PDA

View Full Version : Youth gun

Ikeepitcold
12-24-2011, 08:27 AM
My 8 year old daughter took her first big game animal this year a doe pronghorn. She used a 223 55 grain bullet and we got to about 100 yards. I think this caliber is to small for big game. She is very comfortable with the recoil and that was the main reason for the choice of this caliber.

Here is my question. I want to move her up to a bigger caliber that will be more affective on big game. Not elk but Mule deer, Whitetail, and pronghorn. I was thinking about a 22-250, 25-06, 6mm. Any thoughts on these calibers or suggestions of others that will be available in a youth model? I don't mind putting on a muzzle break either just don't want her to be scared of the recoil.

Bitterroot Bulls
12-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Remington model 7 youth in 7mm-08. Perfect.

The only problem is you might end up using it more than her.

I think muzzle breaks cause more flinches than they cure in novice shooters due to the extreme muzzle blast.

Drhorsepower
12-24-2011, 10:36 AM
I have a rem 700 my dad bought me when I was a youngster. It is in .243 win. I have a deer load worked up for along with a varmint load that shoot 3800 fps. It's a tack driver. I don't know If Remington still makes a youth model 700 but I think it is perfect youth weapon. The only difference is the stock and a 21" barrel. The action Is the same and when I shoot the barrel out I am going to make it into a full size 6mm Ppc. I am glad my dad bought what he did because of the fact Otis on a legendary action and it can convert to not a youth gun if that makes sense. If he would have bought something else I would have been stuck with a youth model my whole life.

To get a little more back on topic, you can't go wrong with any of the cartridges you listed. I am partial to the 6mm rem though. I think that's what I would shoot personally if I was hunting the animals you listed. Can't hardly beat the 25-06 though! That's another great cartridge. That's my old mans go to weapon! They both have killed plenty of mule deer and antelope!

jenbickel
12-24-2011, 11:45 AM
I have a .257 that I use for deer and antelope. It's not a youth model but it is super flat shootin' and there is basically no recoil and believe me, it will freakin drop any deer or antelope. I've shot a lot of different guns and it is by far my favorite. I will be letting my daughter use it as soon as she is old enough.

Jerry
12-24-2011, 01:26 PM
The Ruger lever action 44 mag is a great first gun for young hunters. It is the perfect size for smaller people. Looks just like the Ruger 10/22 but shoots the 44 mag pistol cartridge. Mine has seen several first time deer! It's not good for more than about a 100 yards but very good for shorter distances!

Conrad8899
12-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Bought my son a rem model 7 243 youth. Cant go wrong with the model 7 in 243 or 7mm-08. I use his 243 for coyotes.

Colorado Cowboy
12-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Years ago when my son turned 11 (back in the mid 70's) I bought him a Remington M600 in .243. A great gun and good caliber for youngsters. Enough pop for deer & antelope and very accurate. He still has it and it still shoots!!

kcaves
12-24-2011, 10:46 PM
My dad bought me a ruger 25-06, problem is, they are a really long rifle, but a great rifle, you can kill elk with em pretty easily so deer and goats shouldn't be an issue

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.768398,-105.400931

CoHiCntry
12-25-2011, 05:42 AM
I went with the Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm 08 for my daughter to use on deer, elk, and antelope. My daughter is petite and started with this gun at age 12. It has the add on stock piece to use as they grow. I'm happy with my decision. She took a cow elk at 130 yds this year, one shot.

Ikeepitcold
12-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanx for all the info. I'm leaning towards the 243. I have shot one for whitetail and I'm thinking it would be a good one for her to move up to. There is a MFG that offers a youth stock and comes with a adult stock with the purchase of the gun so when she out grows the youth stock I will have the other to replace it. Can't remember which one it is but will look at them again.

jay
12-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Remington model 7 youth in 7mm-08. Perfect.

The only problem is you might end up using it more than her.

I think muzzle breaks cause more flinches than they cure in novice shooters due to the extreme muzzle blast.

I got one for my son and it shoots amazing. I'm very impressed with the caliber, especially for being a youth model. BB is right, my son's always telling me "did you buy me that gun or did you buy it for you." Unfortunately I use it more than him!

MOHunter
12-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanx for all the info. I'm leaning towards the 243. I have shot one for whitetail and I'm thinking it would be a good one for her to move up to. There is a MFG that offers a youth stock and comes with a adult stock with the purchase of the gun so when she out grows the youth stock I will have the other to replace it. Can't remember which one it is but will look at them again.

Weatherby used to offer this. Now they sell it with an adjustable stock. However, the sell a "carbine" model that is essentially the old youth gun in the adult stock. It has a shorter barrel. I purchased the carbine in .243 (which I love) and purchased a factory second youth stock from Weatherby for a decent price. There are still some of the old model with 2 stocks floating around if you look a little.

Montana
12-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Don't over look the short mags by browning. i have 25 WSSM for my pack in hunts, super light weight light, short stalk, and short action. 300 yards is it's max effective range, in my opinion at least. They make it in a 243 too. Phenominal caliber and gun.

Ikeepitcold
12-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Don't over look the short mags by browning. i have 25 WSSM for my pack in hunts, super light weight light, short stalk, and short action. 300 yards is it's max effective range, in my opinion at least. They make it in a 243 too. Phenominal caliber and gun.

I've never heard of a 25 wssm. I'll look into it. I have seen wssm before but not the 25. Thanx

Montana
12-28-2011, 08:29 PM
opps... that was supposed to be stock, not stalk:) But check it out, great ballistics.

Bitterroot Bulls
12-28-2011, 08:31 PM
I know i already put in my two cents here, but I want to point out that the 7mm-08 is a much more flexible round. You get a really good selection of bullets available, with better ballistic coefficients than the .243. Recoil is negligable, and downrange energy is much better. It is also a perfectly capable elk round with a good 140 grain bullet.

