PDA

View Full Version : Note taking?

Drhorsepower
01-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I am curious on different styles folks use on taking notes for different areas? My system needs improvement!

packer58
01-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Dr,

Send me all your notes, marked up maps, photos and gps coordinates. I'll organize them for you and send em back (I promise not to peek) :D

Bitterroot Bulls
01-01-2012, 11:36 PM
I keep notes on my computer.

I don't know what I would do if I lost the data I have in my TOPO! 4.0 software, either.

jenbickel
01-02-2012, 04:15 AM
I take mental notes.. haha I usually hunt about the same area every year and I have a very photographic memory. I will mark on my gps though spots that I want to check out next year.

Colorado Cowboy
01-02-2012, 06:56 AM
I have old topo maps I have used for years. I indicate where I've shot deer (missed too) and where I've seen good ones. I have kept a notebook for 40 years to refresh my memory on what all the dots & colors on the map mean. I also made general notes about what kind of year is...eg. a wet winter, condition of water supply at my camp location, other friends hunting with us, etc. Also how many deer we took and size. For about 20 years we took a 160# cotton scale into camp with us and weighed every deer we shot.

This record is of my families deer hunting in a wilderness area in the High Sierras in California we have hunted for over 60 years. We go to the same camp, use the same packer to get us & our gear into camp.

When I retired and moved to Colorado, I gave everything to my cousin who still runs the trip. I've been back once in 2003. Went then because my Dad wanted to go , said it was his last trip, as he was then 85. he said the 15 mile horseback ride was too hard. Tomorrow Dad celebrates his 94th year!

Umpqua Hunter
01-02-2012, 09:51 AM
To preface, 90% of my hunting is on limited entry hunts. I may only hunt that tag or unit once, so I am always gathering and organizing info on hunts I hope to hunt in the next 20 years.

My main tool is a Word document (nearly 700 pages...no you can't have a copy....lol). I organize info by state, then specie, then unit number, then the date of entry. For example:

Colorado:

Colorado: Elk: Unit 55:

2010: Joe the taxidermist in Gunnison told me there is a wedge of public land to hunt on the south end of NoName Ridge just above the ABC Ranch.

2011: Saw heard of 40 elk with two bulls on the south end of NoName Ridge at GPS coordinates (#####, ######)

Any time I learn ANYTHING of interest about a hunting unit, I type it in there. If run across a good post I cut and paste it in there. If someone tells me something about an area, I will email myself and cut it and paste it in there. I also insert photos of game for the unit, which helps me see what kind of genetics and trophy quality a unit has in it.

I also keep an Excel sheet of the very best GPS coordinates with notes of what was there (glassing spots, watering holes, game sightings, camping spots, etc.). Often these units I will never hunt again, and I can share the info with another hunter.

I have paper maps and Google Earth marked up extensively. I have started carrying my laptop in my pick-up on hunts and add new spots to it each day. That gives me a visual of what I am learning.

Finally, to plan my hunt applications, I keep an Excel document with all of the hunts I am applying for. It is organized by date (the date the applications are due or the date the draw comes out) so I can stay on top of my apps. I list each specific hunt I applying for, the points I have for that hunt, and the year I think I will draw (so I can plan hunts 5 to 10 years out). I also put in the draw odds on each hunt and have it calculate my overall draw odds in a given year so I can see if I will likely draw one tag (around 100% total of all the hunts applied for), or may draw too many tags (for example a 400% total means I'll likely draw 4 hunts), so I can make adjustments accordingly.

Montana
01-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Dr,

Send me all your notes, marked up maps, photos and gps coordinates. I'll organize them for you and send em back (I promise not to peek) :D

Thats funny:)

BobcatJerry
01-03-2012, 11:01 PM
I keep notes when whitetail hunting and anything goes in there that I want. I like to write my thoughts and describe what happens while in the stand, what the day was like, what the squirrels did, unusual things, moon phases and things like that. I bought a write in the rain tablet suggested by Mike Eastman in one of his books. It is as much a journal/diary as notes (lots of notes too). It's fun to read some of the things i wrote two years ago or what I did on a particular day. Like why I missed the shot etc... Takes the edge off of a long day in the stand.

Umpqua, I tried to look up no name ridge and ABC ranch...no luck.:) I like your idea with Word and Excel. I'll have to give it a try.

Drhorsepower
01-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Hey cc tell your dad happy birthday!

Colorado Cowboy
01-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Thanks, I'll do that. Talked to him on the phone and he sounded great. Leave Sunday. After 3 days with him and my sisters, then on to Yuma for a big invitational cowboy action shoot. 200 shooters, will be a blast! Was 2nd last year, should have won, but had a brain fart on one of the stages that cost me 5 secs. lost by 2 secs!!!