PDA

View Full Version : Handheld releases for bowhunting

cali_hornhunter
01-16-2012, 08:14 PM
i was just curious if anyone shoots handheld thumb releases or backtension for bowhunting and what they would reccomend thanks

Maxhunter
01-17-2012, 05:44 AM
I use a Carter Ember 1. There are quite a few good handheld release makers, but Carter's craftsmanship and quality is No1 IMO. Most tournament archers use them because there's no trigger travel and they adjust easily.

http://www.carterenterprises.com/

H3Dad
01-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Maxhunter is definitely sending you in the right direction. Carter releases are king in my opinion. The Carter Ember is a great choice or Carter's Chocolate Addiction, I would slightly favor the Ember since it has an open D loop hook unlike the Chocolate Addiction. If you are really considering a back tension release, I would start shooting with a Stanislovski Release for at least 6 months. This is a true back tension release with no trigger and will help cure target panic. This is a must in my opinion if you have shot with fingers or a caliper like I used too. Carter releases are very accurate when they are shot right, be patient and don't give up. Your shooting will improve greatly.

ontarget7
01-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Jim Fletcher Jimmy T not mentioned yet and very quite for a thumb release. Another benefit it wont break your wallet. You can probably pick one up for $60.00 - $70.00. Just another option for you

Blackbear74
01-22-2012, 05:25 AM
I shoot a T.R.U. Ball Pro Diamond Xtreme and love it. It is a dual caliper, four finger design. The trigger sensitivity can be set and with the unlimited trigger adjustment, I've got mine set almost like a tension type release. Maybe a little noise coming from it, but I haven't noticed it as that bad.

cali_hornhunter
01-22-2012, 10:22 AM
thanks for all the input ive shot some carters before but the thing that worries me is the noise of them having to be cocked to shoot ive been checking out the tru ball max 4 hunter anyone have any experience with that one?

wolftalonID
01-22-2012, 01:11 PM
I dont have anything bad to say about the back tension style releases, however there is one thing that has come to mind and its a consideration I looked at that took me away from them. Most of them do not have a wrist retention to them. Some have a small hole in which one could be added though. They tend to run more money than most trigger style.
When hunting elk I do tend to move often and it is easy to set it down and forget it on the ground.
This is why I dont use one. However if you do choose to shoot one, you can either drill a hole or if it has a hole in it add a retention lanyard so you dont loose it.
Just a thought to add when considering it for a main hunting option.

Blackbear74
01-22-2012, 01:25 PM
I dont have anything bad to say about the back tension style releases, however there is one thing that has come to mind and its a consideration I looked at that took me away from them. Most of them do not have a wrist retention to them. Some have a small hole in which one could be added though. They tend to run more money than most trigger style.
When hunting elk I do tend to move often and it is easy to set it down and forget it on the ground.
This is why I dont use one. However if you do choose to shoot one, you can either drill a hole or if it has a hole in it add a retention lanyard so you dont loose it.
Just a thought to add when considering it for a main hunting option.

This is a good point, but my Scott Longhorn Hex comes with a wrist strap.

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk.

archer8524
01-22-2012, 08:33 PM
The newer truballs have a "cutout" for a wrist strap. I shoot a chappy boss and love it!

H3Dad
01-23-2012, 10:09 AM
The noise from a Carter release isn't a problem with any of their products, but if you are concerned about it, the Ember release is cocked all the time all you have to do is hook it on your d loop draw pick a spot and pull. The wrist strap is an easy fix, get some of the plastic decoy cord and an decoy cord depth adjuster and on the cocking lever there is a hole to slide the cord thru, make a loop with the cord put the depth adjuster on and you have a strap

OR Archer
01-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Check out the new Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper. This is an awesome release. If I were to use one for hunting Id look at an open hing style for easier hook up.

cali_hornhunter
01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
thanks for all the great info guys definitely going to check out the new spot hogg release cant find it on there website but ill have to give them a call and check out carter and try to figure out the best way for a wrist strap or just magyver my own

pronghorn
02-13-2012, 01:19 PM
I have hunted with a Carter Colby for years. I use the Spike head, which they no longer make. It is what I was used to overcome years of target panic and it is what I have the most confidence in. I would not recommend them to everyone for hunting.

I tie a length of release rope to it so it is handy for hunting.

Jeffws
05-15-2012, 01:05 AM
I appreciate the recommendations which were given in this thread concerning the handhelds. I always wonder about all the different offers and options and sometimes it's difficult to find the right one... therefore reviews and recommendations are extremely important for me! I think I w (http://www.serenatachocolates.com)ill really check the Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper. It looks really good and might be the best!

labman
05-15-2012, 09:09 PM
The best release I have ever used super smooth!! http://www.overkillarchery.net/