I shot my first buck with a .243, but my kids will be shooting theirs with a 7-08.

MOHunter
12-29-2011, 06:39 PM
I know i already put in my two cents here, but I want to point out that the 7mm-08 is a much more flexible round. You get a really good selection of bullets available, with better ballistic coefficients than the .243. Recoil is negligable, and downrange energy is much better. It is also a perfectly capable elk round with a good 140 grain bullet.

I shot my first buck with a .243, but my kids will be shooting theirs with a 7-08.

While I love my .243, I have to agree with Bitterroot on this one - especially if you live out west and want to move up to elk. I chose the .243 because I do quite a bit of varmint/predator hunting and I can drop down to a much smaller bullet. I think it's a better option for this kind of versatility, but you mentioned that your daughter shot her deer with a .223 so you already have coyotes covered. The 7/08 won't have much more recoil, but you could move up to shoot elk if you like. If you're just hunting deer and antelope I think they both would be great choices.

Ikeepitcold
12-29-2011, 09:13 PM
While I love my .243, I have to agree with Bitterroot on this one - especially if you live out west and want to move up to elk. I chose the .243 because I do quite a bit of varmint/predator hunting and I can drop down to a much smaller bullet. I think it's a better option for this kind of versatility, but you mentioned that your daughter shot her deer with a .223 so you already have coyotes covered. The 7/08 won't have much more recoil, but you could move up to shoot elk if you like. If you're just hunting deer and antelope I think they both would be great choices.

Yes she would just be hunting Deer and Antelope. Elk will have to be a bigger caliber and much further down the road before she will be ready for that. I have a few 223 ARs that we use for dogs and that is what she used to shoot her Antelope with. 55 grain at 100 yards and dropped her in her tracks. Just what to move her up to a bigger caliber and keep the recoil low as possible. I like the 243 and the 25-06 but have been looking into some of the calibers that have been suggested too.

mtmuley
12-31-2011, 10:14 AM
I would definitely go with the 7mm-08. My mom uses it for everything. She has killed elk, deer and antelope with it at distances over 300 yards. Real solid caliber.

bigshot
02-13-2012, 01:47 PM
I also agree with the 7mm-08, I bought my niece (12 years old) a new Savage Edge youth model, and made some reduced reloads shooting a 120 grn Nosler Ballistic tip at around 2800 fps. That rifle and load is super accurate, it shoots 3-shot half inch groups at 100 yards. The rifle and scope combo only cost approximately $350.00. She shot her first buck this past season with it and the bullet performed perfect, a one shot kill at 200 yards. I will load full power loads for her when she gets older and hunts bigger game.

Ikeepitcold
02-13-2012, 02:20 PM
I also agree with the 7mm-08, I bought my niece (12 years old) a new Savage Edge youth model, and made some reduced reloads shooting a 120 grn Nosler Ballistic tip at around 2800 fps. That rifle and load is super accurate, it shoots 3-shot half inch groups at 100 yards. The rifle and scope combo only cost approximately $350.00. She shot her first buck this past season with it and the bullet performed perfect, a one shot kill at 200 yards. I will load full power loads for her when she gets older and hunts bigger game.

Thanx. Her Bday is coming up so I'm going to take a close look at the 7mm 08

buckbull
02-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Another option would be to buy a youth .308 and start her out with Managed Recoil loads. Managed Recoil loads typically cut recoil by 50% and for a .308 that would probably put it around 8ft-lbs of recoil which is about what a .243 will deliver. When she gets older and bigger she could easily move up to hotter cartridges. If she grows up petite she may never out grow the rifle and she would have a rifle that is good for all big game in the lower 48 assuming she can handle a standard .308 load. 7mm-08 is a great option as well as it delivers about 12ft-lbs of recoil force. Not sure if remington makes managed recoil loads for 7mm-08 or not.

Ikeepitcold
02-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Another option would be to buy a youth .308 and start her out with Managed Recoil loads. Managed Recoil loads typically cut recoil by 50% and for a .308 that would probably put it around 8ft-lbs of recoil which is about what a .243 will deliver. When she gets older and bigger she could easily move up to hotter cartridges. If she grows up petite she may never out grow the rifle and she would have a rifle that is good for all big game in the lower 48 assuming she can handle a standard .308 load. 7mm-08 is a great option as well as it delivers about 12ft-lbs of recoil force. Not sure if remington makes managed recoil loads for 7mm-08 or not.

Wow really interesting. I have never heard of that before. Thanx

bigshot
02-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Here is a picture of my niece with her Savage Edge Youth Rifle in 7mm-08 Caliber. She took her fist buck this past year in the San Bernardino Mtns (Unit D-14) located in southern California. My niece is 12 years, she is small frame and weighs about 80 lbs. She loves her new rifle.

Kevin Root
02-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for all these ideas on the thread. My wife, is very petite. She was in the Army and Navy in her youth but ended up getting a medical discharge in her service in the Army shooting a rifle that threw out her shoulder. She has expressed wanting to shoot with me and try it again, perhaps hunt too. Some of these options mentioned with managed recoil loads, etc seem like it would be a good fit for her without just having her limited to plinking with the .22. Her shoulder has long since healed but I've been leery on her trying something more than a .22 that might cause her to get hurt again.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone as this youth thread is giving me some ideas/options also for my wife.

Fish
02-15-2012, 01:00 PM
A ruger hawkeye in 257 Robert's would be a great rifle for a kid, especially if you hand load for it.

Wyoflightmedic
02-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Look into TC Encore many calibers and weight not to bad