PDA

View Full Version : Food the packs a punch :)

jenbickel
01-23-2012, 09:15 PM
So I am currently training and trying to of course build muscle and lose fat... It's for an MMA fight I have coming up in March. I was just curious if anyone had any suggestions of good foods to eat? Thanks :)

Haha the title was supposed to be food that packs a punch...

RUTTIN
01-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Where are you fighting at Jen? I think that would be fun to watch one of our own take on someone! You go Jen!

jenbickel
01-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Haha thanks!! I am just fighting here in Sheridan, WY. We have "Friday night fights" which is a pretty big thing in our little town! :)

cali_hornhunter
01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
i would probably just google it lol just like you were doing research for a hunt and find some info that u like and go with it im sure theres tons of info oout there MMA is really taking off in the world of sports

jenbickel
01-23-2012, 09:55 PM
I have googled it and didn't find nearly as much information as I would have hoped for. I figured it would probably be around the same foods as people take hunting.. a lot of protein packed stuff. I just thought that maybe the guys on here would have some suggestions of what they take with them hunting and then maybe I could not only get some ideas for my training but for the next hunting season as well.

Bitterroot Bulls
01-23-2012, 10:03 PM
You got it.

Lots of protein, little fat, little carbs, lots and lots of fresh veggies.

Egg whites, fish, lean chicken.

Stir fry with very little oil is great.

Good luck on your fight and keep the EFF (Eastman's Forums Faithful) posted!

jenbickel
01-23-2012, 10:05 PM
So I should put down the box of Mike and Ike's? lol Thanks Bitterroot!! :) I will definitely keep the EFF posted.. Haha y'all are like family to me now!

Bitterroot Bulls
01-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Another point to think about:

Train like you are running a marathon. Lots of cardio work. MMA is an endurance event. When you get closer to fight time, you can change your diet to include more carbs to prepare for the energy drain of the fight.

I'm excited to hear how it goes for you.

Jon Boy
01-23-2012, 11:25 PM
What gym do you train with? Might have to cruise down there with some guys from my gym to watch.
As far as a diet pretty much what bitter said if your trying to get more lean and not bulk up before the fight. It depends on your weight now and your fight weight.

BigSurArcher
01-23-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Jen. Starting to train hard for my 100 mile cycling event. I did it last year and placed 11th out of 600 or so, so I'm determined to make a good run at it again this year. I have more work to do to get in shape than I did at this time last year. It's at the end of April. Proper nutrition is definitely one of the most important factors for training... probably second only to mental determination. If you have those two criteria up to snuff, your training itself will fall into place just fine. Like an MMA fight, long distance cycling is an endurance event. To train for this you need to work on cardio... which means you need both CARBS and PROTEIN. Carbs will fuel your workouts, protein will repair your muscles. The tricky part is to not eat too many more carbs than you will be burning! During training I eat a ton of pasta, vegetables, fish/ chicken/ wild game, and protein shakes. Not much else as boring as it sounds... but it's worth it. I honestly think a big mutivitamin every day is beneficial also. If you feel like snacking on junk... JUST DRINK A BUNCH OF WATER. Last year I cut out all the fatty, greasy, junky stuff and I felt soo good. I slept better at night, and I was more alert during the day. My only fault was coffee... I drink at least 3 big cups throughout the day. Something that might keep you motivated is taking a picture of yourself every week in order to see your progress as you go along. It may feel awkward at first (it did for me) but after a few weeks it's pretty cool to see what the body is capable of. Train hard and set your goals high Jen, you will do great! I just started my heavy training and strict diet last week so if you want to share tips as we go along, PM me.

Drhorsepower
01-23-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Jen. Starting to train hard for my 100 mile cycling event. I did it last year and placed 11th out of 600 or so, so I'm determined to make a good run at it again this year. I have more work to do to get in shape than I did at this time last year. It's at the end of April. Proper nutrition is definitely one of the most important factors for training... probably second only to mental determination. If you have those two criteria up to snuff, your training itself will fall into place just fine. Like an MMA fight, long distance cycling is an endurance event. To train for this you need to work on cardio... which means you need both CARBS and PROTEIN. Carbs will fuel your workouts, protein will repair your muscles. The tricky part is to not eat too many more carbs than you will be burning! During training I eat a ton of pasta, vegetables, fish/ chicken/ wild game, and protein shakes. Not much else as boring as it sounds... but it's worth it. I honestly think a big mutivitamin every day is beneficial also. If you feel like snacking on junk... JUST DRINK A BUNCH OF WATER. Last year I cut out all the fatty, greasy, junky stuff and I felt soo good. I slept better at night, and I was more alert during the day. My only fault was coffee... I drink at least 3 big cups throughout the day. Something that might keep you motivated is taking a picture of yourself every week in order to see your progress as you go along. It may feel awkward at first (it did for me) but after a few weeks it's pretty cool to see what the body is capable of. Train hard and set your goals high Jen, you will do great! I just started my heavy training and strict diet last week so if you want to share tips as we go along, PM me.

