PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a slider sight for spot and stalk?

RobinHood
01-16-2012, 02:41 PM
I just picked up a HHA Slider sight for free. I have never paid too much attention to sliders, but since it was free, I thought I would ask...

Here is the sight I picked up
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/PhillyB14/sight.jpg

Anyone using this style out west for spot and stalk hunting? Or is the majority using traditional fixed sights?

OR Archer
01-16-2012, 03:04 PM
This year Ill be using a slider sight but it has a 5 pin head on it. Its a Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg. I dont think I could use a single pin unless I was strictly tree stand hunting.

Grantbvfd
01-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Fixed. One less thing I have to worry about before the shot. Animals move around and if you are tryin to minimize movement a slider could be a pain. If you are expecting a 30 yard shot and it turns into a 40 you may have issues.

I have a couple buddies that use sliders and love them. It definitely can be done if that's what you feel comfortable with. One nice thing is you won't get your pins mixed up!

Jon Boy
01-16-2012, 04:23 PM
One nice thing is you won't get your pins mixed up!

Ive done that before lol

Grantbvfd
01-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Ive done that before lol

I think every bowhunter has. Missed a buck of a lifetime 2 years ago because of it. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying.

Joe Hulburt
01-16-2012, 07:12 PM
I just picked up a HHA Slider sight for free. I have never paid too much attention to sliders, but since it was free, I thought I would ask...

Here is the sight I picked up
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/PhillyB14/sight.jpg

Anyone using this style out west for spot and stalk hunting? Or is the majority using traditional fixed sights?

I've been using a HHA for 7 seasons and I hunt spot and stalk or calling 98% of the time. I set mine at 30 yards and know to hold a little low (2 inches) at 20 and a little high (4 inches) at 40. Anything past 40 I take the time to adjust the sight. Shot my 2010 bull thru the center of the heart at 55 yards after ranging him and setting the sight. Shot my 2011 bull thru both lungs at 30 without having to move anything.

Of the 20 or so elk I have killed with my bow the average shot "out west" has been 27 yards so the system works well for me! I prefer the uncluttered sight view and so far the sight has been tough as nails. Never had a problem with it.

The biggest drawback in my opinion is that is your adjust anything on your bow re-sighting in is more complicated than just moving pins at each yardage. There are some cool computer programs that would make it a lot easier but I have yet to go that route....probably will soon!

ontarget7
01-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm using the CBE Tek Hunter and liking it a lot. I will say going to a single pin slider will take a few month to get really efficient with it.

Maxhunter
01-17-2012, 06:37 AM
I've been using a HHA for 7 seasons and I hunt spot and stalk or calling 98% of the time. I set mine at 30 yards and know to hold a little low (2 inches) at 20 and a little high (4 inches) at 40. Anything past 40 I take the time to adjust the sight. Shot my 2010 bull thru the center of the heart at 55 yards after ranging him and setting the sight. Shot my 2011 bull thru both lungs at 30 without having to move anything.

Of the 20 or so elk I have killed with my bow the average shot "out west" has been 27 yards so the system works well for me! I prefer the uncluttered sight view and so far the sight has been tough as nails. Never had a problem with it.

The biggest drawback in my opinion is that is your adjust anything on your bow re-sighting in is more complicated than just moving pins at each yardage. There are some cool computer programs that would make it a lot easier but I have yet to go that route....probably will soon!

I've been using one for 6 seasons and wish I would have switched years ago! I set mine at 35yds and am good to go from 0-40 just requires a little compensation. I like the uncluttered view also!

brandenbowhunter
01-18-2012, 09:14 PM
I have the Black Gold Ascent sight with 5 pins fixed...love it!

pronghorn
01-20-2012, 09:56 AM
I have used a single pin CBE for years. They are a great sight and allow you to dial in the exact distance.

Jerry
01-20-2012, 11:56 AM

I'm with Joe! I love my single pin slider, and use it the same way he does!