PDA

View Full Version : Shed hunting

Drhorsepower
01-22-2012, 01:31 AM
What are strategies you guys use for finding sheds? Glassing, dogs, etc? I have never really went shed hunting before but think I might start this year. My spring usually involves looking for arrowheads.

Help is needed. Is there certain terrain features you look in. Thanks guys and happy hunting this spring. Im stoked!

Muleys 24/7
01-22-2012, 10:54 AM
When I go shed hunting I find most of them on north faceing slopes, at the base of them.It might be different in your neck of the woods? I just hike around all day looking for them.I go in March.

I have a yellow lab for ducks,but he hasn't been shed hunting. I'm thinkin he might do good because when I bring sheds home he gos nuts and wants to chew them all the time. Good luck

Grizz
01-22-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm with Muleys 24/7 about the time of year. In fact most of the best sheds I've picked up have come while Turkey hunting in April and May! I get serious about it in March though. I seems like anywhere the critters bed is a good place to look along with sun exposed benches or faces. I've found antlers on North Facing slopes too. Obviously any wintering grounds are hotspots.

I love to make a day of it, pack a pinic with the girlfriend or with the guys and some beers. It is usually a blast. My brother in Iowa begins now and his lab finds a ton of sheds. She has chewed them up since she was a puppy. Have fun and good luck.

jenbickel
01-22-2012, 07:16 PM
I glass and walk A LOT. Definitely on slopes that get the sunshine during the day. Good spots to look are definitely in their bedding areas and then even along fences. They will lose them going through fences and stuff like that so those are good spots to check also. I start shed hunting at the end of December for whitetails and then start in February for elk and some mule deer. I get super serious in March and go all the way until about the end of July. (It's no wonder I have no life)

Ikeepitcold
01-22-2012, 08:15 PM
I take my dog and she finds a few. I also look along fences too and bedding areas as well as trees with low branches close to the bedding areas.

Joe Hulburt
01-22-2012, 09:38 PM
I have a highly trained shed hunting machine....AKA pot licker! I spent a lot of time hiding sheds and letting her find them and was rewarded last spring when she came out of the brush packing a little spike shed....
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn144/joe222_2008/IMG_4383.jpg

Of course then she wouldn't let me have it and played keep a way for a while.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn144/joe222_2008/IMG_4387.jpg

She was only 7 months old so I have high hopes she will find me a big one this spring!

Ikeepitcold
01-23-2012, 05:06 PM
I give my dog the sheds I find and the small bucks we aren't going to mount. She chews them down to nothing there is always horns laying around the house and she knows they are hers so when she finds them she knows she has a new toy.

Drhorsepower
01-23-2012, 05:22 PM
I give my dog the sheds I find and the small bucks we aren't going to mount. She chews them down to nothing there is always horns laying around the house and she knows they are hers so when she finds them she knows she has a new toy.

My dogs 5. I'm going to teach an d dog a new trick!

elk*hunter
01-23-2012, 05:33 PM
(It's no wonder I have no life)

Sounds like a good life to me...hunting for something all year long. Remember the early bird gets the worm, or shed in this case!

Fink
01-23-2012, 08:46 PM

New shed dog! Or, I hope anyways...

jenbickel
01-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Sounds like a good life to me...hunting for something all year long. Remember the early bird gets the worm, or shed in this case!

That is true.. When you find them in the earlier months, they are usually the big bulls. I guess maybe I worded that wrong... It's no wonder I have no friends. Haha that's better :)

Drhorsepower
01-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to getting the family out. My wife loves looking for arrowheads and I think I have the perfect spot where we can kinda do both.

Kevin Root
01-24-2012, 09:02 AM
I saw an hunting article a while back on using a dog for shed hunting. It sounds like a good way to go as their sniffer can find things our eyes can't see. It kind of reminded me of bird hunting but instead of birds using dogs to find antlers. Anyway the below site, "Antler Dogs" seemed like a good idea to me.

http://www.antlerdogs.com/

RayleighsDad
01-24-2012, 10:01 AM
I own one of these dogs bought from Roger, Sharon and Amy this past summer. Remington is a great dog and I can't wait to get her in the field next week!

Kevin Root
01-24-2012, 11:31 AM
I own one of these dogs bought from Roger, Sharon and Amy this past summer. Remington is a great dog and I can't wait to get her in the field next week!

Very cool, let us know how you do. Did you get any of the training videos? If so, how did you like them?