and end up 20 miles in the backcountry, well legally anyway, its getting tougher and tougher to get an elk up there, just because of how many people are up there

pcc2b
12-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Call Charlie Bean who owns Bullseye Archery in Laramie Wyoming and ask him about Unit 7. I am from Oregon and met him and his son Michael on my Wyoming mule deer hunt this past fall. They both strongly recommended Unit 7 for archery. You would likely draw Unit 7 this coming year.

Thanks so much for the tip!

wileywapiti
12-29-2011, 03:01 PM
yes, please stay away from the western side of the state.... ha ha ha. i only kid because i hunt the western side. remember, there is quality elk hunting on the west side, that does not include wolves. not all of that side is timbered.....if not over half is desert and I have yet to see a wolf while hunting any of the desert.

good luck to you.