PDA

View Full Version : Best deer unit?

Big Sky
01-18-2012, 03:29 PM
I have been puting in for unit 270 for the last few years but with 0.85 draw odds I am wondering what other areas would be worth looking at for a trophy deer permit. I hunt with both bow and rifle and have had fairly good luck in some general areas but looking for a good limited entry area to apply.

elk*hunter
01-18-2012, 04:42 PM
I assume mule deer, 261 pretty good last time I hunted it(5 years ago). The Mission Mtns. east of the Reservation is starting to produce trophy class mule deer, but gnarly country. What about the Crazy Mtns.? Never hunted there, but rumored to hold big bucks. Some of the other folks here probably got info about eastern Montana.

hvfd21walker
01-18-2012, 07:51 PM
If you quite putting in for 270 better odds for me.:)

Bitterroot Bulls
01-18-2012, 08:03 PM
I think the late hunt on the Rocky Mountain Front (Boone and Crockett Ranch) is hard to beat, when you take out 270. Many of the best deer in 261 are on closely guarded private land.

It isn't exactly a secret, but I will let Eastmans Forums know that 270 is on the upswing in both trophy quality and numbers after the lows of the past three years. If you are lucky enough to draw for the next few years, there should be a few special deer taken.