PDA

View Full Version : Best time for Archery Elk in MT??

jimmyk
01-14-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm looking at booking a hunt with an outfitter in Montana for this upcoming Archery season. The difficulty I am having is determining which week in September to go and what area (401 or 455).

I've also heard that it is best to go prerut where the bulls are starting to gather up cows as opposed to peak where their herds are already established. All advice is appreciated.

Bitterroot Bulls
01-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Pre-rut or mid-rut, you can still get on big bulls. The techniques might be different. I would spend your energy on finding the best outfitter you can. Check their references, and find out when the clients had the best success, and with which guide.

jimmyk
01-14-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm quite sure of the outfitter, its just the dates and which ranch that I need to narrow down. All of their references have been very promising thus far. I've heard great things about the guides as well.

Thanks,

Bitterroot Bulls
01-14-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm quite sure of the outfitter, its just the dates and which ranch that I need to narrow down. All of their references have been very promising thus far. I've heard great things about the guides as well.

Thanks,

Well if you are hunting private land in those units, early season hunting can be the most productive setting up on daily routes to and from feeding and bedding areas. Calling on less-pressured elk can be very exciting during the peak rut, mid-Sept.

jimmyk
01-14-2012, 10:13 PM
I had 2-7 September in mind, but wasn't sure. Yes, it would more than likely be private land.

Maxhunter
01-15-2012, 05:45 AM
I never hunted elk in Montana but I really like to hunt from the 10 thru the end of September in Wyoming. The elk are really active around that time frame.

jimmyk
01-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Looks like it is going to be area 445, 18-23 September. Can't wait!

elk*hunter
01-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Sounds like you did a lot of the leg work already, I will echo what Bitterroot was saying that your odds will be good on private land and you should even be able to pattern them enough to set up a good ambush. If the outfitter is squared away that scouting should be done prior to your arrival. Good luck!

jimmyk
01-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks! I hope to get one that is close to the sheds you have in your avatar!

Futboler
01-18-2012, 10:48 PM
I feel like the unseasonably warm early Sept. weather the last couple years makes things hit or miss for the first 2 weeks at least. The elk I've been after in Region 4 just weren't active. From the 18th on, things were really good especially if some moisture set in. I've shot my last 2 bulls right after the 20th in '10 and '11. 18th-23th sounds like a good timeframe to me.

jimmyk
01-19-2012, 10:23 AM
That's good news to me! I may get there a day or two early and try to fish the Missouri river. Also, I plan on getting a deer tag just in case, although I'm not sure about the deer hunting in that area.