Are you training for the wildflower? I know that's in April!
Jen, all good advice here. Eating healthy is hard, it takes mental determination for alot of people. That's a good trick BSA mentioned with water instead of sweets! I like that and am going to use it. Also keep in mind not to cut out sweets and stuff you like completely, it will cause you to binge later on that and ruin alot of hard work. I have 3-4 starbursts a day. Red and orange of course :)

01-23-2012, 11:41 PM
The P90x system has an excellent diet. You can google it and download the diet for free. Also the South Beach Diet is great for atheletes. Its basically a meat and veggie diet, but you can eat as much as you want as long as its on the list. I have used it for marathon training and for getting fit for rock climbing. Good luck!

01-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Oh yeah, Citomax is a great , not too expensive, recovery drink that helps load up your muscles with glycogen for the next workout. Ive used this and it really helps fight off that sore, fatigue feeling from consecutive workouts.

Drhorsepower
01-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Oh yeah, Citomax is a great , not too expensive, recovery drink that helps load up your muscles with glycogen for the next workout. Ive used this and it really helps fight off that sore, fatigue feeling from consecutive workouts.

Not to take anything away, glycogen is stored in liver. FYI. Citomax is great.

BigSurArcher
01-24-2012, 12:41 AM
The Wildflower is actually a triathlon. I'm doing the Sea Otter Classic. I'll tell you what though... that Wildflower event goes through some niiiiice hog and deer hunting country. I know a few folks that live/ hunt down there.

Drhorsepower
01-24-2012, 01:02 AM
The Wildflower is actually a triathlon. I'm doing the Sea Otter Classic. I'll tell you what though... that Wildflower event goes through some niiiiice hog and deer hunting country. I know a few folks that live/ hunt down there.

The wildflower I'm thinking of is out of chico, http://www.chicovelo.org/main/century-series/26-wildflower

I have a lot of friends that go down there for this ride, I keep threatening to do it, There always seems to be something else going on that is more important.

Bitterroot Bulls
01-24-2012, 06:38 AM

11th at Sea Otter last year? Very impressive, BSA.

jenbickel
01-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Bitterroot- Thank you so much again, you definitely helped me out a lot!!

Jon Boy- I train down with Harbour Combat :)

BigSur- Finishing 11th our of 600 is awesome!! Congrats to you and good luck this year!! I will definitely PM you so we can share tips as we go along.. Maybe a little motivation also.. Haha.

DrHorsepower- Can I have your yellow starbursts? Those are my favorite!! Haha. I am definitely going to have to try the water trick that BigSur mentioned too. I have a very large sweet tooth! I agree on the binging part.. Or maybe it's just because you told me I can still have some sweets that I agree.. lol Thanks for your help!!

8750- I will have to look up the diets. It would definitely be helpful to see what I should and can eat. Thank you so much!

I love you guys :) Haha.

01-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Not to take anything away, glycogen is stored in liver. FYI. Citomax is great.

Glycogen is made and stored in the liver and is stored in all cells as a reserve to power respiration when glucose levels in the blood drop. If you have ever "bonked" or crashed during exercise it is because the glycogen reserves were depleted. Marathon runners experience this on every marathon (well mortal marathoners anyway) because the body theoretically only has enough glycogen and glucose levels to sustain about 21 miles of effort. After that the body has to start breaking down tissue to power respiration. FYI I am talking about cell respiration, not breathing.

Kevin Root
01-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Lots of good information and positive inspiration here. Best wishes to you jenbickel in Sheridan and you too BigSurArcher in the Sea Otter Classic in Montery! Set your mind to it, keep at it and don't give up and I'm sure you will do great! This thread now has me more inspired to eat and workout better too. Thanks everyone! :D

Drhorsepower
01-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Glycogen is made and stored in the liver and is stored in all cells as a reserve to power respiration when glucose levels in the blood drop. If you have ever "bonked" or crashed during exercise it is because the glycogen reserves were depleted. Marathon runners experience this on every marathon (well mortal marathoners anyway) because the body theoretically only has enough glycogen and glucose levels to sustain about 21 miles of effort. After that the body has to start breaking down tissue to power respiration. FYI I am talking about cell respiration, not breathing.

