PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Cargo / Hunting Trailer Conversion

packer58
01-25-2012, 09:52 PM
My next hunt'n gear project is going to be an enclosed cargo trailer conversion into a hunt'n trailer. It will probaly be a 7 X 14 with enough room to haul a couple of quads end to end along with some othe gear. I have a lot of ideas of how i will put this thing together.

If there's any of you that have modified a cargo trailer into a HUNT'N MACHINE share your ideas or even better post some pics !!!!!!

Thanks

jenbickel
01-25-2012, 10:26 PM
I've seen people with those! They are actually pretty sweet! One person I know had beds that like folded up against the wall so that when they werent in use, they could have extra room. I'm not that creative, I'd throw down a cot and call it good.. or an inflatable mattress. I know, this post did not help you at all.. lol

gary5465
01-26-2012, 07:06 AM
I thought of doing the same thing. With mine, I'd make it like a truck camper that I could lift on and off the trailer when I just need it for hauling. I like the idea of fold up cots. I'd also have an option to have the back side fold down and strong enough to serve as a ramp for loading ATV's. Just a DIY toy hauler. Would be a fun project and built the way you want it. I'm interested to see what people post.

Colorado Cowboy
01-26-2012, 07:52 AM
I have been mulling over the same idea, possibly as long as 20' with an entry door in front too. Would like to have some builtin cabs foe storage of food, cooking stuff & possibly small sink. My idea would be much like a camper with folding bunks too. Only your imagination and BUDGET are needed! The nice thing about it would be a place to store my 2 quads and get them out of my already overstuffed garage.

packer58
01-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Yep, I hear ya.

The biggest advantage is the ability to stay somewhat mobile during my hunts. At times it's a real bummer setting up and taking down tents and other stuff for one or two days just to move into another area. Also, your gear / quads will get to where your going CLEAN...not covered in mud or all the backwash from the highways. The other advantage is when you get back from a trip, just unload the things that need to be washed or cleaned up and leave the rest alone......no more completely unloading everything.

I'll probably keep it pretty simple but comfortable...........My imagination is much larger than my budget :D

Drhorsepower
01-26-2012, 01:38 PM
I have been mulling over the same idea, possibly as long as 20' with an entry door in front too. Would like to have some builtin cabs foe storage of food, cooking stuff & possibly small sink. My idea would be much like a camper with folding bunks too. Only your imagination and BUDGET are needed! The nice thing about it would be a place to store my 2 quads and get them out of my already overstuffed garage.

Sounds like you need a toy hauler cc!

Bonecollector86
01-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Packer,

I built my own "Hunting cabin/toy hauler/camper" last summer" I ordered and customized a black 2011 enclosed trailer with a ramp. I got a 7x14 with a 2 ft. V-nose and made the interior 7ft. tall. Most enclosed trailers are 5.5 to 6 ft tall and that is not big enough. I also got a tandem axle. Single on that size does not ride smooth and sways, plus single axles are not meant for hauling heavy objects. I put in a camper door, 3 windows, I removed the original plywood and insulated the entire trailer that screwed the plywood back in and did knotty pine interior, rustic wood vinyl flooring, 1 tall cabinet, 4 interior dome rv camper lights, bought 1 nice big piece of remnant shag carpet to lay down on the floor during the fall, have two futons that go from being nice couchs to folding into two beds. All we use for heat is a Big little buddy heater that we connect to a large propane tank so you don't have to keep changing bottles every 4 hours. I also baught a heavy duty marine 12V battery that we charge and it will run our lights for an entire week no problem. I have a Polaris Ranger with a cab on it that we use for hunting so when we load it up all we do is stack the beds and everything in the front and load the ranger up the ramp, lock the doors and head out. Best thing I have ever made/thought of. I have roughly 8000 in it for a brand new rig.

I did not want bathrooms or sinks and a bunch of other crap that I didn't need that comes in your Ice castle fish houses or toy haulers. I just wanted it simple, easy to clean, light to tow, and comfortable to sleep in. Its nice to be able to open the ramp and sweep everything out when your done using it each time. There is also absolutely NO WAY mice can get in. I will try and post some pics. You can easily build your own and do it all by yourself after purchasing the basic enclosed trailer, or spend 20-40 grand on much heavier trailers that come with a bunch of stuff you will never use in the backcountry IMO.

