PDA

View Full Version : Public Land/DIY Archey Antelope in New Mexico Unit Suggestions?

TNHunter762
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Hey everyone I am from East TN so I've never hunted out west but I'm hoping after I graduate college in May that will change and I think the 1st animal I'd like to go after is a Antelope..... So can anybody suggest to me a good unit to do a Public Land Do-It-Yourself Archery Hunt in? I'm not asking for any honey holes just some ideas on units I need to be looking at.

Edelweiss
03-29-2012, 04:09 AM
There are only a couple hundred drawing bow-only antelope permits for the whole state. While there are almost a 1000 any sporting arm tags.

You will have 8 or 9 days to hunt where the muzzleloader and rifle guys will only have 3.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/publications/documents/rib/2012/sections/pronghorn_antelope.pdf

You will have a 1 in 1 to a 1 in 4 chance of drawing a archery only tag. For any weapon you'll have a 1 in 4 to 1 in 8 chance of drawing a tag.

It really doesn't matter where you go. I would order a NM land map from Delorme and take a look at areas marked as Bureau of Land Management Lands. Then make sure they are accessable by the main road system. Land locked public land is not public.

One of my favorite antelope haunts is the area near Socorro and the Stallion Missile Range. There are also a lot of gemsbok oryx in that area and a few aoudad. All free ranging, and tags are available through the draw. If timing was right you could get a depredation oryx tag and an antelope and then build a blind on some water holes.

Doe Nob
03-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Any reason you have your heart set on New Mexico? Have you looked at Wyoming or some of the other western states that have OTC archery tags?