PDA

View Full Version : Info. for N. Cache unit?

Full Draw
01-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Just looking for some information for limited-entry elk in this unit. Will not be trying to draw this year but maybe next. Trying to research everything out that I can and get some starting points. Will probably take a weeks vacation this summer and hike into a few areas. Mainly looking at the Naomi and Cherry Peak areas. What are the trails like? Is this area pretty crowded during the archery season? Thanks in advance!

300Weatherby
01-10-2012, 10:41 AM
the trails is that area are pretty nice. its some awesome looking country, but it gets hunted pretty hard during archery. the limited-entry runs the same time as the archery spike tag (our general tag) and archery deer. there will be people up on horses you might be able to get off the trails and away from people. good luck

Full Draw
01-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the info!

gon4elk
01-10-2012, 04:51 PM
The North Cache Archery LE Elk tag is the toughest, lowest success tag here in Utah as far as LE goes. I'd reconsider. If your dead set on it. Come in from Franklin Basin, Tony Grove area etc etc. Most of the access point are here and yes people but if you get off the beaten path..... I live by this Unit and it's not known for being a great hunt as far as quality and success. One or two big ones get it but few and far between for what most expect out of an LE tag.

Full Draw
01-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Toughest as in drawing the tag or terrain? What about S. Cache? Are the herd numbers and quality of bulls any better? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to not stumble around blind looking for a starting point!

300Weatherby
01-11-2012, 12:18 PM
i think he means toughest in finding a big mature bull. south cache herd might be a little better in numbers. there is ALOT more country to hunt. i have seen some pretty nice bulls on the winter range that came out of the south side (when there is snow). the unit is harder to draw out. if it was me i would put in for the south side.

gon4elk where in cache valley do you live?

gon4elk
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
300 - I live in Hyde Park

If I were to pick between North or South it would be the South side. Course there's a lot of roads and no shortage of ATV's on that side There'a a reason it's a 1 in3 chance to pull a tag as a non res on the North side. Very low success - 2010 = 17% and 2009 19%. Still dang good % for archery and on elk but not what folks expect on an LE hunt.
Refer to your MRS if you just got the latest EBJ, Utah data is included. If your dead set on Archery I'd look at Manti or Wasatch. Lot of country and a ton of elk, reasonable chance at a good one too.

Full Draw
01-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the info guys every little bit helps!

backstraps
01-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Full draw the fellas have it right.

Tag soup and small bulls are the norm and not the exception.