PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Outfitter/Pack In Question Unit 66 or 67

poppapump
12-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Any comments good/bad on Mineral Mountain Outfitters or Cadwell Outfitters in Colorado? Looking at just pack in and out. PM's are fine also.

Thank you in advance!

kurtski25
12-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Elk or deer and which season?

poppapump
12-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Elk and Bow season. Have the points to draw. Thanks for your help!!!

kurtski25
12-27-2011, 05:31 PM
I was in unit 66 for the 3rd rifle last year. I probably saw close to 100 elk on opening morning in the Powderhorn Wilderness area. There were 5 or 6 decent bulls in the group...however, I don't know how much this helps you because the snow had probably pushed some of the elk down. I'm sorry I can't help you with the outfitters, as I only saw Indian Creek Outfitters and they had a pretty good location for late season elk. I saw a lot of elk in my 5 days of hunting in the south end of unit 66, so you'll probably see lots of elk, but I can't help you with an estimate of the quality of the elk or where they might be in September.
Best of luck,
Kurt

poppapump
12-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks for your response and help!!!!

nylogger
12-28-2011, 05:19 PM
sent you a pm

sheephunter
01-29-2012, 06:18 PM
I rented horses and a wrangler from Mineral Mountain when I went sheep hunting. I didn't need or want guided and made sure he knew that. I knew where the rams were at but just couldn't walk/climb that far. After John saw what I wanted he was able able to help me out and I feel he treated me fairly. That was 9 years ago.

grok34
02-22-2012, 04:38 PM
I also have points to draw 66 this year but not vacation so looking for archery or 2nd rifle 2013. I'm also interested in getting a packer or drop camp but not guided. If you get any good information I'd appreciate if you passed it on
Thanks
Tim
hoyt97@hotmail.com

grok34
12-26-2012, 01:08 PM
I am going to draw 1st rifle elk in colorado next fall 13. Well at least according to last years points I should. Was wondering how you ended up doing in 11 or 12? I'm looking at hiking into a roadless or wilderness area. Id like to get 4-6 miles away from roads. Don't want to pay for fully guided but would be very willing to pay outfitter to pack out meat if I get one down. I have packed several elk out on my back in Idaho but would like to save the knees :). Anyway, if you have any good info on where to start looking on my topo and google earth I would appreciate it. I'm looking for meat and good wilderness experience more than big antlers.
Thanks!
Tim Tollefson
hoyt97@hotmail.com