Bonecollector86
01-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Woops, sorry I meant to type I have a 7x16 with a 2 ft V-nose. You will want to go with this size, 7x14 is not big enough once you get everyhting in there. That was the size I originally wanted and thank god I went a little bigger because it would have been wayyy to tight.

Jon Boy
01-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Sounds interesting. Lets see some pics BoneCollecter!

packer58
01-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Bonecollector86,

That sounds pretty sweet......how's that 16 footer do on the rougher roads, any draging isues........did you go spring over on the axles

EdD270
01-28-2012, 04:13 PM
I have an old 5x8 rental trailer that I made into a camping trailer. Some friends christened it the Mobile Man Cave. I built a box along one wall that holds sleeping bags, mattresses, cooking gear, lanterns, etc. and is the same width as a military style camp cot so those mattresses fit. On the other wall there's a folding table, and a big water tank I made out of an old Navy powder canister and an RV hand pump, it holds about 30 gal. I also put a loft in the front to hold misc. gear. I got a metal box on the tongue for shovel, axe, saw, other tools and hardware. It's not much to look at, but it's comfy. Plenty of room for me, and to haul our larger tents and etc. when the whole family goes camping.

HuskyMusky
01-28-2012, 05:24 PM
bunk beds? always thought it would be nice to pull in, unload the atvs or whatever and be ready to sleep, esp in a rain/snow storm vs. a tent...

WyoBowhunter
01-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Sounds like a great plan! I think it would be a good investment. An idea that may help is a portable closet, that way you can hang up those wet clothes, coats etc. Don't forget a gun rack/bow rack.

packer58
02-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys and gals for the different ideas.........still kickin ideas around, when i get finished i'll share some pics.

packer58
09-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Well, finally found the right deal on a cargo trailer. Picked up a 2007 Continental Cargo / 7 X 14 with a 2 ft v-nose. Two quads fit well with some extra room in the v-nose portion and along side the machines.
I started the spring over modification this morning to give it some ground clearance, should have it back together in the the morning.
My next step is to install an RV style lockable door latch on the side door.

Drhorsepower
09-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Sweet packer! Keep us posted on progress. Draw any tags this year?

packer58
09-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Sweet packer! Keep us posted on progress. Draw any tags this year?

Bombed out on the desert tag and drew a A1 "C zones archery". Can't get to excited with that tag. I did draw a Colorado 62 second rifle deer tag.

Drhorsepower
09-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Bombed out on the desert tag and drew a A1 "C zones archery". Can't get to excited with that tag. I did draw a Colorado 62 second rifle deer tag.

Will you have your trailer done for Colorado?
My old man wanted me to put in for c zone archery as second choice, alot of money to cough up as a non res though for that tag. I should have bought the lifetime hunting license when I was a resident, I would be set. Coulda shoulda woulda.

packer58
09-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Finished up the spring over mod, the trailer now has about 17" of clearance under the body with 14" tires and wheels. I may go with 15" tires and wheels to get a little more axle clearance.

DR, it'll be ready enough:cool:

Ikeepitcold
09-09-2012, 07:43 PM
I like it! I've thought of doing this a few times as well. I like the Jumping Jack trailers but way to spendy. This way you can make it your own and to your liking. Good job!

300 short mag
11-29-2012, 09:10 PM
I bought a 7x14 plus a 3. Ft v nose tandem axels built a set of bunk bed that go across the back that raise and lower so I can load and haul 2 atv's in in the front v nose I built a Formica top that you can cook on etc it has one shelf under it to hold what ever. Under the shelf up front I installed a 16000 btu RV heater with forced air fan that runs on 12 volt along with 12 volt lights I also made a fold up table on 1 side about 34x34 inches is really nice being able to sleep on a full size twin size mattress I fully insulated the walls and ceiling but not the floor I am pleased on how it came out but the mileage pulling it sucks 11 mpg diesel.I also have it wired and have 4 2ft fluorescent lights and 2 110 volt recepitals installed to runoff a generator. Hope this helps someone . John

300 short mag
11-29-2012, 09:12 PM
I bought a 7x14 plus a 3. Ft v nose tandem axels built a set of bunk bed that go across the back that raise and lower so I can load and haul 2 atv's in in the front v nose I built a Formica top that you can cook on etc it has one shelf under it to hold what ever. Under the shelf up front I installed a 16000 btu RV heater with forced air fan that runs on 12 volt along with 12 volt lights I also made a fold up table on 1 side about 34x34 inches is really nice being able to sleep on a full size twin size mattress I fully insulated the walls and ceiling but not the floor I am pleased on how it came out but the mileage pulling it sucks 11 mpg diesel.I also have it wired and have 4 2ft fluorescent lights and 2 110 volt recepitals installed to runoff a generator. Hope this helps someone . John

packer58
05-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Well, here's an update on the progress of my cargo trailer mod. I installed a lockable RV style door latch on the man door.