You are correct, I have taken a few anatomy classes and never knew about muscle storing glucose. I should have went to the end all be all first (Wikipedia) before opening my mouth :)

elk*hunter
01-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Nice! My buddy that I work with fights in Missoula. Pretty interesting sport. Jen, go Paleo Diet all the way. Meat, veggies, no sugar, little or no carbs, no caffeine. I am a crossfit junky and I saw a huge turn around in my abilities going Paleo. Good luck and send out a date and location for the fight too!

jenbickel
01-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks so much elk*hunter! I will check it out :)

The fight is here in Sheridan.. on March 13th

jenbickel
03-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Just wanted to update everyone! The fight was last night! We went all 3 rounds. The scores were 30-27 29-27 and 30-27 with the winner by unanimous decision, me!! :) it was an awesome fight! People were betting agains me because I was wearing a hot pink outfit! Haha I ended up breaking her nose and winning with an almost perfect score!!!

Bitterroot Bulls
03-17-2012, 12:01 PM
You are one Bad Apple Jen!

Congrats!

BigSurArcher
03-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Hell ya, good work Jen. That's awesome!

Drhorsepower
03-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Note to self, dont mess with Jen.

Kevin Root
03-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Congratulations Jen!

NoMoreOldNo7
03-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah Right On Jen. Think Drhorsepower got it right, I'm staying on your good side. Congrats

sjsmallfield
03-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Nice job Jen. Congrats. You said your score was almost perfect. I thought women were always perfect! Just ask my wife!!! Lol

Bitterroot Bulls
03-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Jen,

You ought to post a pic of your battle wounds. Got any good shiners?

brooks
03-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Hey thats pretty cool,congrats. I am a big mma fan did you see the Rousy vs tate fight on strikeforce couple weeks ago?
Keep up the good work you might be the first girl fighter in the UFC. Whos your favorite fighter ? I know alot of people don't like these guys but I sure like to watch Nick and Nate Diaz fight, true hard core fighters.

Jon Boy
03-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Hey thats pretty cool,congrats. I am a big mma fan did you see the Rousy vs tate fight on strikeforce couple weeks ago?

That was an awesome fight. Tate got ran through.
Congrats on the win Jen!!

jenbickel
03-17-2012, 10:38 PM
They are good fighters!! I love Faber. He is little but he is a machine! I've also always loved chuck Liddell. I would post a picture of my injuries but I honestly have none. she only got one good punch in straight to my temple pretty much. She is a wrestler and kept trying to take me down. That's where upper cuts and knees helped me big time!!!

jenbickel
03-17-2012, 10:41 PM
PS thanks everyone!! My cousin taped it so I will hopefully get to upload the video soon!

brooks
03-18-2012, 08:16 AM
I hope Faber takes Cruz OUT when TUF ends !!

BobT
03-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Congrats! Waiting for the video :)

jenbickel
03-19-2012, 10:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99I7uxb41OI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There's the link to the video!!! :)

Bitterroot Bulls
03-19-2012, 11:21 AM
That video is so great!

I love your friends.

At the beginning ... "oh, I'm gonna puke, my heart is beating so fast", etc. in a calm, worried tone.

During the fight "Get her! Hit her! Knee! Knee!" in a maniacal scream.

Classic.

That was a butt kicking, Jen.

jenbickel
03-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Hahahaha arent they great? I was laughing so hard listening to them when I watched the video! And thank you! It was a lot of fun!!!

Jon Boy
03-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Saw it on FB. Awesome stand up, she had no answer for it. Congrats on the W. Sorry but I had to mute it though LOL

sjsmallfield
03-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Congrats on the WIN Jen!

dito
03-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Man, I miss training jits. Got staph(mrsa) twice and that was enough for me!

dcannon
03-19-2012, 02:59 PM
That was a good pounding you dished out! Hope you gave that corner man a hard time!

HuskyMusky
03-19-2012, 03:43 PM
I love MMA and Boxing, but it's one of those sports I would never want to do, aside from training.

congrats on the win.

RUTTIN
03-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Ha! That was great Jen congrats!

brooks
03-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Takes courge to put the gloves on and get in the cage. Great fight!! Whens your next fight ?

jenbickel
03-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone!!! :) I'm not sure when my next fight will be. I'm supposed to be getting my tonsils out so it may not be until may!