PDA

View Full Version : West Elk

moeleo
01-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Anyone have any info on the West Elk Wilderness? I've never been there but am thinking about trying to do some bowhunting there this upcoming archery season. I could use any tips or advice on that particular area that you would like to share. Actually, any advice or tips for that matter...

Conrad8899
01-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Moeleo. There are sum elk in there. It is pretty rough country if you are going into the wilderness. You can get away from the presure in archery season. Are you planing a back pack hunt? I dont no were you are from. I am from Nw Pa. My first year,I thought I was in pretty good shape. I was wrong. Are you going alone?

Doe Nob
01-16-2012, 04:24 PM
We rifle hunted 54 last year. I'd recommend a drop camp unless you are in serious ass kicking shape. Tenderfoot runs drop camps on the east side, Eagle Mountain runs em on the west side. You can send me a PM if you have specific questions.

boomerbull
03-26-2012, 01:40 PM
I have hunted the hunted in West Elk wilderness around Rainbow Lake. Seen elk both times that we hunted. Got a cow on first trip. Like everyone said get into shape. It is very steep and rugged. I stopped hunting the area because there were to many people in that area. Most were on horses and we were on foot. Can't compete. I would suggest hunting opening week. I don't think there is as many people there yet. Good luck.