Pulled out all the plywood, insulated with rigid sheets, fully wired for inside and outside lighting and reinstalled the plywood. Also applied a few coats of Thompsons water seal to both sides of the plywood before install.

Installed RV outside lights, three on the man door side and two on the other, all individually switched.

Installed two RV deep cycles wire in series up front in the V portion, with the RV plug the batteries will be charging while in tow. Also fused all my light circuits.

Here's a pick of the switch panel I put together, all lights have there own switch.

Still have to install the fold up cots and table, insulate the ceiling and sheet it. I also picked up a 20 watt solar panel with controller, i'll mount it on the roof up front.

ssliger
05-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Looking good!

Muleys 24/7
05-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Nice little project you got going. Looks good

Caseyu
05-18-2013, 11:32 AM
My brother and i have wanted to this project for a long time man. And you have a great start i will be following your progress

sjsmallfield
05-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Looks awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product.

packer58
05-18-2013, 10:19 PM
I can't wait to see the finished product either, unfortunately I have a tendency to never completely finish a project. Just keep adding things and tweaking others. Hopefully on this project I'll know when to stop and just use it.

Trevor_20
05-19-2013, 09:39 PM
I can't wait to see the finished product either, unfortunately I have a tendency to never completely finish a project. Just keep adding things and tweaking others. Hopefully on this project I'll know when to stop and just use it.

i would highly suggest a bug net on both doors and stitch it pieces of medal with magnets on the frame to keep out bugs or use Velcro.. i did that to my hunting trailer and made life much easier in the field!!!

packer58
05-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Good tip.......Thanks Trevor

packer58
05-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Worked on the trailer build a little over the last few days, trying to figure out how to hang a ledger on the wall for my cots that will fold up against the wall. Well it finally came to me......automotive clip fasteners, worked out really well to attach the 1 1/2 angle ledger and strong as hell.

Here's the 1 1/2 angle iron ledger in place, I will weld hinges (cots to ledger) so I can fold them up when not in use.

Started on the framework for the battery compartment, storage and counter top in the v portion.

packer58
05-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Fabed out a propane bottle rack that slips in a receiver welded to the tonge, built the shelf to fit a milk crate. I'm not sure but I think you can go to prison for "BARROWING" milk crates but i'll take the chance.

Solar panel is installed over the man door, still have to run the wires through the roof and connect to controller and batteries.

25contender
05-29-2013, 10:28 PM
I got some great Ideas from this thread for mine. Looks good. Thanks Mark

packer58
05-29-2013, 11:01 PM
I got some great Ideas from this thread for mine. Looks good. Thanks Mark

That's what it's all about, sharing what you can............your welcome

Trevor_20
05-30-2013, 02:30 AM
Fabed out a propane bottle rack that slips in a receiver welded to the tonge, built the shelf to fit a milk crate. I'm not sure but I think you can go to prison for "BARROWING" milk crates but i'll take the chance.

Solar panel is installed over the man door, still have to run the wires through the roof and connect to controller and batteries.

how much was the solar panel and how much power will it give off?

packer58
05-30-2013, 09:14 AM
how much was the solar panel and how much power will it give off?

The panel is a 20 watt and didn't cost me anything, did a little trading with a buddy. I love to horse trade :cool:

packer58
06-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Worked on my trailer mod a bit more this weekend and finished welding the cot frames. The frames are constructed of 1" EMT with pre bent 90* corners. One of the pics shows how I constructed the leg hinges, they work really well. I didn't want cot legs that either screwed in or pined so I came up with this hinge idea, when you fold the cot against the wall the legs fold against the bed, when you fold the cots down for use gravity folds the legs down.

sjsmallfield
07-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Looking good packer. That thing is going to be awesome!

packer58
11-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Well, here's a progress update on the trailer build. Purchased some cordura fabric and had a local tarp and awning shop cut, sew and install grommets in the cot material.

I used p-cord to lace the fabric to the frame.

This is what I came up with to latch the cots to the wall when not in use, worked out pretty slick.

packer58
11-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Lower cabinets are done.

Batteries are in the bottom with fuse panel.

In the top cabinet I installed a battery charger for the onboard 12 volt system when I'm on a generator or plugged into a 120v source.

I installed a couple 12v cigarette type plug-ins for charging misc. pieces of equipment...cell phones, gps etc. Also installed 120v wall plug for whatever and plumbed in the propane for stove and heater.

packer58
11-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Here's the propane and electric cord setup, I used a 30 cal ammo can for the electrical cord and propane hose storage.

Ikeepitcold
11-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Very cool man. You've def put a lot of thought in to this.

Drhorsepower
11-22-2013, 08:22 AM
That's sweet packer! Coming along nicely.

Kevin Root
11-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Great idea, the trailer is looking great. I've read about some guys converting horse trailers into hunting/cargo trailers too and getting multi use out of them.

JMSZ
11-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Here's the propane and electric cord setup, I used a 30 cal ammo can for the electrical cord and propane hose storage.

Packer, what are you doing for heat?

I just got a truck camper from my neighbor and I'm going to set it up to mount on my car hauler (16ft).

I'm going to use the over-the cab part for batteries, storage, etc and I'm thinking about modifying that area and putting in a propane bottle wood stove.

I've looked at a bunch of different options for propane and none that I've seen could be used without concerns about carbon monoxide/low oxygen issues without major modifications or just leaving windows open for ventilation, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Plus, there's the cost of propane and there's plenty of wood where I hunt.

I want something that doesn't require running a generator, so that eliminates electric heat.

So, I'm thinking the propane bottle stove sealed up with an outside air intake is the best option.

Just curious on what you (and anybody else) are doing.

Thanks.

2rocky
11-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Some nice craftsmanship.

When it is all said and done I'd be interested in a total cost and total time. I know the pleasure is in the PROJECT, but I can also understand how those Toy haulers are the price they are for a reason...

I've been contemplating adding some batteries to my Horse trailer electrical system...

packer58
11-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Packer, what are you doing for heat?

I just got a truck camper from my neighbor and I'm going to set it up to mount on my car hauler (16ft).

I'm going to use the over-the cab part for batteries, storage, etc and I'm thinking about modifying that area and putting in a propane bottle wood stove.

I've looked at a bunch of different options for propane and none that I've seen could be used without concerns about carbon monoxide/low oxygen issues without major modifications or just leaving windows open for ventilation, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Plus, there's the cost of propane and there's plenty of wood where I hunt.

I want something that doesn't require running a generator, so that eliminates electric heat.

So, I'm thinking the propane bottle stove sealed up with an outside air intake is the best option.

Just curious on what you (and anybody else) are doing.

Thanks.

JMSZ, my heater is a Mr Heater Big Buddy. It has a built in pilot light and low oxygen sensor. I've also installed a carbon monoxide detector in the trailer just to be on the safe side. Personally I like the convenience and instant heat that propane provides over a wood stove.

JMSZ
11-22-2013, 08:43 PM
JMSZ, my heater is a Mr Heater Big Buddy. It has a built in pilot light and low oxygen sensor. I've also installed a carbon monoxide detector in the trailer just to be on the safe side. Personally I like the convenience and instant heat that propane provides over a wood stove.

Gotcha, thanks. And nice set-up.

Bwht4x4
11-25-2013, 11:50 AM
I have a trailer identical to this that I use in the exact same way. Of course it's not customized to this level.

However, I got tired of dragging it down the dirt roads on a hunting trip with all my gear in it only to open it up and have EVERYTHING in the trailer coated in dust. The amount of dust is amazing and would get into everything. I had to use roll-top dry bags to keep the dust out. The other issue is that the trailer gets hammered by a lot of washboard dirt road driving. I've had to completely redo my floor because it has come loose.

So, I recently went the other way with buying a Four Wheel Camper for my Dodge Ram 2500 (http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/index.php/products/for-full-size-trucks/hawk-6-5-short-bed/). It'll have everything except an inside shower (it's outside and wall mounted). It'll sleep a family of 4 comfortably, but only 2 hunters as the sleeping arrangement is cozy. I'll still drag my enclosed trailer around to haul my quad, but I'm done sleeping in it with all the dust. I'm going to rig the camper with a solar panel and refrigerator too and dual batteries, so it'll run indefinitely.

For my style of hunting it'll be perfect.